Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Considering starting necrons... Whats a good core?
Old 10 Mar 2010, 20:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Considering starting necrons... Whats a good core?

Hey all... As the title says really. The battleforce isn't really an option, i don't like buying in large bulk, i prefer to buy in single squad sizes.

So i think a Lord with a res orb and two large squads of warriors would be a good start. But what do you guys think?
Old 10 Mar 2010, 20:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Considering starting necrons... Whats a good core?

Honestly, everything the battleforce has is things you'll want, for cheaper then buying individually. A core of warriors is great (The battleforce contains more warriors then two normal warrior boxes) and destroyers are among the most dangerous units in the codex. Really, your shooting yourself in the foot by not getting the battleforce, unless you have absolutely no desire to use Destroyers and instead want to spam Wraiths and Scarabs.

Hell, I would almost suggest getting two battleforces.

But yes, two squads of warriors and a lord is ideal. But, when building the army your going to need to think about what sort of force your going to want to play. Necron units work best in pairs (that way when a unit dies, WBB can bring them back still). I also suggest a tomb spider or two to help hold the army together and add some close combat support.

So, you should think about whether you want a phalanx army (Immortals, and warrior heavy). Destroyer Armada (destroyer heavy), or a close combat army (Emphasis on Wraiths and Pariahs). All the armies can be equally effective, and offer very different play styles.

A lord and two warrior squads is nearly 750pts, depending on load out. From there, you can pretty much go in any direction. Getting a unit or two from each Force chart slot is always a good bet. Playing some smaller games first can get you ideas on what you may need to compliment your play style.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 20:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

I agree with Grind about the Battleforce. The Battleforce is the best deal you could possibly get. I actually think that it has the most savings of all the Battleforces.

A large warrior base is always good, as they are the cheapest way to boost your Phase Out (See my Tactica for information about each unit)
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 21:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to greatmaju

Well, the only Necron Lord sold in the shops has the warscythe.

After getting the Lord and Necron warriors, then Destroyers would be a good choice, as they are fast, and have a more dangerous weapon. The Wraith is also a fast unit, but the small squad size means they wont last long, even with WBB.

Immortals are more dangerous, as they can move and fire, have a better Gauss weapon, and are tougher!

Flayed ones are close combats, and have some nice special rules, though Immortals are normally a better choice for a core army.

Pariahs are normally used in larger games, as they are not Necrons, so the don't get WBB, or teleport. But they have a warscythe with a Gauss Blaster, and some good rules for taking on psykers, but they don't last as long.

Heavy Destroyers are generally less used compared to Destroyers, but they have a more powerful Gauss weapon, though they shoot less. I have found them good for killing Terminators, as they are generally small groups, and on foot.

Spyders are monstrous creatures, so you get all of the fun stuff for that. Additionally, whislt they may not be as skilled as a Necron warrior, they have more attacks, and they are stronger and tougher, and generally they will kill 1-2 MEQs. They also help with the WBB, by expanding the area needed for a similar unit to the entire battle. They can also make scarab swarms, but this could cost the spyder a wound.

The Monolith is generally used, but hated by other players. It can teleport in, and will not be destroyed by DSing to units. It can then teleport Necron units through the portal, and you can get another WBB roll through this. The Gauss weaponry can do very well against loads of units, though I have never used one so I can't say how effective it is. The living metal is worth a note, as it can survive really well.

The c'tan gods, I can't say, because I have never used them. They are amazingly skilled, but can be tied up easily with loads of troops. They can withstand some fire power, and the Deceiver has some good rules. I have seen the Deciever surivive a whole turn of 1000+ Pnts of orks shooting at it, saving the Necrons allies.

Also, in the warriors box you get some Scarab swarms, which are very good at tying up enemy units in combat.

Hope this helps

*Note: may not be fun. contact your Apothecary before visiting.

Armies:
  • 6800 Pnts Templar Guardians (SM)
  • 1500 Pnts Necrons Deathguard.
  • 1000 Pnts Ork SKulGratz
  • ??? Imperial Guard/Inquisition.
greatmaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 21:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Scarabs are amazing, an 18"+ turboboost giving a 2+ cover save, then with D fields annd sending them tank hunting, the look on the guys face when his landraider falls to a swarm unit.

Oh and C'tan don't get bogged down by troops as you can hurl them all away from you.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 22:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Harbinger
Oh and C'tan don't get bogged down by troops as you can hurl them all away from you.
The Nightbringer can if the enemy is S4+.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Quote:
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 22:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

^ I've actually had that work to my advantage before quite regularly as Eldar and Tau... just throwing that out there. My mushy stuff actually got help surviving because of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2010, 21:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think i may just go for an all foot army. So no destroyers, Lots of warriors and immortals, perhaps a few waves of scarabs... Like typical apocolypse stuff. Waves of unstoppable killing machines.

I don't know if you can tell me this, but what is the maximum bodies in a warrior squad?
Old 11 Mar 2010, 22:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris the Pirate
I don't know if you can tell me this, but what is the maximum bodies in a warrior squad?
20, but it usually isn't a good idea. The most necrons you can have exit the portal is 17, due to the 2" rule.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11 Mar 2010, 22:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, the portal issue is only if he takes a monolith, which it doesn't sound like he wants to do.

That or you could just punch them in the face while you shout "I am the father of cubes! Fear the wrath of the cubefather!".
Taldaneth is offline   Reply With Quote