Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

green iz best! New ork player with questions.
Old 03 Sep 2007, 01:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to inuyasha1162
Default green iz best! New ork player with questions.

Hello again! Sorry to post twice. I feel like i'm spamming.

But! i have decided to start up some orks!

Now, i have the codex...and...first off...

For my first 500 points....would a ...
warboss (with a 'uge choppa and pistol)
and 3x 16 squads of Sluggaz be goood?

Also, I don't know if i get the mob up rule all the way.

When a squad of orks falls back and needs to regroup, if it runs into another squad of orks (of the same unit type) it automatically regroups a successful leadership roll? So...if 5 sluggas fall back into another 10, pass a leadership, it's a 15 man squad?

Sorry. sounds newbish.

Thanks guys! also. How do orks handle armor?
inuyasha1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2007, 01:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: green iz best! New ork player with questions.

warboss
heavy armor
bionic bonce
bionic arm
cybork body
choppa
powerclaw
Comes from the green dragon
squig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2007, 05:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Welcome!

The 'uge choppa is a waste of points. It's one of those outdated codex entries that is of no real use in 4th edition. If you want a simple boss then just go choppa and slugga, or tool him out how you want just not with a 'uge choppa.

I see no problem with a 3x Slugga squad of that size, should do fine with it. I prefer to have at least one Shoota squad but that's just preference.

For falling back, your example is correct. It doesn't have to be the same unit either, units can mix when Mobbing up. The only thing to remember, if playing with victory points, is that if you mob up then the unit that was falling back and mobbed up is considered destroyed for the sake of victory points. However, the unit they joined is only considered as large as it was before it gained the extra Orks for the sake of victory points.
Old 03 Sep 2007, 17:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Looks good for a starter list, but like Thor said, lose the 'Uge Choppa - it's just not worth it. Consider some special weapons for your Sluggaz to give them an extra bit of punch and flexibility. Big Shootas and Burnas are both relatively easy to convert from bitz in the basic boyz box so don't worry if you don't want to shell out for extra models.

Thor's right about the mob up rule... I'm just going to add that you don't have to fall back right into another mob, you just need to come within 6" of them. As for anti-armour, you have the rokkit launcha and zzap gun, both of which are very reliable tankhunting guns. But the real gems here are tankbusta bommz, power klaws and burnas, all of which can tear any vehicle to shreds in very short order. In a pinch, Big Shootas are good for threatening light vehicles as well.
Old 03 Sep 2007, 19:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to inuyasha1162

Ah thanks guys, So...Basically tooling out the warboss goes a long way?

Would a warboss with the extra armor (i'm bad with names at the moment) power claw and shoota be a viable option?

And the codex is really annoying to use haha. Can't wait for the new one.
inuyasha1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2007, 20:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

People are of two schools with the Warboss typically, one is to spend minimal points on him while others spend a good deal of points on him...a good deal for an Ork anyway. I find the Warboss to be weaker compared to other armies' HQ choices, even tooled out, at least if he's by himself. So I tend to not spend too much on him and stick him in with da boyz, which helps keep him safe. Early on when I started Orks I had fielded my boss solo and quickly realized that's a very bad idea.
Old 04 Sep 2007, 00:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Helderin Send a message via MSN to Helderin

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha1162
Ah thanks guys, So...Basically tooling out the warboss goes a long way?

Would a warboss with the extra armor (i'm bad with names at the moment) power claw and shoota be a viable option?

And the codex is really annoying to use haha. Can't wait for the new one.
Use a Powerclaw and Choppa instead of a PK and Shoota. Use the choppa on charges (with a succesful Waaagh! check your boss will be striking first) and then use the PK for the rest of the assault.
Helderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2007, 22:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I agree with inuyasha1162 you don't want your Warboss going to battle naked, so give him eavy Armour and if you want to be extra safe give him a Bionik Bonce which will give him 3+. Either give him a claw or a choppa either are good at canceling Armour though the Power Claw is better, it's XX points more and the choppa will give anything better than 4+ Armour save a hard time. You can give him another choppa if you want him to be CC specialized. Remember some people don't tool up their Warboss just stick him with a choppa and slugga and send him off that's a bad idea if your Warboss dies your army will suffer and a 6+ save will make him get murdered. I think you've got a good idea of what you're going to do with the army you've devised but give some thought on how your going to deal with dreadnoughts, eh ( If your opponent Gets one which is unlikely, still you'll be able to just attack troops, I'm gonna stop talking now)
NightLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 13:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Rokkits ROkkits and more Rokkits.
They kill marines, necrons don;t get back up, they drop tanks, dreadnoughts fall as well and they cause tau and guard to explode.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2007, 21:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I always give my warboss a retinue of nobz with 4+ saves each, 3+ for my warboss and I always give one a Uge'Choppa so if he survives he'll unleash S6
3 Attacks ( or is it 2?) and they'll save on a 4+ truly deadly.
NightLord is offline   Reply With Quote