Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The great fun of being an Ork player
Old 29 Jul 2007, 10:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Commander Nearsight
Default The great fun of being an Ork player

In my small town with a very small number of active WH40k players (3, including me), I have a friend who plays Space Marines and I've played some games with him, a couple with Tau and one with Orks.

I've noticed a peculiar thing in all of the games we have. Space Marines must be the the most boring army to play. In in the smallest of games my friend has a fully tooled unit of Scouts and a Tactical Squad riding with a Captain or something in a Rhino. Space Marine weaponry and armour are far superiour to say, Orks. My friend doesn't have to be very afraid when I unleash slugga shots on him, that pesky power armour easily saving most of his precious Marine Boyz even if my humble BS of 2 can hit something. But when he shoots at me with a BS 4 rocket launchers that kill an average of 4-5 Boyz a turn, I get a bit worried. It seems all he does is Rhino-rushed at me, starts shooting a good distance and my low armoured Boyz try to clobber his tin can men in close combat. In my yesterday's game, my Warboss' Slugga Boyz was reduced to half-strenght after being hit by various projectiles including missile launcher and some bolt weapons. My charge hit home, and I won the fight (even though I forgot the heavy close combat weapon rule), the lovely 2 Attack Boyz globbering his Marine Boyz in 2 turns.

My point is that when you play Orks against Space Marines, you're the one having more fun. Ork player needs to get a bit worried when his Boyz are shot at, he can't count on his 6+ save Boyz saving many hits. Space Marine player just shoots and deals horrendous damage a turn whilst rarely falling to the Orks' regular shooting (I think I managed to nail 2 or 3 Marine Boyz on one turn, with big shootas) due to vastly superiour armour. In small games it's hard to get any low AP weapons, especially with the Orks. You just need to get the grips with them. Luckily my friend's army is always undernumbered my army, if he had a less costy character and maybe not as fully tooled Scout unit, the battle might have gone different way.

To sum it up, Orks are one of the best armies in the game to play.

Great site for all DE stuff.
Commander Nearsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 13:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: The great fun of being an Ork player

The missles should never be hitting 4-5 orks per turn in the first place. Seriously consider spreading your guys out a bit more. You don't have to have them in base-to-base contact, unit coherency is 2". There's no reason to be taking that much damage.

The 6+ save is generally irrelevant (REAL men have a 6+ save), use cover instead. In small games, a tiny unit of bikes or grots will provide all of your orks with the 5+ cover saves they need without impeding their movement whatsoever. A Kustom Force Field works well too, but unfortunately it's difficult to get in smaller games.

Sorry if it seems I'm preaching to you when you really haven't asked for anything, you only wanted to post an observation not a question. I just believed that these should've been pointed out.
Ninja Ork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 13:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Sorry if it seems I'm preaching to you when you really haven't asked for anything, you only wanted to post an observation not a question. I just believed that these should've been pointed out.
It seems like it. Nice points though. I know I made a some of mistakes in that game, but hey, I won. ;D

Old 29 Jul 2007, 13:50   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, Orks are the epitome of what Sun Bin says

"Sacrifices a small portion of what you have so that you may win the war."

Seriously Orks are exactly like those words. several boyz will go down, but you just need to continously march under the firepower and then level the field with the orks. Use the horde to your advantage.

You can make a shooty ork and also surprised your opponents. You may have less accuracy, but the number of dices that you can roll will unnerved most opponents. I have seen the most experienced players tremble when they see 100+ basic shots (shoota, pistol) shots in one round, with at least 15+ rokkits with ammo grot flying in the air under the cover of a looted Basilisk, a team of lootas with heavy weapons (I think it is lascannon) and protected by 30+grots and cover.

This exact list ends up being #2 in the tournament this year at my country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 14:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Use the horde to your advantage.
And cover.

Old 29 Jul 2007, 17:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ive had an extremely hard time trying to figure out the point costs for looted weapon teams
Comes from the green dragon
squig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 17:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

If you want to play shooty ork i'd recomend snakebite due to their acsess to huntas (shoota boyz with BS3).

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Rogue_FireWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 19:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yeah, orks can shoot in massive numbers. But if you want masses of dices in the shooting phase, guards. Proppa Orks's about Chopping, Kicking, Stomping and 'Ead Buttin 'em panzees and oomies and irritateng grotz ta moosh!
Old 29 Jul 2007, 19:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
yeah, orks can shoot in massive numbers. But if you want masses of dices in the shooting phase, guards. Proppa Orks's about Chopping, Kicking, Stomping and 'Ead Buttin 'em panzees and oomies and irritateng grotz ta moosh!
Yes but I think it's Orky to have that admittedly crappy shooting while you close in with the enemy, letting sluggas sing while you charge those pesky pink skins.

Old 29 Jul 2007, 20:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

wait are there actually rules for clans???

ive decided top play goff and didnt think there were actual rules to them
Comes from the green dragon
squig is offline   Reply With Quote