Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Destroyer Lord: Good or Bad?
Old 19 Apr 2010, 19:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to demitriusnassy
Default Destroyer Lord: Good or Bad?

In my preperation for the upcoming tournaments in May, I have run into many people advertising the Destroyer Lord. Now, I have only ever used this unit once, and it was extremely effective during that single game, but that is not enough for me to deem it worthy of tournament play. I would like to ask my fellow C'tan and Necron Lords to give me some information on this unit; tactics, builds, and how it has worked in some of your games.

My list is being swayed by opinions all over the internet for all sorts of units and builds, so join in! ;D

Thanks!

-demitriusnassy-

"You dare stand against the might of the millenia and the number of the dead?"

"..." zap. "..."
demitriusnassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2010, 19:48   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Destroyer Lord: Good or Bad?

The times I've used a DLord he's always been stuck in with a retinue until I could throw him into CC. A gaze of flame and a chronometron can make for easy sweeps of non-combat squads. The T6 also helps a lot in keeping him alive in combat. This build shouldn't be sent after anything with power weapons though, so be careful unless you add in a ResOrb or phase shifter. Give it a warscythe and you can also do some decent tank hunting and be even better at holding up dedicated CC squads.

Just make sure that a DLord fits with the rest of your list by either matching its theme or by providing support in an area it lacks.
Zeeblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2010, 20:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Definitely. When I used it, I threw him into a squad of scarabs with d-fields. He had a warscythe, gaze of flame, d-body(duh), phase shifter, phylactery, and chronometron. The scarabs themselves proved useful by destroying two and a half tanks, and the lord himself managed to stand back up twice with FULL wounds because of Phylactery. My buddy was reall ticked that he couldn't keep him down, so he tied me up with a massive unit that I couldn't beat for the rest of the game. They were too weak to hurt my toughness 6 lord, but there were too many for me to force away. :huh:

I figure he should be given a wall, with at least two minimum units of destroyers and a full unit of heavies and used them as a seperate force entirely, operating away from the main body of my phalanx. Would this work? If not, what if included a unit of Wraiths also to put with the DLord as sort of a retinue?

"..." zap. "..."
Old 19 Apr 2010, 20:26   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Destroyers work as a retinue as long as your assault focused DLord splits off from them once they're close enough to the enemy, but you'll want to watch out for assaults against your destroyers. Wraiths would work as CC support, so it all depends on what you want to use the unit for.
Zeeblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2010, 20:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Alrighty then Thanks

-Storm-

"..." zap. "..."
Old 19 Apr 2010, 20:45   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

My advice is to make your force and then tailor your Lord to complement it. A D-Lord pairs REALLY well with wraiths and Scarabs, and ok with Destroyers. D-Lord with Scythe works great at tackling enemy armor but MCs will tear him a new one. So be careful with him. Nonetheless, I would say build your list and then customize your Lord as opposed to building your Lord and customizing your list around him.

PS - sorry if this is kinda choppy, I just finished a couple pints at the pub and am a little tipsy
Papa_Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2010, 22:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

From my experiences Scarabs are the best unit to pair a D-Lord with. I suppose wraiths could work as well however theres a greater risk involved. The reason why scarabs are used is to give 30, 2+ cover save wounds to the lord while he turbo boosts into position. Wraiths unfortunately only have 1 wound each, even with the invulnerable save i just don't think they cut it. The scarabs also make the Lord Fearless which is great vs shooting attacks. On top of that D-field scarabs on their own are great tar pits and tank killers and best of all are pretty cheap.

Just to note if you are about to charge a unit with low Strength make sure you detach the Lord from the scarabs in the movement phase. In most cases you're better with toughness 6 and just the Lord than with majority toughness being a 3 with the scarabs once he's entered CC vs a low strength target. Once detached the scarabs can assault a nearby unit that will attempt to fire on the lord once he's won combat or glance a tank for the same reason.

Also one more "trick" with this unit is that they can easily surround light transports like razorback and rhinos, due to their high numbers, big bases, and speed. Add that to the fact that this unit is great at busting open low arm vehicles and you have a deadly combo. If you get the vehicle surrounded and block the access points when you pop it the unit inside that was being transported gets destroyed since they are unable to legally emergency disembark.

-Farseer Maechu of Ulthwe
loeldrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2010, 00:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hmmm. Definitely agree with the Scarabs rulings there, they are an excelent unit to have. By themselves, they can be lacking but as a shield for the Dlord, they are devestating even if only a buffer.

Speaking of surrounding a unit, during one of the games I fielded scarabs, I used them to block the escape rout of a unit in combat with my Immortals, but didn't charge. I formed a line across the board maybe 3 inches from the unit and waited till my Immortals broke them. When they broke, my opponent rolled for the fall back move and started placing his models on the other side of my scarabs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that unit have been destroyed because it had nowhere to flee?

"..." zap. "..."
Old 20 Apr 2010, 00:37   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yes, that unit would have been destroyed if it had no where to go. Check out the diagrams on pg 45 of the big rule book, it explains it in greater detail.

But you don't actually have to detach the Lord from the unit of Scarabs because of the rules for attacking an Independent Character. Pg 49 essentially says that an IC gets treated as a completely separate unit in an assault, and so only models in base contact with him (or within 2") may attack him, and they roll against his WS, T, and any applicable saves. The Scarabs provide a shield against shooting, no other benefits or detriments.
Papa_Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2010, 01:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I knew he should have been destroyed...

Anyways, I knows about not having to detach the Lord, as a matter of fact, I would always try to keep any HQ wih the exception of maybe Kharn the Betrayer in a unit simply to have strength in numbers.

"..." zap. "..."