Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Looking for a little help
Old 23 Aug 2007, 17:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Looking for a little help

Alright so I just got an Ork army and I'm looking for some tips or tactics that I could use. The models in my army so far are: 1 Warboss. 20 Shoota Boyz, 47 Slugga Boyz, 10 Storm Boyz, and 3 Trukks. Given my somewhat limited variety of units I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a force organization chart, in other words; how would you arrange these boyz?

Also, my primary opponents play Dark Angels, and Khorne. The Dark Angels player is fairly infantry heavy with Ezekiel and a few whirlwinds. The Khorne player as you all may have guessed loves his cc, and with that he almost always has a stacked prince (not sure on the wargear and stuff, but it sure kills a lot). So what would be the best way to deal with these armies with the units I have at hand?
Old 23 Aug 2007, 18:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Looking for a little help

Hmm...you could go a few ways, going to depend on your style and who you're up against. You have enough Sluggas to fill up 2 Trukks and leave you enough for a solid foot unit. You have a good amount of Shootas for cover fire. The Stormboyz, though small in size, make a good counter unit and objective grabber. The only real problem I see is that you have no cover, no Grots, no Meks for a KFF, no Kans or Dreads. That's going to be your biggest hurdle.

If it were me I'd load up 2 Trukks with Sluggas, with the Boss riding in one of them. That leaves you with 28 Sluggas for a foot slogging unit, backed by your 20 Shootas. The Stormboyz I'd hold back behind the main force to gauge the best place to use them, be it a counter charge or cleaning up a unit. Sweep your Trukks to a flank and make good use of cover so they can deliver their cargo.

Another option would be to just field them as foot sloggers, so no Trukks. Create two units of Sluggas, one as the meat shield and the other as the primary force. I'd put 17 in the meat shield unit and the rest, the 30, in the main force. Back that with Shootas then Stormboyz and charge ahead.

The disadvantage to the Trukks is that they are flimsy and it can get blown to hell quickly and easily, so cover is a must, even if you have to move less then 24" to make use of it. Of course the upside is that if things go well you can drop 20 Sluggas with a Boss onto their flank.

The foot sloggers disadvantage is it's going to be probably turn 4 or 5 before you see assault since it's slow going.
Old 23 Aug 2007, 18:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sounds like good advice. And at the moment I'm a little strapped for cash so I cant afford much, if there was one unit in particular that you think would even out my army, what do you think that would be? I'm very open to suggestion.
Old 23 Aug 2007, 18:39   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel_
Alright so I just got an Ork army and I'm looking for some tips or tactics that I could use. The models in my army so far are: 1 Warboss. 20 Shoota Boyz, 47 Slugga Boyz, 10 Storm Boyz, and 3 Trukks. Given my somewhat limited variety of units I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a force organization chart, in other words; how would you arrange these boyz?

Also, my primary opponents play Dark Angels, and Khorne. The Dark Angels player is fairly infantry heavy with Ezekiel and a few whirlwinds. The Khorne player as you all may have guessed loves his cc, and with that he almost always has a stacked prince (not sure on the wargear and stuff, but it sure kills a lot). So what would be the best way to deal with these armies with the units I have at hand?
Welcome to da ardest army in da ooniverse!

What i'd be tempted to do with your army is take 9 of the slugga boyz and the warboss andstick em in a trukk - use some terrain and go diving into the enemy on your first chance!! Secondly i'd split the 38 remaining slugga boyz into two mobs of 19 and keep the shoota boyz as they are. Make a line on one flank and put the shoota boyz out front to take a few hits for the slugga boyz behind. The decimated squad will provide to be a bonus for the slugga mob behind and when it charges the second mob behind will add pressure to an already bad situation. A situation that will get worse
Quote:
Sounds like good advice. And at the moment I'm a little strapped for cash so I cant afford much, if there was one unit in particular that you think would even out my army, what do you think that would be? I'm very open to suggestion.
before it can potentially get better as your storm boyz will be thumping down the same flank hiding behind cover, and the warboss and his mob will annihalate anything thats just too hard.

After that it becomes a situation of just simply mopping up the other half of the army - which hould be fairly simple as your opponent would have already done their best to halt your attack and wasted their best counter assault units - or be nice and close rendering their heavy weapons next to useless.

Have fun and don't be afraid to ask us questions!

Quote:
My suggestion - a nice big fat unit of grots, slaver with rokkit launcha and a squig hound or two. Comes to around 115 points or so, making it dead cheap unit. And they are effective too - the grots can provide cover for your advancing army which is much needed,and when they get to the lines can hold up a nice big chunky thing that the rest of your army mayfind difficult, or inconvenient to tackle.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2007, 18:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well I very much look forward to joining the Greenskin horde. I personally like the huge mobs of orks, so when I first bought my stuff I went for as many boyz as I could afford, grots would definately fit the feel of the army I want. Its a nice feeling to have an army that can pick a fight with anyone for no reason.
Old 23 Aug 2007, 19:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DakkaDakkaDude

My opinions are as follows.

I'd definately get some grots, at least thirty. After that, I'd get some burnas, some rokkits, some big shootas...(you can convert big shootas EASILY, rokkits are a bit harder but not too much)

I'd say a Battlewagon is a must. Maybe some zzappa guns (I love these bad boys!)

I like Kommandoz personally, but many people do not. They have new models, which are badass, so go ahead and get 'em...

You may want a Big Mek. Nothing quite like a big mek and 5 mek boys, all with Rokkits to tank hunt... enemy doesn't ever expect it, and if they waste their fire on it, you're good. They also could make an excellent shooty squad, with 6 big shootas!
DakkaDakkaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2007, 19:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd also suggest Grots for your next addition. If you want the cheapest method then buy a box of fantasy Goblins and convert them. Think a box has 20, which is a good start on a Grot unit, then just convert one of your Sluggas to a Slaver and you're done.
Old 23 Aug 2007, 21:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

It seems that grots are definitly the unit of choice and after reading the codex a few times its obvious why.
Old 23 Aug 2007, 23:04   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
I'd also suggest Grots for your next addition. If you want the cheapest method then buy a box of fantasy Goblins and convert them. Think a box has 20, which is a good start on a Grot unit, then just convert one of your Sluggas to a Slaver and you're done.
Or buy a unit of gnobblars - more models for starters - and the poses look better. I'll post picks up once Im finished with my conversions.

Quote:
It seems that grots are definitly the unit of choice and after reading the codex a few times its obvious why.
Remember - the strength of a unit isn't always so obvious.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2007, 02:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

If your not a big fan of grots or have no cash just take one of your slugga or shoota boyz and some house hold junk...screws, wire, a spare marine pack from your buddies and make a mek boy with a KFF.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote