Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

WAAAGH! Shacklenut: First Ork list critique please
Old 01 Jan 2010, 13:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default WAAAGH! Shacklenut: First Ork list critique please

THese are my first army lists for orks and I'm looking for critique. i hav a small feeling it may be too beardy? What do you think?

HQ
Wazdakka Gutsmek = 180 points

Elites
Nobz – 7 Nobz, 1 power klaws, 6 big choppas, Painboy, Warbikes = 270

Troops
Warbikers – 5 warbikers, 1 Nob, Power claw, boss pole = 185

Heavy Support
Battle wagon - Kill cannon, Kannon, Deff Rolla = 180

= 1000 points

[hr]
[hr]

HQ
Wazdakka Gutsmek = 180

Elites
Nobz – 7 Nobz, 1 power klaws, 6 big choppas, Painboy, Warbikes = 270

Troops

Heavy Support
Battle wagon - Kill cannon, Kannon, Deff Rolla, 3 Big shootas = 205

Flash Gitz – 10 flash Gitz, More dakka = 300

= 1500 points
Old 01 Jan 2010, 14:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia
Default Re: WAAAGH! Shacklenut: First Ork list critique please

Remember you can take a nob bikers squad as a troop choice if you have a warboss. Consider having both wazdakka and a warboss in the higher point games so you have more to take objectives.

You have under 20 models in 1000pts. WHile normally this would be alright, you will find that you need more models. Space marines field more models than that. If you want a pure warbiking team, dont take a battlewagon in 1000pts, and take another warbiker squad or 2, or even 12 boyz in a trukk. Its still fast and ramshackle is quite a good ability.

At the moment most experienced players will be able to handle you because of low numbers, but also poor initiative. Orks generally dont strike first against all but Tau and maybe guard, (as in boyz) as they have initiative 2. The reason boyz are so dangerous is because there are so many of them that enough are left after the opponents attacks to batter them into oblivion. Toughness 5 is a good stat, but strength 8 weapons or higher will instant kill even your nob bikers.

If its your first army list, i advise against an all bikes list. Go ahead, take 1 even 2 bike squads in 1000 points, but beginner ork armies generally need lots and lots of boyz. under 20 models is too easy to gun down, and it doesnt make use of their mob rule either. Try to use the ork abilities to your advantage Harbinger

Hope this helps

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jan 2010, 16:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I did some thinking and drew up this list for 1500 points but i think it still isn't there and I am unsure what to cut to make it 1000 points.

Warboss – Power klaw, Warbike, boss pole = 130

Nobz – 7 Nobz, Big choppas, Boss pole, ‘eavy armour = 295
Battle wagon – Deff Rolla, Armour plates

Nobz – 5 Nobz, Pain boy, Nob bikers, 5 Choppas, Waaagh banner = 215

Ork Boyz - 11 Boyz, 1 Nob, Power klaw, bosspole, ard Boyz = 215
Trukk, Wrecking ball, Armour plates

Ork Boyz – 11 Boyz, 1 Nob, power klaw, bosspole = 167

Ork Boyz – 11 Boyz, 1 Nob, power klaw, bosspole = 167

Battle wagon – Kill cannon, 2 big shootas 160

Flash Gitz – 5 Flash Gitz, More dakka = 150

1499 points

Old 02 Jan 2010, 08:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

take out 1 trukk mob of boyz, both battlewagons and flash gits and you will be left with some points to spare to give your now footslogging nobz a painboy and possibly some cyborg armour. Trust me i take a large footslog of nobz with heavy armour and painboy and cyborg bodies and they are rarely brought down by the end of the game. Especially when your opponent has nob bikers to shoot.

If you do that you should be able to cut down to a rather effective 1000pt army regardless of opponent

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2010, 17:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like your latest revision. It's an interesting list.

Your Nobz mob with the BW cost is off though. I'm come out at 335 for that unit. They all have big choppas, 'eavy armor, and one bosspole, right? If so then you're off in the points.

Biker Nobz cost is off also. I have you at 270 points. I think you may have miscalculated the Pain Boy. There's some discussion on it but the general consensus is you first pay for the Nob then pay the cost to make him a Pain Boy. You may have just paid for the Pain Boy without the Nob cost first...just guessing.

Once you get your cost values fixed you can re-evaluate the list and we'll take it from there.
Old 05 Jan 2010, 18:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
I like your latest revision. It's an interesting list.

Your Nobz mob with the BW cost is off though. I'm come out at 335 for that unit. They all have big choppas, 'eavy armor, and one bosspole, right? If so then you're off in the points.

Biker Nobz cost is off also. I have you at 270 points. I think you may have miscalculated the Pain Boy. There's some discussion on it but the general consensus is you first pay for the Nob then pay the cost to make him a Pain Boy. You may have just paid for the Pain Boy without the Nob cost first...just guessing.

Once you get your cost values fixed you can re-evaluate the list and we'll take it from there.
Are you sure? I just looked in my codex and checked and it came to 215. And I did buy the nob then the pain boy 'upgrade' by my calculations the nobz should be:

Nobz – 5 Nobz, Pain boy, Nob bikers, 5 big Choppas, Waaagh banner = 215

(I also seem to have forgotten power klaws -.-)

[hr]

Warboss – Power klaw, Warbike, boss pole = 130

Nobz – 5 Nobz, Power klaw, Pain boy, Nob bikers, 5 Big Choppas, Waagh! banner = 240

Ork Boyz - 11 Boyz, 1 Nob, Power klaw = 142
Trukk

Ork Boyz – 19 Boyz, ‘ard boyz, 1 Nob, power klaw, bosspole = 240

Battle wagon – Deff Rolla, Armour plates, Kannon = 130

Total points = 865

I quite like this list as It has bikes! Though I can't decide where to put my last lot of points or wether to drop a nob biker and pick something. Also is you haven't guessed by now I like Lots of ork vehicles as that is why i started orks. I am thinking of a looted wagon with a boomgun but they seem a bit too fragile. Sorry for so many lists but I'm always like this when I first start an army.

Old 05 Jan 2010, 19:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Nobz – 5 Nobz, Power klaw, Pain boy, Nob bikers, 5 Big Choppas, Waagh! banner = 240
I'll try and break this out in a way to not get into trouble.

Nobz x 5 w/Bikes = 225 pts (A single Nob w/Bike runs you 45pts per-model)
PK, Pain Boy, big choppas x 5 and Waaagh! Banner = 105 pts
Unit Total = 330

I'm thinking maybe you're not adding the bike cost to each model? Each model buys a bike, it's not a flat cost for the whole unit.
Old 05 Jan 2010, 20:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
Quote:
I'll try and break this out in a way to not get into trouble.

Nobz x 5 w/Bikes = 225 pts (A single Nob w/Bike runs you 45pts per-model)
PK, Pain Boy, big choppas x 5 and Waaagh! Banner = 105 pts
Unit Total = 330

I'm thinking maybe you're not adding the bike cost to each model? Each model buys a bike, it's not a flat cost for the whole unit.
Oh, I have no Idea why I thought it was 25 for a flat cost of bikers. Would Normal Bikers do as well as the nobz.

Would war bikers be another option rather than nob bikers?
Old 05 Jan 2010, 22:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

Both Nob bikerz and Warbikers are really expensive, even though it is a good deal
Nobz are multimple wound, decent strength WITH furious charge, and increased toughness from the bike. You can take Big Choppas and make your S as good as plasma, or a PK and laugh at the space marine fists as they are inferior to yours. Nobz have a lot of attacks, and can also get FnP.

Warbikers are a boy on a bike, so naturally a lot cheaper. You are still paying a boatload of points for something that 'goes fast' and then it gets tied up (or at least mine do) because after the turn you assault, nothing is going to happen for a while...

Both are good, but are likely to bite the dust againts competitive armies. Also, I really disapprove of nob units, because anything a nob can do, 30 boyz can do better.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2010, 23:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Imagine, Nob Bikers at a base cost of 25...oh, the pain to those who faced off against that

The biggest advantage Nob Bikers have other than being 2 wounds is the wargear options. By equipping each of them uniquely you get to abuse the complex unit wound allocation system. Normal Bikers still do well, I use them myself, and they do hold up pretty well but they aren't Nob Bikers. A unit of Nob Bikers and a unit of normal Bikers works well. You'll still have your hammer unit and then another fast support unit.