Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Res Orbs; help or hinderance?
Old 28 Mar 2010, 21:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Res Orbs; help or hinderance?

Most necron armies seem to have a res orb in them, however I play necrons and I never use them and I don't seem to have a problem. I actual think that they make the army worse because it makes you clump your units together in the standard phalanx formation; which is rather boring.
Am I the only one who thinks this?
Old 28 Mar 2010, 22:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Res Orbs; help or hinderance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngir
Most necron armies seem to have a res orb in them, however I play necrons and I never use them and I don't seem to have a problem. I actual think that they make the army worse because it makes you clump your units together in the standard phalanx formation; which is rather boring.
Am I the only one who thinks this?
Yeah but you are aware that if ou do not use the Res Obs you can only roll for WWB if you have a unit of the smae type within 6"?

The Res Orb, allow you to bypass that IIRC. So it,s really effective.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2010, 22:33   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

You don't actually; WWB effects the model, not the unit as a whole. you only need to have a model of the same type within 6" ( or a tomb spyder within 12) which isn't going to be a problem unless your whole squad was killed or you fall back(by which time they have usually all been killed by a sweeping advance)
Old 28 Mar 2010, 22:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I too am another cron player who doesn't really use res orbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
Yeah but you are aware that if you do not use the Res Obs you can only roll for WWB if you have a unit of the smae type within 6"?
It only stops double toughness negating WBB, tombspyders help the 6" thing.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 02:35   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So far in my limited experience the best I've ever done in a game was one in which I did not take a ResOrb. However, that was also the game in which I could have benefited from it the most.

Since the RO only stops the effect of double toughness and power weapons and we most likely won't even survive one round of combat thanks to sweeping advance the RO only actually helps against high strength gunfire, namely ordnance. So the RO will do wonders against an ordnance heavy Imp Guard army or any other army that can put out a large number of high strength shooting attacks, but against everything else it won't have much effect. I do think it would be useful on a destroyer lord supported wraith wing, but that's only because they have high enough initiative to not be wiped out by sweeping advance.

Another place the RO would be useful is with destroyers and heavy destroyers since their unit sizes are small enough that just a few high strength shots could reek havoc, so a RO could help preserve those numbers.

Though I do agree that I often find myself doing a phalanx anyway, just so that I can get within WBB distance. This is why I'm considering investing in one or two more spiders.
Zeeblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2010, 21:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to greatmaju

I always take a Res orb. There isn't much other useful equipment for the Lord.

But the ability to WBB against instant death and weapons like power swords is great! It adds more durability into the Necrons, which is only a good thing.

Also, I'm sure the Res Orb lets to take WBB against any weapon that ignore armour saves, like Rendering, not just power weapons.

And yes, if you have a Tomb Spyder within of 12" of the model that needs WBB, and another unit on the table, then the unit needing WBB get it! And they are good in close combat. Always kills 1-2 MEQs.

*Note: may not be fun. contact your Apothecary before visiting.

Armies:
  • 6800 Pnts Templar Guardians (SM)
  • 1500 Pnts Necrons Deathguard.
  • 1000 Pnts Ork SKulGratz
  • ??? Imperial Guard/Inquisition.
greatmaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2010, 06:58   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sorry to effectively just bumping a thread, but I think this is a really interesting topic for our army since many would say the ResOrb is a necessary piece of wargear in near every Necron army.

What have you guys found in practice, and what do you think of its utility in theory? Should we be dropping the RO in favor of buying more units or more wargear?

This topic honestly got me to actually think of what the RO was doing for me, and is making me think I'd much rather run a warscythe destroyer lord to pick off some weaker squads and tanks. Or maybe instead of the classic ROVoD setup using the nightmare shroud to add an extra dynamic to a teleporting death squad.
Zeeblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2010, 07:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I use the Orb on my Lords, mainly due to the simple fact that without it, if he dies to power weapons I want him to be able to get back up and annoy the crap out of my opponents. I have never found it necessary to use for my warriors, or any other unit. If it gets to the situation where I need it on my warriors, something has gone horribly wrong. Weapons that insta-zaap warriors are not too common, and cover is also quite prevalent. Anything T5 is also quite safe. Close combat is the only place where it's needed, and I don't really want a lot of my units there anyway. Getting back up at that point is only going to delay the inevitable, if I am really suffering that many power weapon wounds in melee.

I find for WBB purposes, Tomb Spiders are a much better investment. Adds to the range of which models can get back up. Much more important. Especially if you run wraiths, or destroyers.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2010, 08:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't play nids but play witchhunters, tau, and nids, plus guard.

IMO it's very situational and cost what 40-60pts. Against my melta and battle cannon, demo charge, demolisher cannon, and exorcist I'll say the res orb works wonders. Honestly anytime you fight an army with guard elements is where a res orb really becomes an issue

In hth it's not an issue to much due to the fact you're was gonna lose the squad anyway depending on what you're fighting.

Daemons could throw a lot of str 8 and battle cannon shots as well with some marine and choas armies. For the most part I think y'all really don't need it. Tau railguns is few and far between to really warrent a res orb.

I almost forgot dark eldar and the 100 dark lances they could field. So I can see against dark eldar a Rez Orb wouldn't be a bad ideal. So you have Tzeench Daemons, Dark Eldar, Guard, Some witch hunter armies to where the orb would actually come in handy.
Old 02 Apr 2010, 15:40   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I usually run a flying armada of destroyers, and losing just one of those guys is hugely critical. As such, I keep a lord with a destroyer body and a rez orb nearby. He usually has a warscythe too, as his puny 12" shooting is usually worthless and the scythe gives me more options.

My warriors usually just rely on cover to stay alive, but if they all die I don't cry a lot. That means that my opponent spent most of his shooting on the wrong target

My local metagame is against a mechanized IG, nids, GK, Daemons, and Chaos.
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote