Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500pt. Mechanized Orks
Old 02 Aug 2010, 03:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 1500pt. Mechanized Orks

I have decided to begin Orks(!!!) and want to approach this army with planning and orginization (very un-Orky I know :P). With that intention, I want to solidify a general idea of the army list I will run so I know what models to purchase. I need Ork players' help with this since I am as unexperienced with Orks as one can be. My initial army list is as follows:

HQ:
Warboss on bike w/ cybork body, power claw, kombi scorcha, boss pole, and attack squig 160

Big mek w/ Kustom force field (in truck w/ 11 boys) 85

Troop:
7 nobs on bikes w/ cybork bodies, 2 power claws, 4 big choppas, a boss
pole, waagh banner, kombi scorcha, kombi rokit, twin shoota, and pain boy w/ orderly 490

12 slugga boys w/ nob w/ power claw, and boss pole in a truch w/ red
paint, ram, boarding plank, and wrekin ball 172

12 slugga boys w/ nob w/ power claw, and boss pole in a truch w/ red
paint, ram, boarding plank, and wrekin ball 172

11 slugga boys w/ nob w/ power claw, and boss pole in a truch w/ red
paint, ram, boarding plank, and wrekinball 167

10 grots w/ runtherd 40

Fast:
Defkopta w/twin rokit, and buzz saw 70

total 1496

Comments and Criticism is appreciated greatly.
Old 02 Jan 2011, 19:54   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to 420Jesus

The attack squig will slow your warboss on Bike down and should be removed. the ram, boarding plank, and wrekinball are also all very expensive options to fit your troop transports with. I personally only run armour plates
Old 05 Jan 2011, 06:57   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to 420Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420Jesus View Post
The attack squig will slow your warboss on Bike down and should be removed.
Sorry got confused with another rule. please disregard
Old 02 Feb 2012, 23:43   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Deffkoptas are good and fun, but if it were me, I'd rather have bikers. They give more dakka.
But I assume this is for anti-armor and vehicle.
The twin linked rokkits are nice, but I never really saw the koptas as a solid anti-tank solution.
Killa Kans fill this niche as best as orks can. They have BS3, which in an ork army, makes you a prodigy amongst marksmen. They also get rokkit launchas or kustom mega-blastas that just love to tear through armor.
Table is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2012, 13:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

You dont have enough orks for a list of that point size.

I agree koptas arent that reliable as antitank, but they'll do. I use them for moderate to good success, and they are more flexible on the battlefield as they can fly over annoying terrain.

Skip the grots. I have a list that looks somewhat like this one, and you really need to skip the grots. You have trukks, bikers and koptas speeding towards the enemy. Noone are going to take those grots seriously. They're gonna be left behind, seeing only the dust of the numerous engines you have.

Of course, they could work wonders as a sneaky scoring unit, but 5 guardsmen shining on them with their laslights will cause them to run away. Dont bother with all those trukk upgrades unless you have a specific idea on how to use them - they are quite crunchy anyways - trukks that is. Stick with armor plates. Also, I'd go for a cheaper nob squad. The cybork bodies are expensive, and the biker nobs are next to impossible to kill anyways, remember their 3+ cover save when boosting, a 4+ exhaust cloud save, a 4+ armor save, AND they have 2W each. They wont need an extra 5+ save unless they get into close combat. Also note that your nobs are your shock troops, as they have what all other orks have not. Initaitive. They get up to I4 when assaulting, if you dont clutter them up with PK's. You dont need to buy 5++ saves, unless you buy PK's, since the incredible quantity of S5 attacks will rip anything that does not have eldar initiative to shreds in an instant. You even strike at the same time as space marines.

That should free up some points in total that you can use for other useful things like getting some buggies (which are awesome as distractions when you have a lot of trukks) or alternately a huge mob of thinly spread orks that you can use to "mob up" orks that are running away. Alternately, if you want a unit that can stand ground in the rear, lootas are awesome.

I have some 2000+ points list that features variants of 5 trukks of boys, a battlewagon with 20 boys, a looted wagon (with skorcha) full of nobs, some buggies, standard bikers, and deffkoptas. Its a load of some 60 flexible orks hitting very very quickly, with a reliable 20 more arriving a bit later, backed up by vanilla nobs (no PK's - I only have PK's in my trukknobs, my nob mob has only sluggas and choppas to keep things cheap.)

It works wonders. And they can take horrendous losses and still come back for more. Note that with the sheer quantity of (furious charge=S5) attacks a nob squad have, they can still take on monstrous creatures and stand more than a fighting chance.