Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2k LGS (at warhammer world) tournament: Orkz!
Old 22 Feb 2010, 16:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 2k LGS (at warhammer world) tournament: Orkz!

So, we're having at 3 store tournament on april the 13th, against Hemel Hempstead, and Watford (we're St.Albans), so i've decided to take my orks.

Please review with C&C much appreciated.

Warboss =125pts
PK
Bike

Big mek =85pts
KFF

8 Nob bikers =490pts
Painboy
Painboy w. bosspole
2 PKs
5 Big choppas
Waaagh! banner
Kombi-skorcha

10 Nobz =445pts
2 PKs
Painboy w. bosspole
Waaagh! banner
7 Big choppas
Cybork boy (10)
Kombi-skorcha

Battlewagon =105pts
Armour plates
Big shoota

Battlewagon =105pts
Armour plates
Big shoota

Battlewagon =105pts
Armour plates
Big shoota

19 Boyz =154pts
Nob w. PK and bosspole

20 Boyz =135pts
Nob w. bosspole

10 gretchin =40pts
Runtherd

Deffkopta =70pts
Buzzsaw
TL rokkits

Deffkopta =70pts
Buzzsaw
TL rokkits

Deffkopta =70pts
Buzzsaw
TL rokkits

The general strategy is to zoom up the battlewagons, with the KFF mek in the wagon with 19 boyz- the normal nobz and the other 20 boyz in the the other 2 Battlewagons. The nob bikers will also zoom up, turbo boosting is neccessary. The grotz will sit on the objective. While the 'koptas outflank and blow up enemy tanks with their buzzsaws and rokkits.

I was thinking on dropping one of the 'koptas and a kombi-skorcha to add in a unit of 10 lootas to further reinforce my base. What do you think.

Cheers,

Scar
Old 22 Feb 2010, 16:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: 2k LGS (at warhammer world) tournament: Orkz!

Your first Nobz, the bikers, you have a Painboy listed and another Painboy with a bosspole, is that the same Painboy? I hope so because you can't take two of them :P With that, you're better off giving a Nob the bosspole because it will make that Nob unique when it comes to allocating wounds. The Painboy is already unique.

Otherwise though, it's a tough list. Some may think it's a bit cheesy though, having Nob bikers AND 3 Battlewagons.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 17:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks for the comments- The painboys are the something: typo there.

I'm sure people wont find it beardy at the tourney... it normal games maybe though :P

scar
Old 23 Feb 2010, 14:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

OK, so the revised army list is:

Warboss =95pts
PK
Cybork body

Big mek =85pts
KFF

8 Nob bikers =480pts
Painboy w. bosspole
2 PKs
4 Big choppas
Waaagh! banner

9 Nobz =405pts
2 PKs
Painboy w. bosspole
Waaagh! banner
7 Big choppas
Cybork boy (10)

Battlewagon =105pts
Armour plates
Big shoota

Battlewagon =105pts
Armour plates
Big shoota

Battlewagon =105pts
Armour plates
Big shoota

19 Boyz =154pts
Nob w. PK and bosspole

20 Boyz =135pts
Nob w. bosspole

10 gretchin =40pts
Runtherd

Deffkopta =70pts
Buzzsaw
TL rokkits

Deffkopta =70pts
Buzzsaw
TL rokkits

Deffkopta =70pts
Buzzsaw
TL rokkits

5 lootas =75pts

Old 23 Feb 2010, 15:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The 5 Lootas probably aren't going to accomplish much. If they lose 2 then they are making a morale check, lose 3 and they're unable to regroup. On account of your list I'd probably field 3 Kannons in their place. It will give you ranged anti-armor and anti-infantry at BS3 and it's a far more resilient unit than 5 Lootas are.

Why are your bosspoles on your Painboys? Like I said above, put the bosspoles on Nobs so you can better spread wounds around. Plus, you don't want to end up losing a Painboy and losing FNP and your bosspole in one whack.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 15:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ok- could you please clarify how the wound allocation would work for a very mixed nob squad- I think I will put the bosspole on a PK nob because I wouldn't want to take off the bosspole with a big choppa nob because they are the nobz that I will be most likely task off.

I will probably drop another boy and invest in some grot riggers for the kannon unit.

scar
Old 23 Feb 2010, 15:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}

The 5 Lootas probably aren't going to accomplish much. If they lose 2 then they are making a morale check, lose 3 and they're unable to regroup. On account of your list I'd probably field 3 Kannons in their place. It will give you ranged anti-armor and anti-infantry at BS3 and it's a far more resilient unit than 5 Lootas are.
I will have to disagree here, if you put them in cover they become much more survivable.

Also a squad of 5 is often ignored and this can really help popping transports and killing scouts and the like, even out ranging the Fire warrior pulse weapon. I find 5 quite a good number at 1000 pt games. They tend to be ignored by the opponent in squads of 5.

However I do not know how affective Kannons are however I think they will be aimed for more.

- Will
Old 23 Feb 2010, 15:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wound allocation for a complex unit is on pg. 25. The short of it is this, the more unique models you have the more you can spread wounds around. To make this simple, let's say you have 8 Nobz and they are all equipped the same. You then take 10 wounds so you roll 10 dice and remove those who failed. So, if you failed 5 armor saves you lose 5 Nobs. On the other hand, let's say you have 2 PKs, 4 big choppas and 2 with sluggas and choppas and that unit takes 10 wounds. You know each model has to make 1 save each and you have 2 extra wounds to put somewhere since you took 10 and only have 8 models. You could then allocate those extra 2 wounds to the slugga & choppa Nobs, meaning those ones are making 2 saves each. This means your PKs and big choppas have a better chance of living since they are only taking 1 armor save each.

Make sense? When you roll everything as a batch, lots of models the same, you end up losing more models when you have more wounds than you do models, as exampled above. With a complex unit you are choosing which models are making the saves so you can spread wounds around to have a better chance of not killing of models you need. This is what makes a Nob unit so powerful, the ability to make each model in that unit unique.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 16:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
Wound allocation for a complex unit is on pg. 25. The short of it is this, the more unique models you have the more you can spread wounds around. To make this simple, let's say you have 8 Nobz and they are all equipped the same. You then take 10 wounds so you roll 10 dice and remove those who failed. So, if you failed 5 armor saves you lose 5 Nobs. On the other hand, let's say you have 2 PKs, 4 big choppas and 2 with sluggas and choppas and that unit takes 10 wounds. You know each model has to make 1 save each and you have 2 extra wounds to put somewhere since you took 10 and only have 8 models. You could then allocate those extra 2 wounds to the slugga & choppa Nobs, meaning those ones are making 2 saves each. This means your PKs and big choppas have a better chance of living since they are only taking 1 armor save each.

Make sense? When you roll everything as a batch, lots of models the same, you end up losing more models when you have more wounds than you do models, as exampled above. With a complex unit you are choosing which models are making the saves so you can spread wounds around to have a better chance of not killing of models you need. This is what makes a Nob unit so powerful, the ability to make each model in that unit unique.
Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification.

scar