Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000pt Evil Sunz Army List for newbie
Old 15 Mar 2010, 03:36   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 2000pt Evil Sunz Army List for newbie

Hey everyone. I come in here from time to time and get feedback from the vets on whatever army list I happen to be brainstorming on at the time. Ill be honest.. I desperately WANT to play Warhammer 40k but every time I get some money saved up to get started, pesky things like buying food and gas inevitably get in the way of my plans.

Anyway, I bought the new Ork codex when it came out and ive been mulling it over for months now in my free time.. and I wanted to run this list by yall to see what you thought of it's "viability".

I went with a 2000 point list because going with fewer points than that meant leaving out stuff that I really wanted and then id go back and forth with myself forever about what to take hehe, I figure i can chop the list up for smaller point games as necessary. So here it is, any feedback is welcome!

HQ
- Big Mek w/KFF, PK, bosspole, 'eavy armor and cybork body = 130
- Wazdakka Gutsmek = 180

Elite
- Meganobz x 5 + Battlewagon w/Kannon, Grots, red paint, armor, and ram = 325

Troops
- 'ard Boyz x 30 w/Nob w/PK and Bosspole, = 340
- Shoota Boyz x 12 w/Nob w/PK and Bosspole + Trukk w/Grots and Red Paint = 157
- Warbikers x 9 = 225
- Deff Dread w/Rokkit and Skorcha and Armor = 100

Fast Attack
- Deff Koptas x3 w/Twin Linked Rokkit x3 = 135

Heavy Support
- Deff Dread w/Rokkit and Big Shoota and Armor = 100
- Kans x 3 w/Rokkit x 3 = 150

Total: 1999

Big Mek will go with the Meganobz in the Battlewagon, and Wazdakka will attach to the other warbikers.

I think my favorite unit..and oddly my most expensive.. is my mob of 'ard boyz. My plan is to practice some conversions on them. I want to make it look like they are the Evil Sunz that have survived their vehicle being destroyed, and so they are wearing bits of vehicle debris until they can afford to build a new ride . So.. mufflers and wheels and steering wheels and all that jazz will be strapped to them as armor and such.

Corbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2010, 04:32   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: 2000pt Evil Sunz Army List for newbie

Well I just read the 'ard boyz tactica and it stressed the importance of putting your 'ard boyz in some kind of transport. It seems like sound advice and it also fits with the Evil Sunz theme..so I think maybe I should remove the 30 'ard boyz, and the ram from the meganobz battlewagon, and two of my warbikers and add in a nice battlewagon and a mob of 20 'ard boyz with a few big shootas. the new list would look like:

HQ
- Big Mek w/KFF, PK, bosspole, 'eavy armor and cybork body = 130
- Wazdakka Gutsmek = 180

Elite
- Meganobz x 5 + Battlewagon w/Kannon, Grots, red paint, armor = 320

Troops
- 'ard Boyz x 20 w/Big Shoota x3 w/Nob w/PK and Bosspole, = 255
- Warbikers x 7 = 175
- Deff Dread w/Rokkit and Skorcha and Armor = 100

Fast Attack

Heavy Support
- Battlewagon w/Kannon, Grotz, red paint, armor, and Deffrolla = 140
- Deff Dread w/Rokkit and Big Shoota and Armor = 100
- Kans x 3 w/Rokkit x 3 = 150

Old 18 Mar 2010, 13:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

I would suggest that you fit your dreads for 1 role in shooting. Giving them an Anti tank and an anti horde weapon wont help them accomplish either of those rolls at full potential. At BS2, a single rokkit is unreliable. Put 2 on the same model if you are using rokkits. Otherwise its like having a devastator squad (marines) with 4 lascannons and a sergeant with a power fist. Dont mix your roles too much so that they cant do either without wasting the other.

Where is the mek going? he isnt footslogging surely (or he would be instant killed easily by a weapon) and there is no room on any of the transports, unless he is with the meganobz...in which case it will be a doubly focussed target. Opponents will shoot and shoot until that battlewagon is destroyed. Considering it is open topped, i can see this happening sooner rather than later.

Also, i dont think evil sunz would use walkers. Too slow. In the end it's your army, but personally if i were sticking with the theme, then i would take them out, and for the points i save i would buy 3 warbuggies and i would make the warbike squadron 2 squads of 5, or a single squad of 10 (plus wazdakka of course)

Hope this helps

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2010, 18:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Lord Zambia is right on the Evil Sunz theme regarding Kans. However, if it's just a direction and you're not strictly adhering to the theme then it's all good. For the most part I like the list, it's not the typical list, which is a good thing. I have a few problems though. The thing with Meganobz is that their weakness is poor leadership with no re-rolls. I see you're attaching the Big Mek to them so you've now covered the weak leadership and re-rolls but in the current form your Big Mek doesn't fit with the unit. He's got respectable saves for Orks but the Meganobs are 2+ and if the Big Mek is charging into combat with the Meganobz, which I imagine he will since he has a bosspole, then a smart player is going to single out and remove the Big Mek leaving you without a KFF and resorting to lousy leadership in the unit. They can then pick apart the Meganobz, just needing to force a morale check when your Big Mek is dead and they're done for.

A few ideas here. One, forgo the Big Mek with the Meganobz and leave them to their own devices. That's not my recommendation but it's an option. Two, take a mega-armored Warboss, remove Gutsmek, and toss him with the Meganobz. He'll make them a troop unit instead of the Bikers and comparing 5 Meganobz with a Warboss to 7 Bikers with Gutsmek, the Meganobz are going to be the more resilient unit as a troop choice. With this suggestion I'd either keep the Big Mek with the Meganobz, and Warboss, in the BW but don't have him get out, he hides in it for his KFF, or remove an 'ard Boy and put him with them in that BW. The second placement idea will spread your threat around a bit instead of having all your eggs in one basket. Lastly, you could take a mega-armored Big Mek to join the Meganobz. The big downside here is the loss of the KFF, however if you're fielding two BWs in this list then you can screen the Trukks with the BWs easily enough. I'd personally go for the mega-armored Warboss and Big Mek with KFF.

Oh, your 'ard Boyz, you have 3 big shootas but you can only have 2. You get one weapon per-10 Orks, so at 20 Orks you can have 2. Probably just an oversight on the modified list. Where's the Nob for your Bikers? I agree with Zambia also on the Dread, pick a role for it and give it appropriate weapons.
Old 20 Mar 2010, 04:41   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hmmm.. thanks for all the advice

I like the idea of dropping the bikers and gutsmek and instead using a mega armored warboss with the nobz, making my meganobz a troop choice.

I could then reduce my 'ard boyz to 19 and put the big mek with KFF in with them.

As for the dreads.. I read alot of people saying that they love the 3rd melee weapon and flamer setup on the deff dread...so maybe ill go that route with one, then throw a couple rokkits on the other or some such.

And yah, dreads and kans arent incredibly fitting with Evil Sunz thematically... but I really want them hehe... and since i wanted a "mounted" army i figured the sunz would be the best choice. I could go for Death Skullz instead, but then I feel like you HAVE to throw in a group of lootas if you are gonna play deathskullz.

I dunno..ill play around with the list some more and post a new version.

Thanks again for the advice

Old 20 Mar 2010, 06:23   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ok I thought it over and here is what I came up with.

HQ
- Big Mek w/Burna, Mega-Armor, bosspole = 100
- Big Mek w/KFF, burna, bosspole, 'eavy armor = 115

Elite
- Meganobz x 5 + Battlewagon w/Kannon, Grots, armor = 315
- Kommandos x 10 w/Burna x 2 + Snikrot = 215

Troops
- 'ard Boyz x 19 w/Big Shoota x2 w/Nob w/PK and Bosspole, = 240
- Shoota Boyz x 12 w/Nob w/PK and Bosspole + Trukk w/Grots = 152
- Shoota Boyz x 12 w/Nob w/PK and Bosspole + Trukk w/Grots = 152
- Deff Dread w/CC Weapon, Skorcha, and Grots = 100
- Deff Dread w/CC Weapon, Skorcha, and Grots = 100

Fast Attack

Heavy Support
- Battlewagon w/Kannon, Grotz, armor = 115
- Kans x 3 w/Skorcha x 2, Grotzooka x1 = 125

First, I thought about the whole issue with dreads and kans not fitting Evil Sunz, and I looked at all the ork tribes and really didnt find a complete fit. But I did read over the little bit about the Arch Arsonist of Charadon again and I always was intrigued by that particular Waaagh that is giving the Ultramarines such a headache. So i thought that it would be pretty neat to make an army based around the Arch Arsonist.

So I went with 2 big meks.. the mega armored one will ride with the meganobz in their battlewagon..this will be the Arch Arsonist and his retinue. The KFF big mek will ride with the ard boyz. The ard boyz will be decked out in looted Ultramarine armor and the KFF big mek will be the "successor to the throne" of the Arch Arsonist...which was alluded to in the lore of the codex.

I can take both my deff dreads as a troop choice now..which is pretty sweet. And I switched them over to close combat with skorchas, since so many people seem to like that setup and its fitting for the army theme. I also switched 2 of my kans over to skorchas and throw in a grotzooka cause it sounds like a fun weapon hehe.

To make up for the lost rokkits i put in 3 more deffkoptas with TL Rokkits.

I then removed all the red paint from my vehicles, and the armor from my deff dreads, to make room for a nice sized group of Snikrot Kommandos. I figured that with the amount of vehicles I have...and the amount of points I have tied up in them.. having Snikrots ambush skill to put some kommandos within killing range of a dangerous anti-vehicle unit would be useful.

Unfortunately I wasnt able to fit in a group of Burna Boyz.. which would obviously be a very thematic choice. Mostly because I could not afford the boyz and a vehicle to put them in, and I felt it would be important that they have a vehicle.

So does this look more feasible?
Old 25 Mar 2010, 02:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Feasable? it depends if your looking for an evil sunz theme.

No offense, but not having red paint on evil sunz vehicles is like blood angels not taking assault marines, or like geoffs not taking any boyz.

Anyways back to the list itself, i can still see a few problems with the list. For starters giving 1 kan a ranged weapon means you are wasting its weapon by running instead of shooting, or wasting the other's weapons by shooting instead of getting closer. Kans are slow, and your opponent probably wont want to charge blindly forward into an evil sunz army, so skorchas are pretty much out, unless everything has a skorcha. Dont mix and match abilities. It's abit like taking a punisher and a vanquisher in the same squadron - when you can only target either an infantry or a vehicle, making the other tank useless.

Personally i would have 3 kans with grotzookas. To make the points, take out a dread. Then you can put red paint back on the vehicles, and have a decent team of kans

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Quote:
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 21:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hi,

I think your list looks good, I like it although I agree that the kans should all have the same weaponry as this makes them more effective. Although It may suit your theme better if it only has at leeats one burna so I would say maybe if you are using the contents of the boxes then Kans with 1 Grotzooka, 1 rokkit and 1 burna as the rokkit and Grotzooka can be used on similar things and if you are aiming at a tank you can just hope for scatter on the Grotzooka.

I think that your list is probably most suited to deathskulls, the trukks made of scavanged stuff, stolen burnas so you can cram them into an army,Looted armour for mega-nobs. I think that your entire list screams Deathskulls to me.

I like your army idea though.

- Will
Old 25 Mar 2010, 22:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will of kaos
I think that your list is probably most suited to deathskulls, the trukks made of scavanged stuff, stolen burnas so you can cram them into an army,Looted armour for mega-nobs. I think that your entire list screams Deathskulls to me.
Nah not shooty or looty enough :P

(Dont worry, i play deathskulls lol)

But nothing is stopping you from running this list. I ran my own klan of orks (which was pretty much "shove everything into an army list" klan) But if you have a theme that you like then by all means take that theme.

Zambia

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: