Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Necrons
Old 31 Mar 2010, 22:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Starting Necrons

So Im considering starting Necrons and I was wondering what exactly I should buy. I Need a Necron Lord w/ Res Orb for sure and then I was thinking of getting two battleforces and a Monolith to begin with and then getting another monolith and battleforce or two in a few months and have a little more money. And how would I go about converting Destroyers into Heavy Destroyers?
Don't you know? Marines have the And They Shall Follow No Rules special rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Ashtoruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2010, 22:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to greatmaju
Default Re: Starting Necrons

Necron warriors. With Phase Out, you need a lot of Necrons. You can convert these into Immortals and Flayed Ones, so you don't need to spend £16 on 4 models for them.

As for what you need. Ya. Warriors. As they are your troop choice, they are normally core. Destroyers are very powerful, as they can move and fire. Heavy destroyers are good anti-tanks, and more mobile then tanks.

Wraiths; good close combat, but they don't last long.

Tomb spyders; They are very strong and tough, very good to increase your Necrons WBB radius. They will kill at least 1 MEQ a turn. And they create scarabs.

Scarabs; They can tie down other units as they are fast, and have 3 wounds.

Pariahs; they are very killy in CC. They ignore armour saves. And Inv. And they have Gauss blasters. They are also good Vs Psykers. But they don't count as Necrons, so no WWB.

Immortals. Very powerful. They have an Assault 2 weapon, thats better then the warriors. And they are slightly tougher.

Flayed ones; They have some good rules, and can do good in CC.

As for converting Detroyers; You can buy a Heavy Destroyer. They are basically the same, but you get the Heavy Gauss cannon as well, so more bitz. But other then that, I don't know.

*Note: may not be fun. contact your Apothecary before visiting.

Armies:
  • 6800 Pnts Templar Guardians (SM)
  • 1500 Pnts Necrons Deathguard.
  • 1000 Pnts Ork SKulGratz
  • ??? Imperial Guard/Inquisition.
greatmaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2010, 22:48   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Your plan sounds pretty decent so far. I know there is at least one guide on converting destroyers out there. A quick google search should prove fruitful (don't have the time to do it myself right now).

I'm not sure I agree that you need to go out and purchase crap tons of warriors; especially since buying multiple battleforces will give you enough/more than you need. I'd say just buy the core stuff (lord, battleforces, and lith) and see how you like them. From there analyze your playstyle to determine what you want/need to improve your army according to your playstyle. Read up on the tacticas to get an idea of what might work for you.

Good luck!
Zeeblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2010, 23:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeblee
Your plan sounds pretty decent so far. I know there is at least one guide on converting destroyers out there. A quick google search should prove fruitful (don't have the time to do it myself right now).

I'm not sure I agree that you need to go out and purchase klkn tons of warriors; especially since buying multiple battleforces will give you enough/more than you need. I'd say just buy the core stuff (lord, battleforces, and lith) and see how you like them. From there analyze your playstyle to determine what you want/need to improve your army according to your playstyle. Read up on the tacticas to get an idea of what might work for you.

Good luck!
Thanks, Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything really Obvious, but are Tomb Spyders really any good (AKA does anyone use them much)? But aside from that I'm pretty sure I can convert almost anything I want out of a Destroyer or a Warrior fairly easily, just need to look for a few guides to see if anyone has any really good/easy ideas But I was thinking for an army That Id want
Lord With Rez orb (Destroyer lord any good?)
Squad or Two of Destroyers
1-2 Monoliths
Squad of Heavy Destoryers
Possibly a squad of 1-3 tomb spyders (1 monolith if i did this)
And and left over points for Warriors
Possibly some Scarab swarms
But I don't have any Idea on the point costs so That may or may not change when i get a hold of a codex

But Battleforces seem to be the only way to go... I mean its 90$ and you get what $170ish worth of stuff? Might as well just buy that and have extra bitz if nothing else
Quote:
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Old 31 Mar 2010, 23:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I highly recommend getting the Tomb Spiders. They are great support units for Destroyers (lets you split your forces up) and they are still monstrous creatures (with ablative wounds) so can fight in close combat in a pinch. Not the best fighters, but they are quite tough (with the scarab swarm they can create), and their high toughness.

For heavy destroyers, I would recommend getting two smaller squads, rather then one larger one. Better ability to split fire, and can help keep them both alive longer due to WBB.

I find that with any Necron unit, if you want it to do well you need multiples of it. For many units in the book, two (or more) smaller units often are better then one larger unit. This is mostly due to the benefits of WBB letting a dead squad rejoin the still living squad (amplified with spiders). Obviously, this is not always practical (or legal) to have doubles of all things, but I find that works the best. if you want to have an army centered around the Monolith, get two. Instead of one large immortal squad, get two smaller ones. Etc.. However, if the multiple squads are also high in number (two eight man immortal squads, instead of two five man), they get a lot better.

Heavy Destroyers are the only reliable way to fully damage vehciles. And are nessissary to stop transports. Glancing is great, but getting the immobilized result is not always possible. Many armies have ways to avoid being stunned.
[hr]

If you look at my battle reports (can be seen from my army lists thing on my profile) you can see that I use tomb spiders quite alot, and they rather do quite well for me. You really need to use at least two to get the most out of them however.

Destroyer lords are fantastic due to the high toughness alone. They don't need to actually move all that fast to be honest, and the speed is a good way to get them killed. It is good to get a res-orb where you need it quick, but I recommend not sending him on suicide missions. Great to stack S10 wounds onto.

You can find guides to convert most things from the battle force models online fairly easily. I've seen most things converted from the standard plastic kits. However, I like the models necrons have, and love pewter, so I bought most of my models as is. Only converted things I felt like converting.

Battleforces are the way to go for sure. Two battle forces and a lord is a great start for an army. Plus an epic saving.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2010, 00:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Now everyone will give you their take o0n Necrons. I personally will not play them at anything under 1500 points. I believe they have a few strong builds. By far my favorite at 1500 is Deceiver, squad of Immortals, 2 squads of Warriors and nine Destroyers. The key though is the lone Monolith that holds the center of the board. I always start my warriors in reserve and I do not use a lord or a res orb in my lists. Seems a little strange for a beginner usually but really its not. The Deceiver/Monolith combo in my mind is the best Necrons have to offer. I'm quite happy glancing vehicles, btw. I'm not a fan of heavy destroyers - I've always had them killed before they made their points back.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt though. This is the internet. Experiment.
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2010, 00:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Okay after much searching on the internet I still can't find a guide on converting Necron Destroyers into Heavy Destroyers, I've found about 10 on converting Immortals and Flayed Ones, But nothing on Destroyers... Anyone have any Ideas or know where a guide is?
Quote:
Old 01 Apr 2010, 01:55   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It doesn't have the heavy destroyer, but it has ways to make most everything else out of the box:

http://www.thecsg.co.uk/csg/index.php?topic=7425.0

This one doesn't exactly have a how-to, but it has pictures of a converted heavy D:

http://www.thecsg.co.uk/csg/index.ph...5&topic=7639.0

I hope those help at least a little bit.
Zeeblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2010, 03:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes those do
Quote: