Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Expanding my Ork Army
Old 02 Aug 2007, 16:55   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Expanding my Ork Army

I just finally locked up my Eldar and stopped collecting them for now.
So I'm back to expand my orks.

I have so far.

1 Warboss
16 sluggers with 1 nobz(Unit)
20 shooters (1 holds a big shooter,Unit)
3 Warbike's (one deducted from his big shooters,Unit)
Kommados (Unit)

I'm going to buy 1 nob and give him a chopper and a big shooter to lead the shooter boyz.
Thinking on buying a Wartrukk.

Now i need to expand this up to battle a 1000 point space marine army
and a tau army at 1000.
The tau army has a hammerhead tank thing.

So whats the best way to beat these?/Expand.
Sluggers with choppers with limit there sv which helps against space marines,but the tau are annoying me with there Guns.

SwordsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2007, 21:39   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Expanding my Ork Army

Well, another box of Boyz would be nice, so that you could build another Slugga mob...Also, 3 blisters of 'Eavy Weapons (though many people prefere to convert these guys...I do like the models and buy them).

Some grotz would be nice to...I'd say you should wait until the new plastic ones come out (that is, assuming there'll be plastic grotz), but what I did was buy some of those old grotz from a friend (30 grotz + slaver + squighound for $10) and I'll be using these until the new ones come out, if they aren't released I'll probably buy the metal ones (2 blisters a month or so)...

A looted tank at 1000pts is also nice, especially against those SM...A basilisk I'd say..
Flyoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2007, 22:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

The meat of the ork lies in the fact that your troops can carry your heavy support option. This is further emphized by the fact that your heavies, Big Shootas, Rokkits and Burnaz, are all Assualt weapons. Essentially each ork unit can carry 3-4 weapon upgrades (except Kommandos and grots). THese upgraded weapons are hidden nicely in huge squads of boyz. Take advantage of this and start running Rokkitz since when they hit you can pretty much say good by to any footslogger out there and have the ability to take down any vehicle in the game.
I would buy 1 box of Fantasy Orks since they come with 19, same price as 40k orks with 3 extra, and use them to beef up your sluggas, shootas and weapon upgraded boyz. There are excellent ways to do the weapon conversions and you have the extra ork bitz from your 40k ones to convert the fantasy ones.
A slugga boy can easly slip roles into a kommando, trukk boy, tankbusta, stik bommas, & burna boyz. Where a slugga can be a loota boy, or a flashgit. Keep this in mind with respect to how you model and paint up your orks.
Before saying anything else though I would like to know if you play as a freebooter or if you are looking at a specific clan?
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2007, 10:31   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yeah i like to have a bit of every thing in my Ork army.

Can never have to many slugger boyz,and with my shooter boyz left overs i can give them a gun each and still make 3 big shooters etc.

So one tip for me or anyone.
When ever i/you buy 2 sets of troops i/you could get shooters and fantasy orks.
with left overs from shooters the fantasy orks will be fine.

So then in every unit i should use 3 heavy weapons.
Bit worried about the hammerhead its quite strong and i don't know how i should kill it.
Old 03 Aug 2007, 14:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Tankbustas are your best bet for the Hammerhead. A small unit of 5 is pretty cheap and you can load 4 rokkits into it (3 boyz & Nob w/rokkit), with the +1 armor pen for being a Tankbusta.
Old 03 Aug 2007, 15:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

as Thor said, tankbustas are your best bet. They can be really brutal, and they will easily make their points back. The hard part is getting 'em close enough. If your tau player wants that hammerhead, hes definately gonna go for those boyz. Now, in my group, the way I have gotten past this is to put some fire magnets in your list. Try putting some kans, maybe a trukk or two, and speed them up, throwing all their guns at it, and the hammerhead will probably end up doing the same, and you can get those boyz up and do a load of damage. Now, its really risky, but it ends up working for me. If you don't wanna spend the extra points, try putting one of your big mobs on the same side, and in front of them, this will get your enemy nervous, and point their firepower at the big squad, instead of your 5 little boyz. This may seem a little drastic, but those hammerheads......cheers

-D'artagnan

Dartagnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2007, 19:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I also find that ignoring it works well with a footsloggin army. No real viable targets for it to shoot at.
Old 03 Aug 2007, 22:07   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

2 question's

1.if a Ork has 2 choppers can he attack with both of these weapons in close combat.

2.Can i use these as mega armored Orks replacing there weapons.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...015&orignav=13

Old 03 Aug 2007, 22:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

For me they are my nobs since they are bigger than a 40k ork
Old 04 Aug 2007, 02:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordsG
2 question's

1.if a Ork has 2 choppers can he attack with both of these weapons in close combat.

2.Can i use these as mega armored Orks replacing there weapons.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...015&orignav=13

1. You can't take two of the same item on a single model for wargear, with the exception of grots & squigs.

2. You could, but like Hyena said, they make better Nobs. Most people use them for Nobs or 'Ard Boyz, but I guess with some more conversion work you could turn them into Mega Armored Nobs.