Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Questions for Nightmare Shroud and Deepstriking the Monolith
Old 17 Apr 2010, 03:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Questions for Nightmare Shroud and Deepstriking the Monolith

A couple of questions arose during my last game that we were unable to find a clear answer for.
1. If the monolith deepstrikes, can I purposefully land it inside an enemy unit to , for example, force them off an objective? Or may the monolith only land on top of the enemy via scatter?
2. If the Lord is in a unit of pariahs and wants to use his Nightmare Shroud does this mean the pariahs may not shoot that turn?

Thanks!
Daeghrefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 04:32   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Questions for Nightmare Shroud and Deepstriking the Monolith

1) I'll let someone well versed in deep striking rules tackle that one (if there is a good answer now, I know it's been heavily debated).

2) The wording for the use of the Shroud just mentions "a weapon" instead of a whole unit of weapons, so I think it just means the Lord can't fire his staff of light if he uses it, but any unit he's attached to is unaffected and can fire as per normal.
Zeeblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 04:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

For the first, im sure the BOB says somewhere that you cannot put a model on top on an ememy unit when deepstriking.

The monolith simply lets you land safely should you deepstrike onto a unit that would normally damage, or destroy you.

Somewhat like a Drop Pod.

I dont know about the second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 11:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

1st one is answered fair enough I guess. The 2nd question is, according to me, quite easy to answer. You should consider the shroud as a shooting weapon. So that means, that if the lord 'fires' his shroud at a unit, the whole squad he's attached to must fire at that unit too. Normal shooting rules.
Sjoerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 11:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

1. You may never deepstrike onto a unit, as it is illegal to place a model within 1" of enemy models. You may only scatter onto the enemy.

2. Nightmare shroud is a shooting weapon, but has no target (area of affect). it can be used, and the pariahs are still free to do what ever they'd like. Even shoot units outside the shrouds affect, as you have yet to fire at any specific enemy unit.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 15:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindgobble Witherfume

2. Nightmare shroud is a shooting weapon, but has no target (area of affect). it can be used, and the pariahs are still free to do what ever they'd like. Even shoot units outside the shrouds affect, as you have yet to fire at any specific enemy unit.
hmm yeah should've checked my codex but don't know where it is at the moment thanks for correcting me
Sjoerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 16:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

The Deep Strike on a Monolith has been very heavily debated. A similar situation is that of the Mawloc. Personally, I agree with Adepticon's interpretation - you declare a DS wherever the hell you want. It's only once the model has actually landed on the table (after scatter rolls are made) that you check for Mishap.

Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 16:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you may never declare a DS on top of a unit, then how is the Mawloc able to do so? It's entry reads in a very similar way to that of the monolith. Perhaps people are just using it incorrectly? This is part of the reason I was wondering about the Monolith.

I was under the impression that you could DS on top of a unit, but most people did not because it would normally be a mishap. Thanks for the clarification
Old 17 Apr 2010, 16:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

The argument is that you're not allowed to DS the Mawloc on top of units. Which I think is extremely far from the intention and makes the Mawloc even more of a paperweight than it already is. And yes, the Mawloc and Monolith share very similar wording, so, hopefully, when the Nids finally get an FAQ it will clear up the Monolith issue by extension.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 17:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hopefully that will happen before the end of May... I have a tournament to head to and it would be nice to get some clarification on that before hand. Thanks for the input all!