Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Feral Orks and KoS
Closed Thread
Old 25 Dec 2005, 07:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to akthomas89
Default Feral Orks and KoS

Are Feral Orks a viable army list? Can they be used in tournaments? Same for Kult of Speed.

I've been reading through a lot of Ork stuff and really love the Feral Orks and Kult of Speed Orks. But I love Feral Orks for the Massive Squiggoth! I want to run a Feral Ork army just to play one!

Does anyone else have experience with Feral Orks? How do they compare to other Orks in terms of effectiveness, fun, all that jazz? Particularly Kult of Speed, as that is the other army I am really looking into. the Kult seems really fragile but I love the battlewagons and being able to have up to 6 could give me a lot of fun conversion work to do. KoS also gets the KFF to work with, which Feral Orks lose.

Feral Orks have the least anti-tank weaponry I have ever seen. Even less than the tyranids. How would a Feral Ork list go about dealing with heavy armor like a Land Raider, short of a Massive Squiggoth stomping on it? Just fire a ton of kannons and rokkits and hope for a 6 on a glancing?

If anyone can give me a good comparison of these two armies to each other and normal orks, tactics for Feral and KoS compared to each other and those of normal orks, etc, I would be very grateful. I am completely new to Orks so any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 25 Dec 2005, 13:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Kais
Default Re: Feral Orks and KoS

Im also new to orks, but this might help you with speed freakz stuff

and this with the feral stuff

hope that helps a bit

- Kais

>>Latest Sig<<
Old 25 Dec 2005, 15:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

A Tau Online member that uses the Moniker of Courtesy Grot (CG) uses a Feral Army list to great effect. CG is also a regular poster over at `Da Waaagh' website. He seems pretty happy with Feral Orks. The larger Squiggoths are immense fire Magnets that can offer `relief from Dakka' for the balance of your army. While individual anti-tank arms in a Feral Ork army are `iffy' against armour 14, you can make up for it in NUMBERS. A dozen Rokkit/Kannon shots will probably do something against even a Landraider.

Ferals are also cool because of the weird little things the Nobs can take. Things like Lucky Tattoos add interest and flavour. In addition, a BS of 4 helps out as well. What a concept, actually having an average of HALF your shots hitting!!

Best Regards,
Old 25 Dec 2005, 16:24   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

BS 3 ain't they?

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 25 Dec 2005, 20:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the links, Kais!

Iveatch, when you say to make up for lack of strong weapons with numbers, are you saying whenever given the opportunity, take rokkits and kannons before big shootas? I would definitely do that with Kannons, as they are useful against both infantry and vehicles thanks to multiple firing modes, but as for huntas and such, is it better to always go for rokkits?

I do like the Feral wargear, but I don't know if I like it more than Kult of Speed options or even regular Orks. But yes, they are only BS 3. Which is still stunning by Ork standards.

For some reason Feral Nobz are still BS 2 though...
Old 25 Dec 2005, 20:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthomas89
Thanks for the links, Kais!
any time dude, love ta help

>>Latest Sig<<
Old 27 Dec 2005, 01:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo Joe
BS 3 ain't they?
Doah! Sorry, temporary (at least I hope) Californian Insanity!

I usually split the difference on Big Shootas and Rokkit Launchas and take an almost EQUAL number of both. The Big Shootas are good against infantry and light vehicles. The Rokkits at least gives a player a decent shot at those heavier armour 13 and 14 vehicles.

Best,
Old 27 Dec 2005, 02:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well I think I've decided to go for KoS, as my other topic should've proven evident. Feral Orks just aren't my style (save for the Squiggoth, that bloody awesome squiggoth), and I think I'll have more fun with a KoS (except that they don't have squiggoths). The lack of squiggoths are made up for with the potential to have 6(!) battlewagons. Now, that said, what are everyone's thoughts on the Kult of Speed in general? Any tips or pointers?
Old 27 Dec 2005, 02:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've always tended to run large Footslogger army lists myself.* There is an active debate going on in the Greater Ork gaming community about the cut in the effectiveness in Wartruk based Ork army lists due to the relatively new 4th edition rule about the occupants of a destroyed vehicle being `pinned' for one turn.* This was GW's way of balancing the famous `Rhino Rush'.* It hit the Trukk Boyz as well.

Using bigger vehicles like Battlewagons as cover can help, of course.* From what I can see of your other posts, you are aware of this tactic already.

KoS is still a very effective option however, not one to be dismissed, that's for sure!

Best Regards,

Old 27 Dec 2005, 13:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

With the new terrain guidelines though, I haven't had a problem losing trukks. I played in a tournament recently, and I never had a trukk boy mob pinned.

I lost a tankbusta trukk in one game, and a 'ard boy big-shoota trukk in another, but these guys were staying in, and hanging back to shoot, rather than trying to close and assault.

I realize that terrain is going to be variable from place to place, but I have to think, if you're playing on a table where the guidelines in the book are being followed, it isn't hard to keep your trukks from being shot at until they're already empty.
Closed Thread