Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Going back to green...1850 points
Old 13 Feb 2009, 17:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Going back to green...1850 points

Since I can't seem to sell or trade my Orks, I suppose Gork (or possibly Mork) is telling me not to quit them. Don't get me wrong, I love these guys. But I have so much to paint already. Still, I'm going to try as my army is about 40% painted.

So I'm working on a list and I'd like some feedback. I want something that is competitve but not overpowered. I also want to try to use up my bitz and avoid buying more than I have to. My plan is to pick up 2 x Boxes of Bikez, 1 x Box of Kommandos, Snikrot & 2 Kommandos with Flamers. From there, I'd like to field the following:

Warboss 155 points
Warbike, Cybork Body, Power Klaw, Attack Squig, Bosspole.

Nobz 360 points
Warbikes & Cybork Bodies. 1 Painboy with Orderly & Waaagh Banner. 2 with Power Klaws. 2 with Uge Choppas.

Kommandos 255 points
Snikrot. 14 Kommandos with 2 Burnas.

2 Slugga Boy Mobz (Black & Tan) 220 points each
Nob with Bosspole & Power Klaw. 29 Slugga Boyz.

Slugga Boyz Mob (Red) 170 points
Nob with Bosspole & Power Klaw. 19 Slugga Boyz with 2 Big Shootas.

Shoota Boyz (Yellow) 225 points
Nob with Bosspole. 29 Shoota Boyz with 3 Rokkits.

2 Deffkoptas 55 points each
Deffkopta with Kustom Mega Blasta & Big Bomm

Battlewagon 130 points
Deffrolla, Red Paint Job, Grot Riggers, Armor Plates.

[hr]
I've strayed a little away from my themed list of loads of Kommandos & footsloggers for a more well rounded (in my opinion) list. This is typical hammer & anvil tactics. The Warboss, Nobz, Battlewagon (with Red Mob) and Deffkoptas will move forward to engage the enemy early. The 90 boys in mobz will form the blunt end of the trap. Snikrot & his lads will, of course, ambush isolated enemy units near board edges and, hopefully, take them down.

My biggest concerns are as follows:

1) Is the Warbiker Nob & Boss unit overpowered? I know units of 10 are off the charts...but I figured a unit of 5(6) would be decently potent but not impossible to kill.

2) Should I take the unit of boyz in the Battlewagon to Ard Boyz? Against lots of foes, I think it would be decent. But having to pay another 80 points for the unit seems a little pricy to me.

3) Deffkoptas. I've never used them. The Buzzsaw sounds like a pretty cool toy. But I haven't seen any in lists. So I decided to go shooty. Is that the right course? And I'm not sure about the whole 2 units thing.

4) Kommandos...wow for eggs in one basket. But is anyone else running this unit? I really like the notion of 6 S4 power weapon attacks on the charge plus 6 S6* attack on the charge in addition to the rest of the unit.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2009, 01:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Going back to green...1850 points

I thought I just read a thread of yours that said you were giving up on the orks....guess the gods do have pull over you. Now to answer your questions:

1. I think the unit is fine, and I plan on doing one that is very similar once I build them.

2. I think upgrading 20 boyz is a little too costly. I run my ard boyz in a trukk, and I think that they still have the punch and staying power I want, and are a little more economical. Plus if you add 80 points to that unit everything will shoot at them, unless that's what you want.

3. I've had great results with the rokkitkoptas, but have yet to try KMBkoptas. I've also never used the KMB on any platform so I can't help you there either. I know just having koptas will keep the pressure off your boyz.

4. I run this unit every chance I get, but only have 10 total models not 15. The turn he shows up you hope Snikrot and his kommandos do some massive damage because they have no staying power. I think such a large unit doesn't make them more combat effective, but a larger liability. I mainly use him to take out vehicles and gun emplacements, so for that you really don't need the other five kommandos. Spend the points elsewhere.

extra credit: I would suggest not buying Snikrot and the kommandos, unless you love the models, and just convert AOBR boyz/nobz instead. You'd save a bunch of money and would have unique models as well. I think the list should do fine though as is.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2009, 01:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
I thought I just read a thread of yours that said you were giving up on the orks....guess the gods do have pull over you. Now to answer your questions:
Yeah, I never really wanted to quit Orks, I just wanted to trade for models for my sons. But since that's not really happening, I'm going to finish up my Ork force after my Eldar are done. Yes, I'm fickle. :P

1) Thanks, I'm looking forward to running / converting them.

2) That was sort of what I was thinking too. To me, the Ard Boy save really isn't that stellar for the price...especially since I can field 13 boyz for that price.

3) Hmmm, Rokkitkoptas were sort of my second choice. But I really like the ability to drop an ordinance while turbo-boosting.

4) :-\ But I like my unit of 15. :P Okay, I'll try it both ways. That extra 50 points could be helpful elsewhere...especially moving to 2k points.

Quote:
extra credit: I would suggest not buying Snikrot and the kommandos, unless you love the models, and just convert AOBR boyz/nobz instead. You'd save a bunch of money and would have unique models as well. I think the list should do fine though as is.
Thanks. But a) I really like the Snikrot character and b) I have all but 5 of the Kommandos anyway. But I did do 30 Kommando conversions for my regular Slugga Boyz to fit with my fluff.

Thanks for the input!
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2009, 04:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to The_One

Here i'll help where I can (in order of your concerns)

1) Actually no it isn't overpowered. You have a good set-up there that will hit HARD when it reaches enemy lines. I'd recommend taking the BP off the boss and putting it in the Nob biker squad otherwise he can be picked out as an IC (I think so at least :). I'd recommend putting the Nobz as Troops so they can at least score.

2) As Scoutfox said I wouldn't upgrade them.

3) Deffkoptas are awesome. I've never used a KMBkopta either only because of the Gets Hot! rule. Why risk it when Rokkit Launchas can do the same thing (the only difference being AP)? I'd drop the Bigbomm (haha, play on words), but seriously I don't recommend it only because it's a hit-or-miss thing (AHHH! Again with the puns).

4) I'd take Rokkit's over Burnas ONLY because when you move in on their side of the board you wanna be able to hurt those pesky tanks in the side or rear armour.

Hope that helped, aside from all my bad puns :P
The_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2009, 14:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I second the motion to remove the bp from the boss and add it to a nob instead.

I will disagree with taking rokkits over burnas on the kommandos though. When I take Snikrot it is so he can assault units, and having the power weapon attack is crucial to that. If I wanted to pop tank with shooting, I'd take minimal sized squads with two rokkits. If you have rokkits with Snikrot and they blow up a tank in the shooting phase, there is no one to charge unless it was a dedicated transport.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2009, 19:34   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sorry dont mean to hijack this thread but i see lots of Snikrot lovers posting here. My question is how effective do you guys find him? I actually think he is way over priced as i could get 10 more kommandos in the squad for his price, but I really love that Ambush rule and would probably be the only reason I would take him. Does he justify his cost to you?
As for the Deffkoptas taking buzzsaws, I think they can be useful, but they are the same price as putting a PK on a nob and you get 1 less strength and 1 less attack. However if they are soloey for tank hunting they can be very useful cause you can fly up and fire your strength 8 weapon at it, then charge and get 3 more strengh 8 attacks. If you are going to use this combo the twin linked rockit launcha would be much better though for 5 points.
skybronco is offline   Reply With Quote