Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Death Skullz 1,850 tournament list
Old 09 May 2009, 14:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Death Skullz 1,850 tournament list

Here's the list I'm taking to a tourney today. I'm doing a little experimenting, so we'll see how it works.

HQ
[225 points] WAAAGH! Prophet Ulfgraw Thrargraz (ghazgull thraka equivalent)

Elite
[200 points] 5 meganobz

[255 points] kommandos:
Boss snikrot, 2 kommandos with burnas, 12 kommandos with sluggas and choppas

fast attack
[165 points] deffkoptas:
3 deffkoptas with twin-linked rokkit launchas, 2 big bomms

heavy support
[45 points] looted wagon
red paint job, big shoota

[45 points] looted wagon

troops
[203 points] ork boyz:
27 slugga boyz, nob with power klaw

[210 points] ork boyz:
26 shoota boyz, 3 boyz with big shootas, nob with big choppa

[107 points] ork boyz:
11 slugga boyz, nob with power klaw

[107 points] ork boyz:
[40 points] dedicated transport: trukk with red paint job

[107 points] ork boyz:
[35 points] dedicated transport: trukk

[104 points] gretchin:
26 gretchin, 2 runtherds

Prismshard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 19:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Wurrzappa Send a message via MSN to Wurrzappa
Default Re: Death Skullz 1,850 tournament list

Isn't looking that bad but for a death skull army but...where are the lootas?? and why not giving the meganobz a battlewagon. They will be to slow and your enemy can easily walk away from them. The looted wagonz are better with boomguns to kill most of your enemy models in the first turns since I don't think it will work to send just 2 forwards. 26 Grots in a unit?! if you are focussing on a horde that runs to your enemy then split the Grots to 10 each and give your horde cover. Drop the big bomms on the Deffkoptas since they won't even make it to your enemy with only 3 of them...you could better buy another looted wagon with boomgun.

Me 'n ma ladz in da early dayz
Wurrzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 13:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prismshard
Here's the list I'm taking to a tourney today. I'm doing a little experimenting, so we'll see how it works.

HQ
[225 points] WAAAGH! Prophet Ulfgraw Thrargraz (ghazgull thraka equivalent)
A good HQ choice, and you're using counts-as instead of just "He's changing teams." Good

Quote:
Elite
[200 points] 5 meganobz

[255 points] kommandos:
Boss snikrot, 2 kommandos with burnas, 12 kommandos with sluggas and choppas
Both good units. I'm assuming the Meganobz are Ulfgraw's retinue.

Quote:
fast attack
[165 points] deffkoptas:
3 deffkoptas with twin-linked rokkit launchas, 2 big bomms
Drop the big bomms. The aren't bad weapons for what they do but since you have to move over the enemy to fire them you're putting yourself at risk to close the distance fast enough. Also, split the koptas into the three fast attack units. It'll save them the trouble of morale and you can fire at different targets if you need to.

Quote:
heavy support
[45 points] looted wagon

[45 points] looted wagon
While fluffy, I find transport looted wagons to be a waste compared to trukks. If your enemy wants your transport downed, the difference between AV10 and AV11 probably won't save you when melta weapons are brought to bear. I'd clip some points in other places and throw on boomguns.

Quote:
troops
[203 points] ork boyz:
27 slugga boyz, nob with power klaw

[210 points] ork boyz:
26 shoota boyz, 3 boyz with big shootas, nob with big choppa

[107 points] ork boyz:

[107 points] ork boyz:
[40 points] dedicated transport: trukk with red paint job

[107 points] ork boyz:
[35 points] dedicated transport: trukk

[104 points] gretchin:
26 gretchin, 2 runtherds
Nothing wrong with the horde boyz I find trukks too weak to survive without a KFF, and then your sluggas are sitting ducks waiting to be downed as soon as there is firepower to spare, and without bosspoles they'll be killed quickly. Having four vehicles as targets is a lesser fix, but with the variance in speeds it won't help much. Also, the grots are ineffective except as a tarpit or holding objectives in lots of cover.

Here's what I'd do with this list.

-Drop big bomms, the wagon's red paint jobs, and the boyz going in one of the looted wagons, and buy boomguns for both wagons. Use them in concert to destroy anything you can (leaving 7 points free).

-Trim the grotz down to 10 and a runtherd. They are now objective holders. Sure, in annihilation they are near worthless, but that's a 1/3 scenario, and it's a risk I'd take for what it gives you. Also, remember to hold the grotz in reserve, and hopefully by the time they come out the boyz will be stuck in with the long range shooters (frees up 64 points, for a total of 71).

-Buy your Meganobs a trukk. Trukks have paper for armor, so upgrading them is often a pointsink. With the Meganobs you might be able to make a case for armor plates, but that's still a risk (costs 35 points, leaving 36).

-Drop the red paint from the trukk boyz, and the three big shootas to give the shoota Nob a klaw. Big choppas are useless on mob Nobs in my experience. This gives the mob an anti-tank option, and klaws are much better at taking out MEQs and TEQs, especially since shoota boyz get fewer attacks than sluggas.

-Put bosspoles in every boyz unit. This is a must for the trukkers, and it'll be helpful for the mobs if they get thinned out by shooting (costs 20, leaves 16 points)

-Throw two more boyz in the first nob. Those bodies will be needed (costs 12, leaves 4).

-Since there isn't much you can do with 4 points, you could throw an ammo runt on Ulfgraw if you want. It'll probably be useless, but hey, you never know.

-As an alternative to the trukks, you could drop all of them, consolidate the trukkers into a mob, and outfit the Meganobs with a battlewagon and plenty of points left for more goodies. This is probably a safer strategy, but the trukks could have a bigger pay-off. I'm not doing the calculations for this one.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 16:06   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the suggestions. The tournament went OK, I had a loss(which was barely a loss) in a KP game to necrons(he had 7 KP in his army to my 12, though I killed most of his army he had me beat 5 to 4). The second game was a draw, that I should have won if I'd been paying closer attention to the clock(I could have freely claimed one objective if I'd realized it would be the last turn). And I clobbered another ork player in the third round. The large gretchin mob was useful... I strung them out in a long horizontal line at the rear and they claimed 3 objectives(the tourney rules allowed a unit to claim more than one objective).

Conclusions:

1) Looted wagons are pretty effective transports... I only had 2 taken out over the course of 3 games, and they drew fire instead of the trukks. I didn't lose even one trukk the whole day.

2) Deffkoptas are a complete waste of points... they weren't worth a damn in any of the games. I should have used the points for upgrades on squads and a trio of Kans or something. I decided to experiment with the Deffkoptas, fully expecting them to be a bit disappointing, and they were supremely disappointing. Even against Orks the bigbomms had very little effect.

3) Bosspoles are a must in the 12-boy mobs.

4) I love my big mob of gretchin. I know people think I'm nuts for running such a big mob of them, but they have done so much for grabbing objectives and providing cover for my boyz in nearly every game I use them in. Yes, they are absolutely useless for combat purposes, but used as cover and objective holders they are amazing. I might just have to write up a gretchin tactica.

The other suggestions involving lootas and a battlewagon are somewhat moot for me, since I own none of either. I may just start collecting lootas soon, however... Though I have over 180 ork models, all of which are painted and based to a high standard. After finishing them I swore if I painted another ork ever again it would be too soon... That, and money, is really all that's stopping me there.

Thanks for all the tips. When I put together another list I'll take it into account.
Prismshard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 22:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

1) Huh. I'll keep that in mind. I'm looking into a looted wagon myself.

2) If you drop the bigbomms as I recommended, 3 kans with grotzookas have the same point value as the koptas, and as Bigtoof can attest that unit is awesome. I'm running them myself now and they are amazing at taking out hordes, although it makes you reliant on klaws for anti-tank.

3) Yep.

4) I'd love to see a Grot tactica. I've used the string grabbing with Orks, but using smaller models that would be better for LoS purposes.

I don't have an exact count of my boyz, but it's a over 100, painted to a low standard and unbased, and I'm still tired of painting the buggers. I loved getting my wagon because even with a minimal paint standard it was still fantastic to model and paint something other than a greenskin.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote