Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My first 40k army - 1500pt Ork list
Old 06 Feb 2009, 03:36   #1 (permalink)
RoninRenka

Default My first 40k army - 1500pt Ork list

Hey all, after having looked through your Ork library and reading the discussions on Ork taktiks, I have finally come up with my first army list for my first 40k army. As a general bit of background, I've only picked up the Assault on Blackreach set thus far, and the Ork Codex, with intentions of buying two Ork Battleforces. With this core in mind, I've based my army list around it.
As a theme, Im going for a hybrid footsloggers and KoS list, consisting of Goffs and Blood Axes.

HQ

- Ork Warboss
PK, shoota, cybork body, bosspole - 100pt

Elites

- Snikrot's Kommandos
Snikrot + 7 Kommandos, 2x burnas - 185pt

- Lootas
4 Lootas, 1 Mekboy with kustom mega-blaster - 75pt

- Tankbustas
5 Tankbustas, 1x tankhammer, 2x bomb squigs, Nob with bosspole - 100pt

Troops

- Ork Nobz (Warboss' bodyguards)
5 Nobz, slugga and choppa, 'eavy armour - 125pt

- Slugga Boyz Mob
20 Boyz, slugga and choppa, Nob with 'uge choppa and bosspole - 140pt

- Shoota Boyz Mob
20 Boyz, shootas, 1x big shoota, Nob with PK and bosspole - 165pt

- Shoota Boyz Mob
20 Boyz, shootas, 1x big shoota, Nob with PK and bosspole - 165pt

- Gretchin Mob
10 Grotz with Runtherd - 40pt

- Wartrukk x2
2 Trukks, big shoota, reinforced ram - 80pt

Fast Attack

- Warbikers Mob
6 Warbikers, Ork Nob with PK and bosspole - 190pt

- Deffkoptas
3 Deffkoptas, twin-linked rokkit launcha - 135pt

Point Total - 1500pt

Main idea is the hammer (Warboss and Nobz in Trukk and Warbikers) and anvil (Boyz Horde) taktik, with Gretchin for objective holding, Deffkoptas and Snikrot's boyz to do some harrassing and the Lootas and Tankbustas (who will be riding in a trukk) will provide fire support. As stated before, I've based this force around myself using what came in the AoBR set, and 2 Ork Battleforces, with the Elites being chosen because frankly, I really like the models (especially Snikrot's) and thought it'd be a shame not to use them.

As I said, this is my first army list ever, and I'd really appreciate some constructive critique to help smooth it out (particularly whether or not Ive added up the points and wargears correctly, etc). Cheers.
Old 06 Feb 2009, 04:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: My first 40k army - 1500pt Ork list

Considering what you're working with for models, I'd say you should do well. It's a solid list. You have a few small units, which I tend to recommend against in a list this size, but seeing as you have a lot of units as a whole, and a lot of units at good sizes, I think the smaller units should do well and be overlooked by your opponent.
Old 08 Feb 2009, 22:07   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Damn, I had to re-register so as to not post as a Guest... >.>;

Thanks for your response Thor. Been currently working on my models at the moment (about to paint my Warboss from the set, thinking camo pants with Goff's checks to represent the might of the two combined clans) but I been reading through a bit more of the forum on other units and tactics.

My main concern is I dont have anything filled out in the Heavy Support part of my list. Should I lose out on something in my Elites or Fast Attack to fit something in? Regardless I'll probably pick up an Ork Battlewagon in the distant future. Though things look badass =)

Cheers
RoninRenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2009, 23:27   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The 'feel' of your army is right, but you're splitting yourself too thin between units. Remember "Big is beutiful" expecially for Orks.

-HQ
Warboss, standard kit out, I'm assuming it's the AOBR model? Snap the end off a flamer and glue it on your boss as Kombi-skorchas give the Orks a much needed 'first strike' when assualting.

-Elites
Good size Komando unit with good load-out. Looks good.

You can't put more than one unit in a transports (sucks don't it?) so the Loota/Busta combo won't work I'm afraid. Have a re-think on that one, but like what you're doing. Remember if the Trukk moves, the Lootas can't fire.

- Troops
Standard Nob/Boss trukk assualt. All good, Put the pole on a Nob though as he won't be an independant character therefore not targeted separately and lose the pole.

I've played a couple of battles with 20 shoota units now and am convinced that 30-strong units are the way to go. Keeping the boys fearless is the key to success. They suck up more punishment that way and spit it out in bucket-loads too.

- Fast Units:
The usual trick with Kopters is to field them as single model units or groups of 5. This is because their LD really stinks so any LD checks (expecially CC) and you can wave goodbye to them! For your list I would favour the two single model units.

Spend the spare points from above on increasing the biker size (unit of 9 would be good) as the size is a bit on the small side.
Welshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2009, 23:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Its a good start, but there are a couple things I would change, and some you have to. You can't take those two trukks. Only the nobs have to option to get the dedicated transport. The boyz mobz are too large, and grots can't have them.

I agree with Thor that 5 lootas aren't worth having. At first I tried 7 just to give them a go, and you really need ten or more for them to do anything worth while. With ork BS you need numbers of shots to make up for their lack of aiming. Have 5 shots, means only one might hit. The mek is, in my opinion, a worthless upgrade for the lootas too. Just take a fifth loota. The KMB has a different range, and doesn't gel with the deffgun. You can easily convert the mek model to become another loota too.

If you want to try some heavy options you'd have 120 points by getting rid of the lootas, and the illegal trukk. You could try out some gunz, a boomwagon(though 2 is better), or kans/dreads. All are good options. You can also use some heavies and then increase the boyz squad size as well.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2009, 00:39   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Once again thanks for your responses. I appreciate the help in creating my first army and I wanna get it just right ^^

Welshy: Sorry, I dont think I made it clear, I meant that the Tankbustas would be using the Trukk, not the Lootas and Bustas together. Thought considering what Scoutfox said, I might leave them out altogether (for now).

Scoutfox: Sorry, didnt realise the second Trukk wouldnt be allowed. I was under the impression that if a Trukk isnt being taken as a dedicated transport (which it is in the case of the Nobz as you pointed out), then you could take it under the Troops choice in the force organisation chart. Guess I'll have a look through the Codex again.

I will revisit my draft and muck around with it a little more. Maybe I could fit in a Battlewagon in there as transport for my 20 Slugga Boyz?

Once again, cheers.
RoninRenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2009, 00:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

You can only ever take trukks as dedicated transports. With the 120 points left over after getting rid of the lootas, you could easily get a battlewagon.

Battlewagon deffrolla, big shoota, red paint = 120

scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2009, 02:10   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
Battlewagon deffrolla, big shoota, red paint = 120
Ded smashy and carries 20 angry boys! >
Welshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2009, 15:16   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Why is it that you can only take trukkz as a dedicated transport? I dont have my codex on me, but i know they are under the troops section so i thought you could just take a trukk as one of your troop force organization spots.
skybronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2009, 15:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

They are listed in the Troops area, however they are titled "Dedicated Transport Vehicles", which is the first clue to their use. It then explains their use which reiterates that they are dedicated transport vehicles.