Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I want to start Speed Freeks.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 19:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default I want to start Speed Freeks.

Hello.

I recently became extremely interested in Speed Freeks, and I've decided to start collecting them. I don't care if they lose, it's going to be fun watching them hurtle across the battlefield and scare my friend's eldar.

("Help, they're getting nearer!"
"Rubbish, they're miles away!"
"ZOOOOOM! HACK STAB BANG *lots of Big Shoota noises"
"Mabye not so far away as we expected...")

So, any tips on what to start out with? I'm on a budget of about 20-30 euros and I want my army to be vehicle-based rather than infantry-based.

Thanks for the help.

-Tesla03
Frosty05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2007, 08:29   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: I want to start Speed Freeks.

Welcome, my Orky friend, to one of the better Ork list variants! When you say vehicles and not infantry, do you mean you'd rather have the likes of warbuggies/trakks/bikes/gunwagons/guntrukks and so forth rather than units mounted in wartrukks/battlewagons?

If so it would be a tricky list to do. But let's assume anything in the C:A Speed Freaks potential goodies. Taking into account your budget, I'd say...

Warbuggie/Wartrakk

Boyz-in-a-trukk

Warboss

I don't have C:A on hand at the moment, but this should set you up with the bare necessities for most standard battles. And it shouldn't cost that much. Of course, if you want to add extra stuff (such as a tooled up head honcho or some eavy weapons for da boyz) you'll have to dish out a little more of the green stuff. No, not the putty.

Remember though, wheelz on their own aren't really going to cut it. It's all about boyz in the wheelz.

Yad
Old 17 Aug 2007, 10:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm aiming for it to be Warbuggy/Wartrak based, maximum 2 squads of Boyz.

Thanks for the help.
Old 17 Aug 2007, 12:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That's not a bad idea, actually... In my experience, Buggy/Trak based Speed Freeks tend to have more success than 'skateboard patrols' (boyz in Trukks). If you're just starting out, I'd recommend a Big Mek as your HQ - he's better in lower-point games IMO. Take 2 squads of 3 Wartrakkz each and a Looted Vehicle of some kind (I would suggest a Russ) and that should just about give you a 500-point army list to start off with. Don't forget to get a Trukk as well since everything in a KoS army needs a transport so your Big Mek will need one before your list can be considered legal!

Oh, and keep in mind that as far as GW boxed sets go, Trakkz only come with Big Shootas or Skorchaz and Buggies only come with Mega Blastaz so you'll need to convert them if you want them to carry rokkits. Consider scratch-building your vehicles if you want to save some $$$.

Happy Waaagh!ing.
Old 17 Aug 2007, 13:50   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well if its fun you want, then its fun you'll get.

No other army allows you the joy of doing a fly over of the battlefield and bombing your opponents squads (even those in reserve). And if your very lucky you get to drop bomz on your own guys for not being fast enough.

And theres always the pure excitement of melting large holes in rocks because someone had to place the only Cross eyed grot from the shroom field on the Zzap gun.

An why is it that you always seem to have the stupidest git of a grot on the controls of a looted vehicle push the wrong button when your about to send your opponents command squad back to the emperor with a Earthshaker shell.

And who doesn't love a Mek in a Deth Copta taking out a Land Raider with a Super Stik Bomb and blowing himself up as well. (Ahhh Good Times)

Best of all, 10 Slugga boyz doing a massacre of a 5 man squad of Termies, Ahhh so many dice, so few 4+ saves made. (even if we do lose the special reduction of their armor to 4+ for an extra attack, it will be worth it IMO cause we will just be that much deadlier against all the other armies that don't use 3+ or better armor)

All in all the Freeks and their antics will be talked about much longer than who won the game. Not to mention special scenarios that are built for fast armies like SF's.

I have other armies, but I love my hopped up on Java Speed Freeks. They Rock!

-DAM
DAM66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2007, 13:27   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I also am pretty sure I want to start a speed freak army (And 40k for that matter.)

Would the battleforce be a good deal? It looks like it was made for a speed freaks army....

After that and a codex... I take it a mekboss(?) would be a good general?
Speed Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2007, 13:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Honcho
I also am pretty sure I want to start a speed freak army (And 40k for that matter.)

Would the battleforce be a good deal? It looks like it was made for a speed freaks army....

After that and a codex... I take it a mekboss(?) would be a good general?
The Battleforce is perfect for Speed Freeks. Get it, use it, enjoy it. Personally I'll never understand why they put all the Fast Attack options into it but not a single Heavy Support or Elites choice. (Well, okay, I suppose it's the metal minis issue but still.) I'd put off getting the codex though - the new 4th Edition Orks codex is coming out early next year so you might want to wait till then before getting it.

As for the HQ choice, the Big Mek is an excellent choice for low-point games. Even in larger games you'll still want to take him for the sheer versatility. In games of 1500+ points though, I'd strongly recommend a Warboss just for the sheer brutality. He's a far superior fighter to the Mek and can even be mounted on a bike, if you're into that sort of thing...
Old 18 Aug 2007, 13:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've got the codex already, so that's not a problem. If it comes with the Battleforce, then yay! a shiny new codex.

I'll have a ponder over getting the battleforce.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 17:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Pit (Formerly Tesla03)
Hello.

I recently became extremely interested in Speed Freeks, and I've decided to start collecting them. I don't care if they lose, it's going to be fun watching them hurtle across the battlefield and scare my friend's eldar.

("Help, they're getting nearer!"
"Rubbish, they're miles away!"
"ZOOOOOM! HACK STAB BANG *lots of Big Shoota noises"
"Mabye not so far away as we expected...")

So, any tips on what to start out with? I'm on a budget of about 20-30 euros and I want my army to be vehicle-based rather than infantry-based.

Thanks for the help.

-Tesla03
Save up more money, get 3 squads of three buggies/Trakks, get a Trukk and a warboss, maybe a few nobs, and a deth Kopta.
Dont turn to footsloggers, ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Tomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2007, 03:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Save up more money, get 3 squads of three buggies/Trakks, get a Trukk and a warboss, maybe a few nobs, and a deth Kopta.
Dont turn to footsloggers, ever!
I'd actually stay away from the Deth Kopta models - they're a nightmare to put together and tend to fall apart at all the wrong times. Scratchbuild or convert your own if you want one, they're essentially just little boxes with rotor blades anyway. Or, since they count as jetbikes, why not loot some Eldar bikes and seriously piss off your local panzee player?