Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Buying some Orks
Old 17 Sep 2007, 19:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Buying some Orks

Hi.

I've got a friend who used to play 40k, but gave up. He still has some Orks though. So I'm buying them with what money I got selling my old Pokemon cards. ;D

So, that's the start of my Ork army, can't wait for the update next year! I was considering Kroot and Daemonhunters, but I fell for the WAAAGHHH!!

So, any advice on what to buy next? Tips on repainting Orks?

Thanks,

-Lord of the Pit
Frosty05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2007, 19:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Buying some Orks

What to buy next would depend on exactly what you're getting now and how you plan to play them. Do you want a troop heavy army of footsloggers, a fast attack oriented army, maybe focus more on elite units and heavy support, some combination of these or something completely different? There's a pretty diverse list of good units, only going to get better with the new Codex it seems, so you can't go wrong.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 21:42   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Yeah - it depends on what you are getting. But if you are getting a small army to start with, I highly recomend another box of Boyz - your going to need a solid core of lads, no matter how you go about it.

Oh and a warboss - just for the sheer joy of modelling one rather than anything else.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2007, 15:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

He's bringing them to school tommorow. I reckon I'll have about 14 Ork Boyz, and he'll probably give them to me for free. (he doesn't want them, useless clutter) In the meantime, I made myself about 17 euros selling my Pokemon cards today, and in addition to my pocket money, 27, so I'm going to buy another box of Boyz.

Any tips on making a shooty Ork army? I like the phrase...:

"Orks can't aim worth shit, but they'll wipe you out through the sheer laws of probability because there's so many of the ****ers." - Uncyclopedia, I take no responsibility for what's contained in the quote. ;D

I'll remember to get a Warboss.

-Lord of the Pit
Old 18 Sep 2007, 17:41   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Firstly - remember to get yourself a unique warboss. I am totally fed up of seeing the same damn warboss over and over again.

Secondly - shooty orks!! Novel idea old spice! Basically, just play it like regular orks - lots of troops, and hide them behind some grots. Take about 40 regular shoota boyz divided into 2 squads of 20 and fill it out with your heavy weapon of choice - big shootas or Rokkit launchas. And, obviously give it to your nob aswell. Then it's just a matter of grabbing other shooty units - big gunz, wartrakks, flash gitz (you'll love these!).

Really, it will be jut a matter of loading up on the shooty stuff (leave the 'gitz for 1500+ point games), running up to rapid fire range, and out lasting your opponent in a short ranged fire fight.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 19:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You think shooty Orks will be better than standard Orks or just get hammered?

Any ideas on custom Warbosses?

Old 18 Sep 2007, 19:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Shooty Orks do damn well from what I've heard. Going with SILK's advice of 2 Shoota units of 20 each. If you put 3 big shootas, special weapon limit, in each unit and then add a Nob to each also with a big shoota, that's 4 each unit. These are assault 3 weapons, so those alone get you 12 shots. That leaves you with 17 boyz a unit with shootas, rapid fire weapons, so at range each unit will get you 17 shots. If you're in rapid fire range then each unit gives you 34 shots each. Factor in the big shootas and each unit gets you 12 big shoota shots and 17-34 shoota shots, so 29-46 shots from each unit of Shoota Boyz.

Old 18 Sep 2007, 19:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hehe, I've made a bet with myself. If he brings more Shootas than Sluggas, I'll collect a shooty army. And vice versa.

Seems like a really fun idea though, and when my Shootas are about to be killed, I throw them at the pesky marines!

Thing is, do they work in tournaments too? If so, I'll be shocked.

-Lord of the Pit
Old 18 Sep 2007, 19:56   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

And lets not forget the shots that are fired when moving in into rapid fire range. You should be getting sufficient shots to be able to mow down anything that is an infantry model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Pit
Any ideas on custom Warbosses?
Hmmm... On first analysis a guy with a big shoota seems tempting... but you are going to need something to counter assault. And the warboss is just begging to be used in this way!! You are going to need to buy another squad to go with him - but don't worry It will be fairly painless.

I'd be very tempted to do this: Get a warboss, give him a power klaw and a choppa. Then, deciding on your points, give him a nob bodyguard with eavy armour, sluggas and choppas. Nothing more - don't want them to be expensive and fatty! And then buy the trukk, with grot riggers.

If you are struggling for points - take a trukk boyz mob instead, give the nob a klaw, add the boss.

The plan is to thunder down a flank and slam into the shootiest squad you can find. Cause chaos in the ranks, massacre all those who stand in your way, Annihalate those things that will hamper your progress! And by the time your opponent has managed to drive them away the footsloggers in your army will be close enough to empty their shooters into the fools bodies!
Old 19 Sep 2007, 16:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hehe, I've found 2 more people willing to sell their Orks. ;D

Well, I've decided to play a footslogging army, with some fast support from buggies/wartraks, as well as taking a Battlewagon! 3 Twin-Linked Big Shootas, and 5 normal ones? I can't resist! As well as the transport capactiy.

-Lord of the Pit