Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

starting Orks
Old 06 Sep 2007, 00:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default starting Orks

I was wondering what the best thing to buy after the codex was I was also wondering what everyone thought of my idea too add lots of kroot in my army
I want to have about an equal amount of points in Kroot and orks for a 500 point starting list
I already have 10 kroot

Timokrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2007, 00:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to inuyasha1162
Default Re: starting Orks

well...assuming it's an unofficial list. i have no clue.

Kroots and orks don't make sense. As kroots are tau allies. and orks...well...just like to kill things.

That's my opinion... and understanding...
inuyasha1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2007, 01:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Shiki

I thought the kroot were more like mercinaries not really taking a side so to speak. Another thing you should look at getting is a warboss and either the battlebox or maybe 2-3 boxes of boyz.
I always get the feeling that his craftworld was invaded while he was in the shower and he only had time to grab a bath robe and a sword
Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2007, 01:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've never used Kroot but others here do and love them. Once you have the codex, as Shiki said, a couple boxes of boyz is the best route then add in the Warboss. The beauty of a box of boyz is that with some imagination and some conversion you can have any Ork unit you want.
Old 06 Sep 2007, 02:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

a quick question after the 2-3 sets of boyz what are some units to look at getting?
I always get the feeling that his craftworld was invaded while he was in the shower and he only had time to grab a bath robe and a sword
Old 06 Sep 2007, 04:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

kroot legally may be added to an ork army
go read the kroot merc list on gws website.
I was thinking of using Kroot headhunters and Krootox as fire support for the Orks as they
have BS 3 they could also help in assualts with Evisecrator Shapers
I am still however making up a list

Timokrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2007, 05:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiki
a quick question after the 2-3 sets of boyz what are some units to look at getting?
I think that adding some Wartrakks or Warbuggies (either or; it's personal preference at this point) would be a good idea at that point for a couple or reasons:

-Your Boyz should be able to dish our quite a bit of hurt, but they're slow moving. A group of Trakks with Rokkits can really help your Boyz dealing with armour as they excel at swooping around flanks and planing rokkits up tailpipes. Also, since your Boyz generally lack hard-hitting anti-armour weaponry, having some Rokkit Trakks can be a really help.

-Adding some Wartrakks with Big Shootas be helpful, too. The fact that the Big Shoota is twin-linked really helps as you'll be able to pulp quite a few targets per turn. Also, with the Big Shoota's decent Strength, you'll be able to threaten rear armour on most tanks. While you'll still need a decent roll to hurt it, you can always get lucky.

-Trakks can act as an excellent distraction to draw attention away from your Boyz or your Trukks. The fact that they move fast and they can get quite shooty will often make your opponent think they're more threatening than that harmless little Trukk full of Greenskins. Too bad they're wrong. While this may not work on some Ork-fighting veterans, most people will focus their firepower on the Trakks.

If you've got something against Wartrakks or Warbuggies, then maybe looting a Griffion might be a good idea or getting some other form of heavy-duty indirect fire support. That's one of the aspects in which the current incarnation of Orks is most severely lacking. The Griffon is (in case you don't know) a mid-ranged heavy mortar mounted on a Chimera chassis, essentially. They're able to scoot around the battlefield and drop some nice sized shells on enemies heads. They do, however, lack the armour needed to take hits from enemy anti-armour weapons so it's smart to keep them hidden behind LOS-blocking terrain where their Indirect fire ability really gets to shine.

If you were a wimp (), I guess you could loot a Basilisk but I'm slightly very anti-Bassie. While it is a beautiful tank and it has range to reach across any field (lest you play Tennis-hammer or similar massive games), I just don't feel that it belongs in 40k. I'd take the Griffion over a smelly Bassie any day.

Or if you don't like dropping pie plates on your opponent and you've got some bizarre dislike for the Trakk, you could just add more Boyz. You can almost never go wrong with more Boyz.

Although, with some odd rumors about the abolishment of looted vehicles floating around the internet and the possibility that GW will make us start to pay +so-many points to upgrade our Warbuggies to the more than superoir Wartrakk, you may want to play it safe with just grabbing some more Boyz at this point. The new Codex should be out soon. What is it now, three months-ish?

Hope that helps,

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2007, 06:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

hmm I was planning to stay away from buggies and trakks etc because I know the guy at a GW said somethign about all of them getting redone when the new codex is out. Also I think for Australia it is supposed to be January some time
Old 06 Sep 2007, 17:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Bah, buy some buggies, buy some trakks, buy some veichle-bitz out of some guy on Ebay who wants overprise for it and grab som plasticard. Then go nuts

Thats how about ever proppa ork player does it. GW gives us some weedy veichles thats just getting scrapped.

And what mek don't use a fine scrappile!?
Old 06 Sep 2007, 23:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

you know you make a point, maybe I will pick up some trakks. Or would a better idea be to get the battleforce so i get some bikes and a few other thigns