Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Triple Rollaz List
Old 07 Mar 2010, 21:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Triple Rollaz List

Hi All,
Wanted to get opinions on this list:

WAARGH Grumgutz Alterate 68 "Triple Rollaz!" (1850pts) 67 Infantry, 5 Walkers, 3 Vehicles; 13KPs
Warboss Grimskull Gobsmasha (Warboss w/HA, PK, Cybork Body)
Big Mek Wingnut w/KFF
Da Sinista Six: Nobzx6 w/Dokta Chop, PKsx2, BCsx3, WAARGH Banner, BP (BW Transport, Counts as Troop)
TinEar and Da Deffboyz (Lootasx11)
Irongob and Da'Ard Boyz ('Ard Boyzx19 w/PK Nob, BP)
Shootazx25 w/PK Nob
Da Fab Four (MegaNobzx4 w/Kombi-Skorchasx2; BW Transport)
Da Beast (BW w/Deffrolla, RPJ, Armor Plates, Big Shoota, Boarding Plank; Dedicated Transport)
Da Big Red Cheez (BW w/Deffrolla, RPJ, Armor Plates, Big Shoota, Boarding Plank)
Da Blingwagon (BW w/Deffrolla, RPJ, Armor Plates, Big Shoota, Boarding Plank; Dedicated Transport)
BigToof (DeffDread with total 3 CCW, Skorcha; Counts as Troop)
BigToof's Steelgrots (Killa Kansx2 w/Grotzookas)
BigToof's Rokkit Runts (Killa Kansx2 w/Rokkits)

Tried it out on an IG list and it really rocked it's socks off, destroying everything mech on turn 4. (there were still mates in reserve, but we were playing annihilation and well... it didn't matter too much).

I tested out adding another wagon to my list, and two more Kanz.
The Kanz sort of seemed unnecessary, but they did give more targets and clean-up potential.

As for the Rollaz, well, it was just pretty ugly. The Rollaz intimidated the player to castle up in the corner, whereupon the Rollaz came for them. I moved 13" the first turn, angled during the second to line up shots and stay out of suicide Melta, and then proceeded to cause harm.
The Rollaz didn't take down any AR14 vehicles, but did immobilizations or whatnot enough for them to be taken apart by the Boarding Plank Nobz/Warboss. I think I managed to hit a Chimera, unhouse some guys who only had plasma, and then rocked them with Nobz who WAARGH'ed into killing more tanks.
It was pretty ugly.
But was it a fluke? It didn't seem all that fun for my opponent, who had a shell-shocked look afterwards...

So, too ugly? Would you play against it? Want to know, as I am considering buying that third wagon cheap at this point.

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2010, 21:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Triple Rollaz List

It isn't cheesy or ugly as if they packed more antitank they could destroy the wagons easily. It is more unexpected meaning the opponent didn't know how to fight it. With my IG mech I could probably down alot of the wagons turn 1, he just didn't seem equipped for mech vs. triple Deffrolla. I love deffrollas!
Old 07 Mar 2010, 21:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Harbinger
It isn't cheesy or ugly as if they packed more antitank they could destroy the wagons easily. It is more unexpected meaning the opponent didn't know how to fight it. With my IG mech I could probably down alot of the wagons turn 1, he just didn't seem equipped for mech vs. triple Deffrolla. I love deffrollas!
Oh, good, then I don't feel that bad at all!
I think it was more shock value than anything, and he had two Vendettas in reserve for outflanking... They just didn't get to the board in time before his army was up in flames.
Don't get me wrong, he had a decent build with Demolishers and Meltas and what-not, but it was mostly short ranged/required suicide Melta, relying on the Vendettas to do the ugly long-range work.
As long as it doesn't seem too "cheezy" then I guess I can get that Wagon with confidence!

Best,
-BT
Old 07 Mar 2010, 21:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

It think your opponent did pretty much the worst thing possible. I would have fanned out so your battlewagons would have to spread out to crush me, thus exposing their side armor and shriking the KFF's effectiveness. Eventually people will learn to deal with deffrolla spam, just like they did with Nob bikers. I'd play against it, and whack the wagons with a tankhammer!

People in 5th rely too much on reserves now, and I've seen it screw people on multiple occasions. What's the point of having a fast as hell flyer that has lascannons start off the board?
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2010, 21:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
It think your opponent did pretty much the worst thing possible. I would have fanned out so your battlewagons would have to spread out to crush me, thus exposing their side armor and shriking the KFF's effectiveness. Eventually people will learn to deal with deffrolla spam, just like they did with Nob bikers. I'd play against it, and whack the wagons with a tankhammer!

People in 5th rely too much on reserves now, and I've seen it screw people on multiple occasions. What's the point of having a fast as hell flyer that has lascannons start off the board?
Nod, I think it's a strange thing too, but I see Vendettas go into reserve ALL the time if IG doesn't get first turn. Granted, the Lootas do help with that umm... decision
Still, is 3 Deffrollas spam?
I mean, it's not something ugly like 6, but is it too much?
I haven't done 3 Deffrollas since 'Ard Boyz (in which they were a LOT of fun, but not too effective), but at 1850...

Best,
-BT
Old 07 Mar 2010, 21:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Vendettas in reserve? Doesnt that player know what TL Lascannons do to ork vehicles :P Wow.

I would play against it, dont worry about that game, it sounds like he put his head in the gullotine volunterrily, all you had to do was cut the rope. Fanning out as far as possible, then shooting TL Lascannons into side of battlewagons = dead.

I think 3 deffrollas isnt bad. Seriously. Anyone who complains, dreadsock them :P Honestly its 1850, so its a big enough game, you can expect alot of mean machines...its like 3 landraiders at 1850...not the most common thing, but you would'nt cry cheese over it.

Looks like a good alternate list...look forward to the fluffy battle reports which must be coming soon :P

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2010, 22:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zambia
Vendettas in reserve? Doesnt that player know what TL Lascannons do to ork vehicles :P Wow.

I would play against it, dont worry about that game, it sounds like he put his head in the gullotine volunterrily, all you had to do was cut the rope. Fanning out as far as possible, then shooting TL Lascannons into side of battlewagons = dead.

I think 3 deffrollas isnt bad. Seriously. Anyone who complains, dreadsock them :P Honestly its 1850, so its a big enough game, you can expect alot of mean machines...its like 3 landraiders at 1850...not the most common thing, but you would'nt cry cheese over it.

Looks like a good alternate list...look forward to the fluffy battle reports which must be coming soon :P

Zambia
Haha, wow, that's a bit harsh on the criticism, but I guess it's all about how you play it. The whole Vendettas in reserve thing seemed sort of instinctive, as if it would have allowed him to get proper side/rear shots, I guess was the thinking. Don't really know. I have a mortal fear of those skimmers, as they have this habit of doing horrible, horrible Lascannon pain to the Wagons.
I guess I could write it up, it wasn't the most umm... interesting of battles, as it was kind of brutally one-sided (and given the games I've put up, you know that's something if I'm saying it), but I suppose if only for the deployment and tactics.

I'm often surprised that many people don't realize that deployment is really half the game.
If you let the Orks come for you and give yourself noplace to run, then you're trusting to your dice rolls and hoping you brought enough Dakka. Hmm, I'm starting to get ranty now, just I suppose a bit weary of being called too hardcore all the time...

Best,
-BT
Old 07 Mar 2010, 23:59   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I don't think people are quite used to it yet, which isn't surprising as a lot of us have been using the other interpretation for the Deffrolla. You weren't even using Burna Boyz.

I tried using a Deffrolla in a local tournament yesterday. The Burna Boyz did really well, but the Battlewagon itself never got to smash anything. I think people have been overestimating its threat range a bit. Unless you are trying to rush the Orks, by the time it gets to you you should have had a few opportunities to fire at the side armor. The Ork Battlewagon model has the overall shape of a bus, meaning that its front arc in 5th Edition is pretty narrow.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2010, 00:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
I don't think people are quite used to it yet, which isn't surprising as a lot of us have been using the other interpretation for the Deffrolla. You weren't even using Burna Boyz.

I tried using a Deffrolla in a local tournament yesterday. The Burna Boyz did really well, but the Battlewagon itself never got to smash anything. I think people have been overestimating its threat range a bit. Unless you are trying to rush the Orks, by the time it gets to you you should have had a few opportunities to fire at the side armor. The Ork Battlewagon model has the overall shape of a bus, meaning that its front arc in 5th Edition is pretty narrow.
Oooh, Burnas, that would be a nice combination.
As for the side shots, yes it is a bother, but I managed to pick up a little trick, which is using two Battlewagons to help extend your front arc.
Granted, your opponent can still try and hit you from the side, but if you're completely blocked off, he's going to have to go much further out of his way.
I tried it with three Wagons and it just gets beastly, as the center Wagon is pretty completely blocked off from LoS if you place them right. Keep them a bit apart and well, it can be a big block of doom.
Granted, it then turns like a big schoolbus, but, what can you do, eh?
As for the Battlewagon fear, I think I've already installed that fear well in my group, and they give me plenty of space to work with, but I manage to always whirl around before I roll in, which gives you plenty of options to work with. It's not everyday you see it, but watching a Steel line try and maneuver itself is just glorious

Best,
-BT