Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

wifes ork army list (work in progress
Old 19 Feb 2009, 22:52   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default wifes ork army list (work in progress

Figured I'd post this. This is my wifes ork army so far. Yes its not truely orkish yet but its what she has and wanted. She will primarily be fighting my heavily armored Tau army (see list included) I wanted her (or maybe don't want her lol) to add 2 more squads of 20 ork boys each. She likes the idea of a battlewagon also. Possibly more lootas and tankbustas also. Tips and suggestions are very welcomed.

S.M.

1- warboss shoota/rockkit kombi power klaw

5- nobs shoota/rockkit combi power klaws

18- ork boys choppa and slugga ard boys

2- ork boys choppa big shoota ard boys

5- tank bustas

2- bomb squigs

5- lootas

2- Burnas (because she has them and I let her use them attached to a unit)

3- deffkoptas kustom mega blasta big bomm buzzsaw

3- warbikers power claws

1- killa kan mega blasta armour plates

1- trukk big shoota, wrecking ball, armour plates, red, boarding plank, ram, grot riggers

total about 1320

***my TAU army****

Roughly 1550 point army with all vehicles upgraded.

1 HQ Shaso commander ABFP, PR or MP, HWtl, hwmt, hwdc with 2 shield drones

1 XV8 suit- hwtl, mp or pr, burst cannon

12 pathfinders with ml's (2 teams)

2 df's with smart missles

16 firewarriors with pulse rifles (2 teams)

2 broadsides with advanced stabilization

2 hammerheads with railgun

vehicle upgrades:
2 seekers
multitracker
target lock
disruption pod
fletchette launcher
targeting array

Wishlist:
2 teams of 20 kroot and 10 kroot hounds (especially after reading the informative thread on them here on the forums)
4 additional pathfinders with rail rifles (2 per team)
4 more firewarriors per team
5 more battlesuits (possibly)
Shadowmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2009, 23:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: wifes ork army list (work in progress

Alright, first off:

Please use a proper army list format. Usually, everything that belongs to a single unit is written into the same line or paragraph, to avoid confusion. Just look at Thor's army list, which can be found here:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=79468.0
It's easy to see what belongs to what, which unit of Nobs has been taken as Troops and which has been taken as Elite (if there would be any Elite Nobs ), and so on.

This makes it not just easier for us to read and comment on your list, it is also easier for yourself to use the list in an actual game - you know with a single glance what is scoring, and what isn't, and so on.

But now, on to your list:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmech
1- warboss shoota/rockkit kombi power klaw
Well, kinda standard, but I'd either drop the Kombi-Rokkit or add an ammo grunt, to add at least some reliability.

Quote:
5- nobs shoota/rockkit combi power klaws
Drop the Kombi-Rokkits, add Eavy armour. Depending on how cruel your wife feels, she could equip the whole unit differently, which means a big bonus when it comes to unit survivability. A Bosspole would be needed, too - units this small have usually problems with morale.

Generally, Kombi-Rokkits are a waste of points. The only Kombiweapon I can safely vouch for is the Kombi-skorcha, and even then only one or two - you still want to have something to charge after you're done shooting, after all!

Also: Drop a few Powerklaws. They are very expensive (a Meganob is actually cheaper than a Nob armed with a Powerklaw!), and you definitely want some Nobs that make use to the I4 they gain from Furious Charge (with Klaws, 95% of enemies will strike first - which means you'll take aome casualties before striking back). I, personally, love Big Choppas (the minis looking awesome is a bonus), and S7 on a charge is... well... sufficient in most cases, to say the least (cracks open vehicles like there's no tomorrow, and chops down Orks and I 2-3 minis before they can strike back).

Quote:
18- ork boys choppa and slugga ard boys

2- ork boys choppa big shoota ard boys
I personally, prefer to give Big Shootas only to units of Shootas. With Sluggas, I wanna close into CC as soon as possible - which means running a lot (which, in turn, means no shooting). Also, the 'ard Boys" upgrade is highly debated, but I think the consensus amongst Ork players on this board is that for large, footslogging units "more bodies" is usually the better approach, especially considering the fact that 4+ cover saves are abundant in 40K (and you can get them for quite cheap by just adding a unit of meatshields - read: Grots - to your army). I'd only take 'ard Boyz in smaller units in Trukks.
Quote:
5- tank bustas

2- bomb squigs
A highly controversial choice. Their problem is the "glory Hog" rule, but they COULD be effective. Add a Powerklaw to the Nob, two Tankhammers, and give them a ride. Use them as CC-weapon. Could work, probably doesn't.
Quote:
5- lootas
More. MORE!
Quote:
2- Burnas (because she has them and I let her use them attached to a unit)
They're actually a nice unit, but against Tau, they're quite... worthless...
Quote:
3- deffkoptas kustom mega blasta big bomm buzzsaw
No. The Bonesaw does NOT approve. TL Rokkits are cheaper and more reliable, while at the same time at the exact same Strength. Use those nasties to go tank hunting, not to open Terminators.
Quote:
3- warbikers power claws
Only one Power Klaw possible (Nob-only upgrade). More bodies would be nice, but, yeah.
Quote:
1- killa kan mega blasta armour plates
Hm... Mega Blasta? Well... that's actually the only unit where I can see them being fielded (no Gets Hot!)... I'm still a big fan of Big Shootas or Rokkits or Grotzookas...
Quote:
1- trukk big shoota, wrecking ball, armour plates, red, boarding plank, ram, grot riggers
Which unit does this Trukk transport? I guess it was bought for the Nobs? Note that Trukks are dedicated transports, and as such have to be bought for a unit.

I know it's hard to build up an Ork army with nothing else than the AoBR set and the Ark spearhead (I suppose that's what your wife got? Either that or the Ork boxed set with 20 Boys, 3 Bikers and the Trukk), but it's possible.

My suggestions:

Keep the Warboss as is. Add an Ammo Runt.

Modify the Nobs. Put one into the big Slugga unit (but add a Bosspole, just to be on the save side). Make the rest a bit cheaper.

Keep the Sluggas. They're good, but add a Nob. Drop the Big Shootas, and use more Boyz instead. If you keep the headcount under 20, you can give them a Battlewagon (but keep it open-topped!).

IMPORTANT: Get an additional scoring unit! Your army is barely legal (only two troops, one of them the Nobs), and more bodies is what basically every Ork army needs.

Decide for either Tankbustaz or Lootas, and up the model count of the unit you're settling for.

Get a Battlewagon. Use it to carry your Sluggas around.

I won't comment on your Tau list; even though I'm a Tau player, it's nearly 1 A.M., and I need to go to sleep. My comment to you and your wife:

Start with 750-1000 point games. It is easier to play "proper" games if you have some models to spare than if you have to take all possible upgrades to fulfill the point limit.

My suggested army list would be (excuse the point values; I don't have my Dex with me):

HQ: Warboss: Kombi-Rokkit, Power Klaw, Ammo Runt, Bosspole: 100 points?

Troops: Nobs: 4 Nobs: 2 Powerklaws, 2 Big Choppas, 4 Eavy Armour 160
Trukk: Armour Plates, Red Paint, Reinforced Ram 55
Warboss rides with this unit

Troops: 18 Sluggas, Nob with Powerklaw and Bosspole: 154

Elite: 10 Lootas/Tank Bustas 150

Fast Attack: 3 Deffkoptas: TL Rokkits 135

Heavy Support: Battlewagon: Armour Plates, Red Paint, Big Shoota 110 (I think)
Sluggas go in here

2 Killa Kans: about... 80 points?

Leaves you with around 950 points. Add in some other stuff (10 Grots+Runtherd, etc), and you've got a nice 1K points army.

[hr]

Generally speaking, the Orks seriously lack numbers. For example, compare your army with my current 1K army:

HQ: Warboss in Megaarmour

HQ: Big Mek with KFF

ELITE: 4 Nobs (Eavy Armor, 3 Big Choppas, 1 Kombiskorcha, 1 Bosspole)
+Trukk: Armour plates, reinforced ram, rokkit launcha
Big Mek goes in here

Troops: 3 Meganobs (2 Kombiweapons)
+Trukk: Armour plates, rokkit launcha
Warboss goes in here

Troops: 19 Shootas + Nob (Powerklaw, Bosspole): 2 Big Shootas

Troops: 11 Sluggas + Nob (Big Choppa, Bosspole)
+Trukk: Armour plates

HS: Battlewagon: Kannon, 2 Big Shootas, Armour Plates, Reinforced Ram
Sluggas go in here

3 Troops, whole army mechanised, headcount of 41 infantry, 4 vehicles (and they are protected by the KFF).

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 02:37   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I say scrap the whole thing. Unless you're play a KoS list, low model count Ork List doesn't work. You have too many shinies and gubbinz in there. Get yourself 2 mobs of 20-30 Ork Boyz or 12 Boyz and a Trukk. Both with a Nob with Power Klaw and Bosspole.

Get rid of the Tankbustas, Lootas, Burna Boyz, Warbikerz and Killa Kan. Get your foundation strong first that's your Ork Boyz.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 08:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
I say scrap the whole thing. Unless you're play a KoS list, low model count Ork List doesn't work. You have too many shinies and gubbinz in there. Get yourself 2 mobs of 20-30 Ork Boyz or 12 Boyz and a Trukk. Both with a Nob with Power Klaw and Bosspole.

Get rid of the Tankbustas, Lootas, Burna Boyz, Warbikerz and Killa Kan. Get your foundation strong first that's your Ork Boyz.
Normally, I'd agree with you, but the problem is that apparently he is starting off with an AoBR-set and an Ork Spearhead. He should get at least SOME enjoyment out of those sets...

Cheers,
-Bone
Old 26 Feb 2009, 08:53   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai

Normally, I'd agree with you, but the problem is that apparently he is starting off with an AoBR-set and an Ork Spearhead. He should get at least SOME enjoyment out of those sets...

Cheers,
-Bone
Spearhead or Battleforce?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 09:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Looking at the models (Tank Bustas, Lootas), I'd suppose Spearhead.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 10:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmech
***my TAU army****
Let the chewing through begin - again!
Quote:
Roughly 1550 point army with all vehicles upgraded.

First of: Again, format, format, format.
1 HQ Shaso commander ABFP, PR or MP, HWtl, hwmt, hwdc with 2 shield drones
Why the Target Lock?
Quote:
1 XV8 suit- hwtl, mp or pr, burst cannon
I'm a big fan of the Twin-Linked options - TL MP, TL PR, and so on. Especially TL MP with TA is my all-time favorite - high rate of fire, extraordinary accuracy. But since you're fielding MLs galore, you can try the MP/BC MT configuration. Just add more Crisis to the unit - you want to get the most out of those Markers!
Quote:
12 pathfinders with ml's (2 teams)

2 df's with smart missles
Format, Format, Format. How do you field the Pathginders? Two teams of six? One team of eight, one of 4?
Apart from that, I'*m not sure if that amount of Markers is necessary - but then again, somde redundancy might be alright, so no problem there.
I'd suggest Multitrackers on the vehicle, though (or whatever lets them fire as a fast vehicle). Maybe throw in a TA, as well. But a Decoy Launcher is a MUST!
Quote:
16 firewarriors with pulse rifles (2 teams)
Again, how are they distributed? That's not an army list, that's a list of models you have ("Format, Format, Format" ). You might want to up that count, to get more scoring models.
Quote:
2 broadsides with advanced stabilization
Nice, solid choice, but not really necessary against Orks, unless they tend to bring Battlewagons.
Quote:
2 hammerheads with railgun

vehicle upgrades:
2 seekers
multitracker
target lock
disruption pod
fletchette launcher
targeting array
Seekers are... a no no. Too expensive. The rest is good.
Quote:
Wishlist:
2 teams of 20 kroot and 10 kroot hounds (especially after reading the informative thread on them here on the forums)
4 additional pathfinders with rail rifles (2 per team)
4 more firewarriors per team
5 more battlesuits (possibly)
Yes, Kroot are awesome. Defintely get some of them. I wouldn't field Rail Rifles, let the Pathfinders focus on what they're good at - Markerlighting.
More Crisis are always a no-brainer "yes"; but also Stealth Suits are an asset against Orks - with ML-support, they mow down Orks like there's no tomorrow.

Again, my suggestion would be that you limit yourself to 1.000 point games at first, to get a hang of the system

A 1K Tau army could look like this:

HQ: Shas'O with AFP, MP, DC (2 Shield Drones), HWMT 142

ELITE: Crisis Suit: MP/BC, MT 50

TROOPS: 8 Firewarriors (Team A) 80

TROOPS: 8 Firewarriors (Team B) 80
in Devilfish: DP, TA, SMS, MT 120

TROOPS: 16 Kroot, 7 Kroot Hound 154

FA: 6 Pathfinders 72
in Devilfish: Decoy Launchers, TA, SMS, MT 120
The Devilfish is either sued for the Pathfinders, or commandeered by the Firewarriors Team A

HS: Hammerhead: Railgun, BCs, TA, MT, DL, BSF, DP 180

998 points total

All you need is add a unit of Kroot (16 Kroot = a single boxed set; you can use Chaos Dogs as Kroot Hounds). That's a quite good army, though it lacks Crisis Suits, imo.

Cheers,
-Bone
Old 26 Feb 2009, 20:29   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thansk for everyones inputs so far. I do appreciate them.

Yes we started witht he AoBR set. I decided I wanted something different than space marines (I wonder about that choice after getting my Tau army hammered by them recently, but I wanted something different something manuverable and long range) I sold the space marines, and my wife decided she would keep the orks. She wanted the flashy stuff, even though I told her that her army needed numbers. She wanted the flashy stuff first then bulk it up (I know exactly backwards and she wonders why I mop her up)

I got looking and 2 10 ork boys sets cost about $50 Seems like it would be better to buy AOBR sets for $60 and increase her nobs and coptas too. For $120 we get 2 more squads of 20 boys and make a 10 nob horde and a 5 (or so) and increase her coptas to max or run 2 squads. I could then start a space marine squad on the side or sell them again. (I am more interested in eldar but thats for next year after I bulk up my tau to give me more options)

After feedback from everyone I have a better understanding fo how assaults on vehicles work so she doesn't get stomped by not being able to kill the firepower. I'll have to keep the vehicles moving at least 6 inches preferably 12.

Seeing the battlewagons made me want to get them for her army. So now we have a decent size shopping list now.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions :-)

S.M.
Shadowmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2009, 03:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would suggest getting another AOBR set and a box of nobs. The nobs box has a ton, and I mean a ton, of great bitz to use and the box isn't that expensive.

Get your wife into converting too, because that's where ork players can save tons of money. There are a few tutorials in the stickies for some of the conversions you can make. Here are the units you can make just from the AOBR box, using some imagination, glue, some bitz, and a knife:

From boyz: tankbustas, lootas, kommandos, burnas, and stormboyz

From nobz: Old Zogwort, Big Mek, Weirdboy, flash gitz, Snikrot

From warboss: Mad Dok Grotsnik,

From deffkoptas: bikers, nob bikers, warbuggies

From terminators/orks: Ghazghkull Thraka or a mega armored warboss, meganobz (there is an awsome conversion on the Waaagh forums with a tutorial on how to do it).

scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote