Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

all of a sudden....
Old 02 Sep 2007, 03:05   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Khornate
Default all of a sudden....

So off an urge to paint something today, I biked down to my LGS and started browsing through the blisters. I came upon the Dark Eldar section, saw nothing I really needed to add to to my 1500pts army. I checked the Eldar section, but thankfully my better judgment stopped me from buying anything, for I already have 2000pts. I saw the necron section, but decided since I didn't have a whole lot of interest in my necrons at the moment, not to buy anything.

This theme of not buying anything all changed when I came upon the Ork section. I broke down and bought a warboss. And now, 6 hours after I bought it, it's been assembled, primed, and painted to the best of my ability.

Yeah, I've decided to start orks now.

So, with the new orks all coming out in January, (It's nice to have the owner of a gaming store as a friend, you get to know these things) I've decided to start a small force, maybe 500pts, for the moment. I've though about getting the following, for starters.

A Codex
2 Boxes of Boys,
A Wartrukk

I have no idea if this start is even strategically correct, so please correct me if you can. I'm not in the position to spend more than 100$ USD, so please keep that within consideration if I really need to change what I might start with

Thanks, Dark Reaper K
Old 02 Sep 2007, 09:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Commander Nearsight
Default Re: all of a sudden....

Welcome to the Orks, Dark Reaper Khornate!

You have an excellent start with those minis. Most basic (Codex lists, not Kult of Speed for example) Ork armies are largely made up of standard Boyz so you got them right. A Wartrukk is a good choice for either as a personal transport for your Warboss or you can put some Trukk Boyz there when you get the points. And even if you go relatively low with Slugga/Shoota Boyz (like I did), you will have endless opportunities to make your own non-standard Boyz (Skar Boyz, 'ard Boyz, heck even Storm Boyz if you have some converting spirit) units out of the standard Boyz minis, they're very versatile.

Great site for all DE stuff.
Commander Nearsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2007, 14:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

WELCOME TO THE GREENSKINS

heh...place i go to wont even sell dark eldar

great starting choices, suggest for the 500 putting the warboss in the truck(red paint and rigger and hull weapon) with heavy armor, bionic bonce, bionic arm, cybork body, choppa and a powerclaw (good combination).

2 squads of ork boyz, only sluggas(the only good ork troop choice), put a nob in there and upgrade squads with whatever you want, bosspoles, bigshootas, rokkits, powerclaws on the nobs. Its your choice

thats the fun versatility of orks. and you may find that your squads are just a walking shield for your nobz, you can use this to your advantage
Comes from the green dragon
squig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2007, 15:31   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I'm going back to the store again today, to play with my fully painted Dark Eldar. I'm going to check and see what ork models they have, and depending on that I might not get the trukk, but another box of boys first, then the trukk. I'm inspired to convert a huge squad of something. I have to idea what to convert them into, probably storm boyz, but I do want to do something like that.

I was thinking about a theoretical army list, or distribution of Boyz. Maybe something like this?

HQ:
Warboss
-Retuine? A squad to run along with him? 6 Boyz, or 6 converted into Nobs, Just need the larger bases.
All of these Guys in a Trukk.

Troops:
13 Boyz, Nob (Converted)
-3 Big Shootas

13 Boyz, Nob (Converted)
-3 Big Shootas

Yeah, Something like that.

Hopefully this will all come to about 500pts. I'll fill it out with blister models, maybe a Big Mec or something, they have one at my LGS too.
Old 02 Sep 2007, 21:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

I'm glad to see a new Ork player. ;D Your list sounds decent, but it lacks the number that a footsloggin' Ork list truly needs to make it across the field and into melee combat. At only 13 boyz per mob, you'll really have to watch you casualties very closely. One of the biggest strengths of the footsloggin' Ork army is the Mob Rule.

As for your theoretical army list, I think you spend way to many points on your HQ and not enough on the boyz, who should be the meat and potatoes of your army. One lucky lascannon shot (coupled with some poor rolls) could kill 2/5ths of your army instantly.

At such a low point level, I'd nix the trukk and the retuine and let the Boss linger in the back or join a mob if he really wants to get in on the action.

I do like to see that you're using Big Shoota's, however. I do love those little guys.

Hope I was helpful,

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2007, 22:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i dont really understand the mob up rule...still cant figure it out
Old 02 Sep 2007, 23:05   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Okay, I thought going with a trukk this early was kind of preemptive. I figure just getting 3 boxes of Boyz would start it off better, so I can also convert some into another unit or whatnot.

@ Squig
How does that relate to the topic?
Old 03 Sep 2007, 01:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ducky mentioned it a sec ago
Old 07 Sep 2007, 20:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I never trusted Wartrukks a nicely targeted rocket and your units are GONE
NightLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2007, 20:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Which is why timing is key with trukks. Given I've only had an ork army for a few weeks but I quite like my trukks. The first game I was too impatient with them and tried to get the trukk boyz into combat as soon as possible, and yeah, they got tooled. Eventually I've come to learn just how incredibly fragile those things are, and how important cover is. But that bail out rule really helps. And as with any troop transport there are certain risks. Now I couldn't go without my trukks. Personal opinion of course.