Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fighting Eldar 2000pts
Old 23 Jun 2010, 13:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Fighting Eldar 2000pts

Hi,

This weekend I will be playing against Eldar, at 2000pts. The person I am playing has a unit from every aspect except Shining spears, so I have no idea what he will bring.

This Saturday just gone he beat, at 1500pts, a horde-ish ork army, by using plenty of guardians and dire avengers, also a farseer with mind war.

All my units are listed here

The list I have created for this is:

[size=13pt]HQ[/size]

Wazdakka – 180
Big Mek w/ KFF & Burna – 105

[size=13pt]Elites[/size]

8 Nobs w/ Painboy, grot, all have ‘eavy armour, cybork bodies, 6 big choppas, 1 power klaw, waaagh banner, bosspole – 350
Trukk w/AP, RPJ, RR – 50
9 Lootas w/ Mek w/ BS – 135

[size=13pt]Troops[/size]

5 Warbikes w/ Nob, BP and PK – 165
6 Warbikes w/ Nob, BP and PK – 190
12 Boyz w/ PK, BP Nob, 1 BS – 117
Trukk w/AP, RPJ, RR – 50

[size=13pt]Fast Attack[/size]

3 Deffkoptas w/ TL rokkits – 135
3 Deff koptas w/ TL Rokkits – 135

[size=13pt]Heavy support[/size]

Looted wagon w/ Boomgun, ‘ard case, big shoota – 120
Looted wagon w/ Boomgun, ‘ard case, big shoota – 120
3 killa kans w/ 2 Rokkits and Grotzooka – 145

1997 points.

Thanks

- Will

I should probably have this in army lists
Old 23 Jun 2010, 19:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Fighting Eldar 2000pts

Could involve possible general anti-Elfdar tactics as well though. Since I play them I'll throw in $0.02.

Shining Spears are best against heavily armored infantry units that don't have power weapons, so chances are you won't be seeing any against Orks (as just about all of your heavily armored units have Power Klaws IIRC).
[hr]

The only time I've ever had trouble with Orks was I played against a 1500pt list structured much the same as yours is now. It wasn't all Nobz though, there were normal Ork Bikers as well. Wazdakka was his MVP. He brought Warbuggies with rokkits though. I think the reason I had a hard time was because he had a much greater threat range than I was used to planning for (so if you don't do speed freaks a lot that could be a factor in your favor) so he actually caught one of my Serpents in CC :P.

Tactics wise he set up in the middle~ish and turbo boosted down a flank. I repositioned but ended up getting cornered. I think Wazdakka took out both of my Serpents.
[hr]

If he goes footslogging horde again I'd imagine you just eating him in CC and not having a problem getting there. In 2 turns you can move 36" (including charge range) and lock nasty big guns stuff. With that many rokkits you could handle Wraithlords nicely I'd wager...

Elfdar generally only wound on a 6 against Ork Bikers ('cept Witchblades... and a few other things :huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2010, 19:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ooops :-[, I think I missed out a vital word. I am playing orks against eldar, so this is the list I am considering, guessing that he will bring some mobility, or maybe go gun line on me.

He expects me to bring vehicles, so I thought I better not disappoint.

He doesn't have any Shining spears so I don't have to worry about them, he also has limited jetbikes, so I'm hoping he won't play too many of them.

- Will
Old 24 Jun 2010, 00:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I understood clearly that you were playing Orks against Eldar. I'm trying to find anywhere in my post that makes it sound like I think you are playing as Eldar... but I can't :P
[hr]

Anyway Mech Eldar can be dishearteningly speedy but Mech Eldar means very small numbers and also it means if they use their speed to its fullest potential then they aren't gonna be shooting you up. And if he doesn't use his speed to its fullest potential then a speed oriented list like yours can negate all those points he spent on being skwizzy and just focus on the krumpin' .

--> Like I said, your quantity of rokkits looks good (anything above Str8 doesn't cut it against Wave Serpents because of Energy Fields)...

... but on second thought I don't know how the Kans are going to help much because they seem to be at odds with the "speed" theme of your army. Eldar are very good at dismantling stuff piecemeal so something that's alone most likely means something that's dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2010, 11:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I misread the last section, I thought you meant if the ork player goes footslogger. :P

The plan with the kans, is that hopefully they will be aimed at with the anti-tank stuff instead of it being aimed at trukks. Especially considering Guardians and Die Avengers guns are str 3 meaning they won't be trukk killing!

- Will
Old 24 Jun 2010, 11:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

You're right, Will, this does more belong in the Army List section.

As for fighting Eldar, I've actually never encountered them on the tabletop so I'm afraid that I won't be able to offer any advice...

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2010, 11:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Grandpa Ducky, do you think it looks like a strong list in general? Or would you change some stuff?

That will be as helpful as anti-eldar tactica, which I am very thankful of.

- Will
Old 24 Jun 2010, 12:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

So much depends on the type of list he takes and since you don't know that then a good general list is in order.

Warbikers are too small of a unit in a 2k game, trust me. I've fielded 6 Warbikers against Eldar and they die when the Eldar want them to die. Being such a small unit with single wound models it's easy to focus fire and remove. Even if they don't destroy you outright, you only need to lose 2 models before you're testing morale. Either make this one unit or remove them completely. So now you're going to need more troops because two units won't cut it against Eldar.

You have a pretty fast list but I'm a bit concerned that your fast units are easily dealt with because of their size. Koptas, at three per-unit they can be removed quickly. You only have two Trukks and we know how easy those go boom. Your Warbikers will be an exception if you combine the unit. Anyway, you have speed and you have covering fire (good things), but things just don't seem to synergize. I would get yourself some more Trukks and Boyz if you can or potentially throw down another large unit of Bikers.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 13:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I am just using the stuff I already own, so buying more stuff isn't an option for me at the moment.

I have found bikes quite survivable, and again these are all the bikes I own. The other advantage with this is that they have to focus fire, if one runs and the other doesn't, I still have one more unit than if one large unit flees. If they all go in on big unit, then I will only have 2 troop choices. I also lose a power klaw.

For the trukks, they do have an obscured cover save, to try and help. I don't want to go foot slogging as I know they will get slaughtered. But also, the eldar, their basic weapons can't harm a trukk, this will hopefully reduce shots going to places.

The hope is, that the deffkoptas will start the battle in front of the trukks if I go second. They won't scout, so they will not be in range for normal catapult fire. They will also give the trukks secondary cover, which should help stop them being aimed at. Again the advantage with the koptas is that by using a small squad, even for a squad of 5, only two have to die, which could happen in one lucky phase, and that could send them all running.

Would it be a good idea for me to swap out the nobs for a squad of 11 boys in a trukk, and then 10 tankbustas? Or maybe instead of the tankbustas 18 boyz, with a nob w/ PK?

- Will
Old 24 Jun 2010, 13:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, another squad of Trukkers isn't a bad idea but I'd hate to see Tankbustas on foot. Ideally they'd have a ride and the only way that would happen would be to remove one Boomwagon, which would be worth it in my opinion. I've found Tankbustas to be invaluable against Mech Eldar.