Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

looking to expand to play ork army
Old 28 Jul 2007, 14:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default looking to expand to play ork army

Hello, i've already got a fairly good tau army that will just need a couple of tweaks and then its finished. i'm looking for another race to play. i mostly play against Space Marines and Imperial gaurd so their off the list, nd my brother is thinking of expanding into Tyranids so thats another race off. i was looking at other races and some of the ork stuff really appealed to me.

i like the ork general infantry an hero's, but i have a problem with thier wartrucks and stuff, they just look stupid to me (no offense). but i'm keen to expand. just a small force to begin with not really costing me more than £50 ($100) nd i don't want to buy the army box set thingy cos its full of wartrucks etc. i was wondering what experienced ork players would buy first time round. so what kinda stuff do you recommend i buy for a starting player?
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 14:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: looking to expand to play ork army

Well as a fellow Tau player in the process of turning ork, I can say the race is the complete opposite of what you are used to, and they are great. I agree that the Ork vehicles are horrible, but new ones should be coming out. Or you can do like me, and scratch build all your vehicles from plasticard. That way you can make them look any way you want.

As for what to buy, really depends on what type of army you want to play, but all you'll ever need for troops is boxes and boxes of boyz. From one box you can customize and convert every single type of boy possible, from Warbosses, Ard Boyz, to Meks, and Burna Boyz. All you ever need is the basic troop, some glue, cutters, bitz, and greenstuff.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 16:49   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
From one box you can customize and convert every single type of boy possible, from Warbosses, Ard Boyz, to Meks, and Burna Boyz. All you ever need is the basic troop, some glue, cutters, bitz, and greenstuff.
Thats the best thing about orks, plus there in fantasy aswell so you can use parts from them as well.

One good rule all units should have a nob boy with them.
SwordsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 16:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hey, Majonga. Orks are due for a new codex and a huge number of model releases in early January. All the vehicles are being redone. Well you'll need your HQ and 2 troops to start. Luckily those aren't being changed with the new releases, so you won't purchase them and a month later have new Boyz and Warbosses being released. The boyz are getting repacked and will likely have some new bitz but not to worry you'll need more than 2 boxes of boyz. So you can get the new boyz boxes when you expand your force. I'd start there and keep an eye on the rumors so you can know what direction the new Ork codex will be going and build your army accordingly.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 17:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

hmm, january eh? i might just continue with my tau army till then, cos by then i'll have finished off my tau, plus scraped together enuff money to fund this new venture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
From one box you can customize and convert every single type of boy possible, from Warbosses, Ard Boyz, to Meks, and Burna Boyz. All you ever need is the basic troop, some glue, cutters, bitz, and greenstuff.
cool, on that note, i'm definetly collecting orcs

thnx all
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 19:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

also it would be helpfull to turn one ork per squad into a nob and give him a bosspole, really helpfull
Comes from the green dragon
squig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 20:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would also buy at least one box of fantasy orks per box of 40k orks...same price and comes with 2 extra boyz, a nob and various bitz
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 19:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Not to bust any bubbles on the "cheap nob"-parade but uhm. You MUST use metall nobz, or atleast greenstuffed nobz because Nobz are the big and bads orks. Not just your average orkboy with a fancy weaponpack like them oomies. Biggest is best, and da best gotta be big. Yooz can't be weedy and best! Weedyness's for da grotz. And weez givin grotz a good stomp!
Old 29 Jul 2007, 19:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Commander Nearsight

Quote:
Not to bust any bubbles on the "cheap nob"-parade but uhm. You MUST use metall nobz, or atleast greenstuffed nobz because Nobz are the big and bads orks.
Quote:
As for what to buy, really depends on what type of army you want to play, but all you'll ever need for troops is boxes and boxes of boyz. From one box you can customize and convert every single type of boy possible, from Warbosses, Ard Boyz, to Meks, and Burna Boyz. All you ever need is the basic troop, some glue, cutters, bitz, and greenstuff.
Yes, agreed with WTE here. I'd like to see a convincing, bad @$$ Warboss made from the Boyz sprue elements.

Great site for all DE stuff.
Commander Nearsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 19:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Can be done, but I´d just say its partly based on a boy. With all that plasticard and Greenstuff id call it scratchbuilt