Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ork Army Builder
Old 04 Apr 2007, 19:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Ork Army Builder

Something I've been tossing around is the idea of building a web based Ork Army Builder. I have the means of building it, just have to find that precious thing they call free time. What I am wondering though is does anyone know if there are any sort of copyright laws regarding me doing something like this? Hate to spend the time on it and find that GW won't let me do it.
Old 04 Apr 2007, 19:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Ork Army Builder

I would say GW would have a problem with it since it would provided point cost for units and equipment. However you could still build it for yourself just as long as it never reaches the surface.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 19:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I may end up doing just that, but would hate to spend all the time and effort programming this just for myself :-\
Old 06 Apr 2007, 06:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

I think it sounds helpful. I might make one in Excel just so I can compute point costs easier.

Just gotta watch out for the IP stuff.

Good luck with yours. Maybe when mine's done we can swap and check each others out.

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2007, 06:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Farseer Cold-Beer

I want them to make one for every race!!!

So many times have I spent time when I could be playing making lists.. Oh well, run with it and we'll see how it spins...
Old 07 Apr 2007, 18:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Just wondering, Thor, how your army builder thinger is going. Have you found time for it?

Old 09 Apr 2007, 03:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ducky
Just wondering, Thor, how your army builder thinger is going. Have you found time for it?
Not as of yet. Was gone this weekend, car broke down... *grumbles* I did email GW to ask about legality with doing an online Ork Army Builder and have heard nothing back from them. I'm willing to be I won't hear back from them unless I do put it online and then it will be to tell me to take it off.

I'm trying to lay down the ground work for it, get database structures in place, figure out the routines I'll need, etc. Probably in the next few weeks I may have something to look at.
Old 09 Apr 2007, 06:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've been on sorta an Excel kick in recent weeks and I'm just whipped up a Superspreadsheet showing the ridiculous effectiveness of the Zapp Gun against enemy tanks. That can be checked out here. My Ork listing thing will probably be done in Excel, too. I've started already and have stats and around half of the basic equipment options entered in. I've got a lot of formula work to do in regards to a printable army summary and I'm yet to enter weapon and wargear stats. (I'm not looking forward to that last part...)

At the moment, though, I'm side tracked on another project. The Weapon Shooty Test. You enter your BS and the weapon statlines and Excel rolls a bunch of dice and tells you how many hit, how many wounded (for models toughness 1-10) and then it'll make any saves available. It'll be cool.

Good luck on your project. Keep me updated!

-Grandpa Ducky

Old 13 Apr 2007, 12:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Why not use something like the Forge? Its easy to use, easy interface, already made. Its pretty basic (no restrictions on what you can put where) but it works, and has a pretty nice layout.
good day,

-D'artagnan

Dartagnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 13:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I had downloaded it and joined the Yahoo group but didn't see any data files for Orks. Maybe I missed it.