Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battlewagons: what is your Favorite unit to put in one?
Old 08 Aug 2007, 01:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Battlewagons: what is your Favorite unit to put in one?

So I was thinking that if I did build a battlewagon what unit(s) would i have riding in one: Boarboyz are at the top of my list since they can charge 12" or I would use tankbustas to take advantage of the +1 strength and put all of the bustas without rokkits on a bolt on shoota
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2007, 04:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Battlewagons: what is your Favorite unit to put in one?

if you had fast attack room and you just need filler for the truck drop truck boyz in it they wont die when it blows and not only will the truck be a good distraction, it'll live once it goes =P
Comes from the green dragon
squig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2007, 04:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I plan on using mine with a Warboss + 19 Ard Boyz. That'd be a pretty killer unit.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2007, 05:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DakkaDakkaDude

Personally, I like to take either Skarboyz or standard Slugga Boyz. I never take a leader in it because it's just too risky that he could take a wound if it blows up...

However, 'Ard Boyz might be a good option since, if it does blow up, They have a slimmer chance of dying.... (50% of wound, 50% of failing save after that)
DakkaDakkaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2007, 10:54   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I would first equip a zzap gun, 2 tl rokkit launchas, followed by 5 bolt on big shootas, and stick 10 gretchi and a slaver (with a big shoota) inside. Most shots for the lowest cost ever . An option suggested by someone here, can't remember who though. I would will it with Skar boyz or ard boyz. Or maybe flash gits for an even more shooty vehicle (Zzap, 2 rokkits, 10 big shootas, more Dakka, mmmm....).

Yad
Old 08 Aug 2007, 11:16   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
I plan on using mine with a Warboss + 19 Ard Boyz. That'd be a pretty killer unit.
Yeah except then you've got all your eggs in one basket. If (and probably when) it gets wreaked your boss and ard unit will spend a turn entangled. Better to load it up with something hard but not SO scary it draws all the fire. 10 skar or ard boyz. The battlewagon isn't the best troop delivery system either, as if you want to fire it's guns it'll be moving a max of 7" per turn and at that speed you may as well be walking. I'd rather take trukks for warboss etc. The more threatening targets your opponent is presented with the better. That way something gets through!

I now have two battlewagons. One with Zzap gun & 2 TL rokkits, which i use like a tank. I've mainly just had a mek/big mek in it with a KFF. It scares people and can ruin most enemy armour/hard stuff. The other has 3 TL big shootas, 5 bolt on bog shootas & a Krusha. I either mount 10 ard boyz (with more big shootas) for an assault option. Or 10 grots for a cheaper, rolling battery of shots. You get a LOT of dice with the second option. Either way they both get Red paint job, armour plates, force field and riggers.
badusernametag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2007, 12:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadrinas
I would first equip a zzap gun, 2 tl rokkit launchas, followed by 5 bolt on big shootas, and stick 10 gretchi and a slaver (with a big shoota) inside.
BoBS's require Orks to fire them. However, a unit of 10 Shoota boyz with 5 BoBS's, 3 Big Shootas, and 1 Nob with Big Shoota would be insane Dakka. If I remember right, I think you can get 12-13 Big Shootas on a Battlewagon if done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badusernametag
Yeah except then you've got all your eggs in one basket. If (and probably when) it gets wreaked your boss and ard unit will spend a turn entangled. Better to load it up with something hard but not SO scary it draws all the fire. 10 skar or ard boyz. The battlewagon isn't the best troop delivery system either, as if you want to fire it's guns it'll be moving a max of 7" per turn and at that speed you may as well be walking. I'd rather take trukks for warboss etc. The more threatening targets your opponent is presented with the better. That way something gets through!
Perhaps, but I don't intend to leave them in it for more than a turn. The Battlewagon will be a delivery system for a rapid depoy or re-deploy of the Warboss & 'Ard Boyz. Basically, I mount up, move the wagon, wait a turn, move the wagon, disembark, assault. It's a risk, but a calculated risk.
Old 08 Aug 2007, 12:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

If NO boyz are using a bolt on shoota can they fire independly at a target or do they have to shoot at the same thing as the wagon?
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2007, 13:45   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:

Perhaps, but I don't intend to leave them in it for more than a turn. The Battlewagon will be a delivery system for a rapid deploy or redeploy of the Warboss & 'Ard Boyz. Basically, I mount up, move the wagon, wait a turn, move the wagon, disembark, assault. It's a risk, but a calculated risk.
I do see your point but in this role you are ignoring what the wagon can do. In terms of fast deployment of an assault unit a wartrukk can be far more effective as it can move up to 25" the turn before your first assault to position itself. If you take a nobz bodyguard with the warboss instead of the ard boyz you can add a mek with KFF which makes the wartrukk almost as durable as the battlewagon. You don't get as many boyz admittedly but as they're nobz it really doesn't matter. Also you can mix in more PK's, rokkits etc as you wish.

If you look at it points wise, quite basic with not many upgrades. Assuming that your warboss costs around 110 and would be the same in both options, it looks like this:

1)
19 ard boyz 228

battlewagon 165
red paint job, riggers, armour plates, force field

Total: 393 (503 with warboss)

2)
5 nobz 155
Eavy armour, choppa, slugga

Mekboy 30
Kustom force field

Wartrukk 45
grot riggers, armour plates, red paint job, rokkit launcha

Total: 230 (340 with warboss)

Now i don't know how many points you're playing to be able to spend 500+ points on a single unit but it's certainly more than a small risk in my opinion. Also with the spare points you save with the second option you can actually buy a battle wagon to go out on it's own. Two threatening targets are always better than one (think i'm starting to repeat myself). The second option though potentially less survivable than the first is certainly more maneuverable and does the job you wanted it to admirably.

badusernametag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2007, 16:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena031
If NO boyz are using a bolt on shoota can they fire independly at a target or do they have to shoot at the same thing as the wagon?
Yes, they are not part of the vehicle unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badusernametag
Quote:

Perhaps, but I don't intend to leave them in it for more than a turn. The Battlewagon will be a delivery system for a rapid deploy or redeploy of the Warboss & 'Ard Boyz. Basically, I mount up, move the wagon, wait a turn, move the wagon, disembark, assault. It's a risk, but a calculated risk.
I do see your point but in this role you are ignoring what the wagon can do. In terms of fast deployment of an assault unit a wartrukk can be far more effective as it can move up to 25" the turn before your first assault to position itself. If you take a nobz bodyguard with the warboss instead of the ard boyz you can add a mek with KFF which makes the wartrukk almost as durable as the battlewagon. You don't get as many boyz admittedly but as they're nobz it really doesn't matter. Also you can mix in more PK's, rokkits etc as you wish.
I agree with you. But the armor of the Battlewagon means that very few shots are going to get through. We just saw that with the community game when the Eldar Falcon shots splanged off the front of the Battlewagon. Armor plates and grot riggers further augment the durability of the vehicle. Plus, my Battlewagon can toss out tons of damage on the move.

So you move forward 13", disembark 2" to the front and charge. That's a 21" effective range. Not too shabby.

My basic plan is to embark 6-8", move 7". Then fire. Wait a turn. Move 13", disembark, and charge. That means moving up to 36" in two turns. Now the enemy has 20 armored orks with 80+ attacks on the charge right up their nose.

Could I do the same with Trukks? Sorta. I could grab 30 Trukkboyz in 3 Trukks plus a Warboss, Nobs & Trukk - maybe a Mekboy for good measure. They could possibly get a 21" charge with a trukk...but with much less efficiency than a Battlewagon. If I do move 25" into the enemy with my Trukk...then I risk dying to any small arms fire - or worse, taking a Frag Missile or other blast template to the chin.

The trukks are admittedly faster and cheaper. But you don't get any more charging distance and you certainly don't get the punch of dropping a mob of boyz right into the enemy's ranks.