Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Red Ones Go Fasta! - 2,000 Point Speed Freaks
Old 15 Apr 2009, 05:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Red Ones Go Fasta! - 2,000 Point Speed Freaks

For those of you who took the time to read my last list I was planning a horde/speed freak hybrid list. Recently I was able to purchase a larger number of OOP bikes and buggies which I plan to convert to Scorchas and buggies. So now that I have a ton of fast stuff I'm just going to be building a pure Speed Freaks list. Here's what I've come up with so far but criticism and suggestions are always welcome!

HQ

Wazdakka - 180

Warboss - 120
- Power Klaw
- skorcha Kombi
- Cybork
- Attack Squig
- Bosspole

Elites

Nobz(8 ) - 290
- Cyborks
- Power Klaw x2
- Skorcha Kombi x2
- Painboy
- Bosspole

Troops

Warbikers(8 ) - 240
- Nob
- Power Klaw
- Bosspole

Trukk Boyz(12) - 157
- Nob
- Power Klaw
- Bosspole

Dedicated Transport: Trukk
- Red Paint Job
- Reinforced Ram

Trukk Boyz(12) - 157
- Nob
- Power Klaw
- Bosspole

- Red Paint Job
- Reinforced Ram

Trukk Boyz(12) - 157
- Nob
- Power Klaw
- Bosspole

- Red Paint Job
- Reinforced Ram

Trukk Boyz(12) - 157
- Nob
- Power Klaw
- Bosspole

- Red Paint Job
- Reinforced Ram

Fast Attack

Warbuggies(3) - 135
- Skorchas x3
- Red Paint Job x3

Warbuggies(3) - 135
- Skorchas x3
- Red Paint Job x3

Deff Koptas(3) - 135
- TL Rokkits x3

Heavy Support

Battle Wagon - 105
- Red Paint Job
- Reinforced ram
- Big Shoota

Total: 1,968 Points

So that's the basic setup. I still have 32 points to spend, but I haven't decided what to use them on. I suppose I could give the boyz big shootas or add another Nob or Power Klaw to the Nob squad. I could probably get an extra upgrade or two for the battle wagon as well.

Also, I've heard to use sluggas and choppas for trukk boys and I've heard to take shootas. Sluggas and choppas seems better simply because the number of attacks in CC will be greater and since they have a higher WS than BS obviously they have a better chance of inflicted hits. But the other thought is some of them are likely to have their trukk immobilized and they may have to slog it a turn or two, in which case the shootas would be better while they advance. Maybe a split of both?

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2009, 06:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Red Ones Go Fasta! - 2,000 Point Speed Freaks

Looks good. Not much to critique with this list. I'm guessing you are going for a theme with the red paint all around. If not I'd probably ditch it on the buggies since they are already really fast. If you added that to the 32 points you've already got that would give you 62 to spend. Not a lot you can do with that, but consider maybe a grot mob or some big gunz. While neither seems like it has a place in a KOS army they can be justified. When I finally make my guns they will be mounted on trailers with toe hitches and carried into battle on the back of my trukks. The grots could easily hitch a ride on the outside of the battlewagon and hop off before the battle.

The grots would let you have something in your deployment zone to claim objectives while the rest of your army flew forward and fought aggressively. The big gunz, I'd go with three kannons, could offer some cover fire for the vehicles as they advance. Being able to swap ammo, the gunz can help out against whatever is threatening your trukks.

Overall good list, and I look forward to some pictures and battreps.

Here is where I stand on the shootas vs sluggas debate; get both. I always run one unit of shootas. Sometimes it is just better to sit in a trukk and shoot your enemy instead of charging them...bloodletters, genestealers, and beserkers come to mind. Yes they aren't as good in hand to hand, but their shooting makes up for it. If I had the models I'd probably make another unit of them too.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2009, 08:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hi there love the list its very me What your plan with your Warbos and Nobz?
Old 15 Apr 2009, 11:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Good looking list but I do have one concern, the lack of ranged anti-armor. All you have on that front is the Koptas. PKs are great WHEN you get to assault the vehicle but it just can't be relied upon. I'd swap 3 Buggies to have tl-rokkits instead of skorchas. You could consider giving a few trukks rokkits too for after they drop off the Boyz, or even give a Boy or two in the Trukks a rokkit. Just don't rely on a single unit for all your armor busting needs.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 19:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Good advice all around! Thanks guys!

Here's my revised list:

HQ

Wazdakka - 180

Warboss - 120
- Power Klaw
- skorcha Kombi
- Cybork
- Attack Squig
- Bosspole

Elites

Nobz(8 ) - 290
- Cyborks
- Power Klaw x2
- Skorcha Kombi x2
- Painboy
- Bosspole

Troops

Warbikers(8 ) - 240
- Nob
- Power Klaw
- Bosspole

Trukk Boyz(12) - 157
- Nob
- Power Klaw
- Bosspole

- Red Paint Job
- Reinforced Ram

Trukk Boyz(12) - 157
- Nob
- Power Klaw
- Bosspole

- Red Paint Job
- Reinforced Ram

Trukk Boyz(12) - 162
- Nob
- Power Klaw
- Bosspole

- Red Paint Job
- Reinforced Ram
- Rokkit Launcha

Trukk Boyz(12) - 162
- Nob
- Power Klaw
- Bosspole

- Red Paint Job
- Reinforced Ram
- Rokkit Launcha

Gretchin(15) - 52
- Runtherd

Fast Attack

Warbuggies(3) - 120
- Skorchas x3

Warbuggies(3) - 120
- TL Rokkits x3
- Trakks x3

Deff Koptas(3) - 135
- TL Rokkits x3

Heavy Support

Battle Wagon - 105
- Red Paint Job
- Reinforced ram
- Big Shoota

Total: 2,000 Points

I'm really happy with the list overall. There's a few minor annoyances like thinking the squads might benefit from some big shootas and the Grot squad could be a bit larger. I may end up dropping a Nob to get a few more points for upgrades and grots, but we'll see.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2009, 20:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think you're fine with Grots. I usually only field 10 Grots and a Runtherd and they manage to hold on to that home objective the entire game...usually. A trick is to put them in reserves and when they show up go take the home objective. That way you avoid a few rounds of of being shot at. Ideally you're objective, or an objective, is in area terrain too. I just keep them going to ground to get a 3+ save, works well.

As for the special weapon for the Boyz, it's a good idea but not required. I do it so when I'm between assaults I can fire off a few shots, or even on the way into assault. You do of course lose an attack but it's just one attack you're losing and gaining the benefit of having some fire power.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 02:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Very efficient list, and should be fun to play too. If the warboss is going to ride with the nobs you can take his bosspole out and buy a grot with the points. If you took out a single nob, instead of buying more grots think about a single kannon. The last game I played my opponent worried about the lone gun the entire game. Being so cheap you feel like an idiot wasting fire on it, and it will easily earn its points back. I think my single kannon killed a bloodcrusher and a bloodletter. Adds a tiny bit of ranged anti-tank/monstrous creature fire too, and at a better BS. Just food for thought.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote