Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Necrons: A tactica for 5th Edition gaming
Old 03 Mar 2010, 00:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Necrons: A tactica for 5th Edition gaming

Now, we all know Necrons got hit hard in 5th edition, and now with more and more "codex creeps" that just make newer codex unfair, Necrons are falling more and more behind. With no set date for a codex, all we can do is hope and make the best of what we have. I have started writing a series of Tacticas (which I will post here) to help Necron players use everything in the Codex to their full potential.

HQ
Necron Lord: This guy is almost 1+ in all Necron armies. At toughness 5 and 3 wounds, he is the hardest thing in the codex to kill short of a C'tan. His wargear section is one of the most useful thing that Necrons have access to, and most of it is really cheap, and can be used in combos, which I will go over later.
Cronometron: This is often overlooked, but is actually very useful with the new Sweeping Advance rule. As the Initiative roll-off is taken from the highest initiative stat, you have a very high chance of not being removed from the game.
Destroyer Body: This is seemingly more and more common as people have started leaning away from the Phalanx, and more to the "Flying Circus" type lists. Also, with the addition of +1 Toughness, he can no longer be instant death-ed by shooting.
Disruption Field: Almost completely worthless. If you want to pop tanks, go with the Warscythe.
Gaze of Flame: This makes Close Combat hurt a whole lot less. It gives your unit Defensive Grenades, and if you are in a unit of Flayed Ones they have more of a chance to fail Terrifying Visage, or happen to win a combat, the enemy has a bigger chance to break. In conjunction with Cronometron, imagine the look on your opponents face when he gets swept by Necrons.
Lightning Field: The only use for this I have found is taking it, the Destroyer Body, and a bunch of scarabs and going full speed into the enemy. You tie up enemies for turns at a time, and who knows, they might actually fail a save or two.
Nightmare Shroud: I love this thing. Not because it makes them take Leadership for nothing, but that it affects EVERYTHING in 12". You can get a lot of forced leadership checks this way. Also, it's the same range as the Pariah's "Soulless" rule, and the AVERAGE roll on 2 dice is 7, so I'll bet that you'll see lots of broken units after you do this.
(Pro Tip :P - Shoot actual guns before you do this, or you'll find yourself with nothing to shoot at.)
Phase Shifter: 4+ Invul! Woo! Can't argue with that.
Phylactery: Remember what I said about the Destroyer Lord being immune to Double Toughness IDing? Well, take that into account before you pass up Phylactery. Imagine this: Lord FINALLY takes its last wound, and proceeds to get back up with 2, or maybe 3 wounds, AND you can teleport through the Monolith and re-roll that if you wish.
Resurrection Orb: I have liked this less and less lately. You get WBB even from things that Instant Death you (shooting) or ignore armor (close combat) but doesn't really help you when you get swept. Most Necron players never leave home without it, but I have learned that it isn't entirely necessary.
Solar Pulse: When I first saw it, my immediate response was "One use only. Bad." But, after I realized how bad Nightfight screws up peoples shooting I gave it a second chance. This has won games for me, really. My last attempt to capture an objective, staring down entire armies sometimes, I have used this and avoided even being in RANGE. Using it to negate Night Fight for you is almost pointless, as Necrons are very short ranged.
Veil of Darkness: THE most expensive thing in the armory, taking up over half of your allotted points, this thing is awesome. It lets you to "teleport" around the board, and even out of combat. It can deny enemy their kill points, or put you in rapid fire range with 20 warriors (Ouch). Granted, it isn't for every Lord, but depending on what you want your lord to do, you can never go wrong with this.

C'tan
Death to anything that they touch, the C'tan are nothing to be taken lightly. If you see one on the board (Particularly the Deceiver) just go ahead and burn your rulebook, as it won't do you any good. They are probably the "Most Killy" unit in the game, at Toughness 8 and Strength 9-10 ignoring all saves. Granted, they aren't "unbeatable", but it is a chore to take one out, usually absorbing most of your enemies armies fire before finally falling, and even in its last moment, it is still killing things.

Nightbringer: Who can argue with a guy holding a giant scythe, much less one that shoots a lascannon out of it! The Nightbringer is the equivalent of a Wraithlord with a 4+ invul and more wounds. (Not counting its special rules). The immediate solution to this thing is to overwhelm it with bodies, as it has few attacks, and doesn't have a method of leaving any faster. The problem is, that if you are unmodified S3 or less, (Which I think is the case for all swarms) he doesn't have to fight you, and can actually kill you in the processes by physically knocking you off the board. It will Instant Death most Characters, and is the equivalent of shooting 4 broadsides in close combat. He is not my favorite, however, as he is the more expensive of the two. At 1 more strength, attack, and the addition of an Assault 1 Lascannon, you don't get the fun powers of the Deceiver, which I will cover next.

The Deceiver: While he isn't as strong, and has fewer attacks, you get more bang for buck. He is faster, and is a great asset to have under any circumstance, whether it's redeploying your army, or causing enemies to hit on 6's, fall back, or become pinned. He is also considerably faster than the Nightbringer, being able to go 2D6 every time he gets charged. Also, the FAQ addresses his ability to affect Fearless units, and can in fact make Fearless units go to ground. Other than a few changes and a large point decrease, the Deceiver is almost exactly like a Nightbringer, but better in many ways.

Troops
Warriors: Warriors are required, no matter how hard you wish otherwise. On the plus side, they are the "Cheapest" Necron, and can capture objectives. They are the easiest way to increase your phase-out, but also the easiest way TO phase-out. They also have the best AT basic weapon: The Gauss Flayer. Capable of rendering even the most heavily armored vehicle useless, warriors are a threat to all vehicles, from the lightly armored Trukk, to the Landraider of the Imperium. While Gauss isn't as good as it once was, being able to auto-glance any vehicle can change games. From Immoblizing Landraiders, to rendering Leman Russes useless, Gauss is still a force to be reckoned with. They can also wound any model on a 6, which means that regardless of the situation, the still have a chance, no matter how small of one. Warriors are also the easiest necron to kill, especially in close combat. They are the only MEq that actually NEEDs cover, and should make the best of it. While in cover, you still have a 4+ to dampen the impact of IDing weaponry, and for the close combat units with no frag gernades (Lesser Daemons, Genestealers, etc) You go first! People often forget that Necrons are Space Marines that go at int 2, but other than that, really aren't bad. You can keep them in reserve, and bring them through a monolith portal, guns blazing, getting those powerful shots right from the start. Being in reserve for the first few turns also means it's harder to phase out before the game actually ends.

Elites
I really like this section of the codex. It has Immortals, Flayed ones, and Pariahs, all of which are awesome on the battlefield. Like all the other sections in the Necron Codex, there aren't many options, and you are stuck between the same three options every game. However, they all have something special about them that sometimes is overlooked, and which is why things like Pariahs and Flayed Ones aren't taken as much.

Immortals: They have a FANTASTIC gun. It's also an assault weapon, which means you can shoot, then assault with it! If you think I'm crazy, let me explain. A mob of 30 boyz that GETS the charge hurts. A mob of 30 boyz that GOT charged, hurts a lot less, esspecially with your Toughness 5 VS their S3. When I assault people, I always think "Would it be more beneficial to assault, or to let them assault me". 9 times out of 10 its more beneficial to assault them. You get twice as many attacks, and they don't get their extra attacks. More dice is always better, even if you do get "locked", which shouldn't happen if you have a Monolith or a Lord with VoD nearby. Immortals have the 2nd best gun Dakka-wise. First best being Gauss Cannons, held by the almighty Destroyers. You can plant these guys in a building, and just wait for the enemy to get close and light them up with your Gauss weaponry. Being in a building also protects you from close combat units without Frag Gernades. Immortals are the "more logical" elite choice, but not the best.

Flayed Ones: The ASM of Necrons. They can Infiltrate, they can Deepstrike they have Move through Cover, and they are still a Necron. I think Infiltrating is the best option for them, because that's a guaranteed 2nd turn assault. They have Move Through Cover, so terrain is no big deal, other than the fact you get a 4+ cover save from those guns that don't allow you to WBB. They are great for absorbing assaults from the rest of your force. When the enemy gets close, you can throw these guys in front and do some damage. They aren't the best Close Combat unit, but they aren't bad. I will go more into detail with these guys in the Pariah section.

Pariahs: Armed with a Gauss Blaster and a Warscythe, they are a lord combined with an immortal. For what you're getting (a Plague Marine with a close combat weapon that ignores all saves) it's a steal. They are geared out to kill anything they touch, but fall quickly without WBB, and are unable to go through the Monolith, or be teleported by a lord. These guys, however, are probably one of the best things in our codex. You only need 4, and they make everything better. Flayed Ones make enemies roll leadership for Terrifying Visage at Ld7, Nightmare shroud at Ld7, Morale Checks... Ld7, use the Deceivers "Deceive" ability.. at Ld7, which DOES affect Fearless units, so you name it, it will probably be pinned in a second. They aren't bad in Close Combat either. if you assault Zoanthropes, they will die. The Doom of the Malan'tai will die. Terminators with Storm Shields and Thunder Hammers. Dead. They are a pain unless you out initiative them, which happens often. A general rule of thumb is to "Never assault with them unless you are GUARANTEED to kill the unit before it attacks back". They are too expensive to throw at the enemy, and they are a great asset (while alive, that is) to your army.

Heavy Support
The Heavy Support section for Necrons is much different from other armies. Instead of the "heavy hitters" we literally have "support" units (Except for Heavy Destroyers). Monoliths, Tomb Spyders, and Heavy Destroyers are all great units, but they all have different rolls.

Monolith: When I first saw one of these things I though "Damn that thing is ugly!". I couldn't stand something that reminded me of a Pyramid with little dinky guns and a large Crystal actually being a centerpiece in my army. Looks aside, however, this thing is as durable as it looks (Including the actual model. You'd be surprised how many times mine has been dropped and survived). AV14 all the way around, immune to Lance, and you don't get 2D6 armor penetration or rending. The downside is that Ordinance messes it up, especially vindicators. I would suggest killing any Ordinance weapons first.
The Monolith is actually quite versatile, even though 99% of the time people just take it for its big gun, its other uses are much better. You can actually be in close combat, then disappear and disembark the monolith! It's really aggravating for armies that really need to stay in combat to avoid being shot (Vanguard Tyranids are a big one). Also warriors can actually enter the game through it! It's like a drop pod that isn't useless once it's unloaded its passengers. Also, if you take heavy casualties, you can get re-rolls on your WBB roll by teleporting through it. To make things better, you can roll all of your WBB and decide which unit you want to re-roll depending on the casualties. You can also use it to get that little "extra distance". If you break and take off down the board and rally within 18" of a monolith, you can zoom all the way back into the fight instead of being useless for the next several turns. Also the whole unit doesn't need to be within 18" for it to work, only one model in the unit does, which makes it that much more useful.

Tomb Spyders: I absolutely love these guys. 55pt MC? Hell yes! What about a 55pt MC that also lets you ignore the 6" rule for WBB and can make its own "meatshield"? I'll take one anyday(Or 9 :P). The scarab making ability is awesome IMO. It helps with allocating purposes so you don't take as many wounds, and is also a Heavy 1 shield. If you get shot by a stray lascannon, you can just kill the Swarm instead of taking a wound. Who needs armor when you can just make scarabs to take your wounds? They also scare things like Ironclads away. I was tired of getting assaulted by walkers, so I started running warrior units accompanied by a Spyder and suddenly people thought twice about shoving their walkers/vehicles near me. It might have a terrible WS/BS, but just keep it away from assault oriented units and ICs and just go tank/walker hunting. It also lets you split up your army. With a unit of warriors + Spyder going around independently means that you can get back up even if the whole unit is wiped out. It ussually ends up being worse for the enemy, as whatever forces he had near that unit have nothing to shoot at, and whatever unit you joined now just got much, much stronger. People tend to be surprised when you put models halfway across the board just because they killed them xD

Heavy Destroyers: Lascannons on Jetbikes, basically. Not much to say about these guys except you can avoid being assaulted easier. Also, you can perform "hookshots" by moving 12" to get LoS of what you want to shoot and then firing your 36". It's like a lascannons that can "go around" terrain. They are also fairly cheap and don't need to worry about not getting WBB from anything short of a railgun.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2010, 00:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Necrons: A tactica for 5th Edition gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveFleetGoliath
Now, we all know Necrons got hit hard in 5th edition, and now with more and more "codex creeps" that just make newer codex unfair, Necrons are falling more and more behind. With no set date for a codex, all we can do is hope and make the best of what we have. I have started writing a series of Tacticas (which I will post here) to help Necron players use everything in the Codex to their full potential.
I don't agree that newer armies are unfair. I don't believe that at all. I do agree that people need to re-think the way they use the army in order to be successful. It's not that armies are getting better, is that the way the game is played is different. Players need to adapt more then the players. But this is not as much something that can be said, and more experienced.

I wish to add a couple of points for a few things as well.

Gaze of Flame: In conjunction with Pariahs, it becomes absolutely devastating. Making opponents LD6 max in close combat is great, if you win combat, your opponents are going to fail their leadership test, no doubt. Goes without saying that this makes using flayed ones even more fantastic. Needing to pass a LD6 test in order to hit normally? Yes please! However, like anything that relies on leadership, it also relies on troops not being fearless. But, it is fantastic to also help enemies from getting off psychic powers in close combat. Destroyer lords are hard to kill, unless you can force weapon them. Gaze of flame makes this harder to pull off, as well as adding some Pariahs.

Solar Pulse: Ignoring night fight in dawn of war is also equally fantastic. A lot of Necron units can get quite good range on weapons (Well, destroyers, but most people take lots of them.) Being able to get shots off every turn with them is fantastic and effectively gives you one additional round of shooting each game, while your opponent struggles to shoot your destroyers at three feet. I've yet to use it to give night fight unto myself, but I can see it as a great way to keep a venerable unit safe. Like Pariahs, or something you need to live. Best thing is, is that after you use it in night fight, if you go first, your opponents turn is still night fight. Ha ha!

Destroyer Body: Even without the 'flying circus?' (what are strange way to call a necron army, I thought that was a name for an Eldar army build?) Destroyer lords are still helpful. Mostly due to the T6, but also the mobility can help even Phalanx armies so that the lord can more quickly move to diffrent areas in the lines and keep 'em protected. However, with the Destroyer body you either get that or the Veil of Darkness. Most people will be grabbing a res-orb as well, due to the fact that what ever kills the Destroyer lord is bound to be something strong.

One thing to keep in mind about the necron lord, is that he is a pretty rubbish fighter. Hes tough, and can ignore all saves, but hes not particularly good at doing so. hes got a low number of attacks, mediocre weapon skill, and a mediocre initiative. If you try to send him against other HQ choices hes totally outclassed. He really is in desperate need of support by your other units, thus you need to make sure that the Lord suits the army, and the army suits the lord. Or else, your not going to get any good out of him.

The Lord, is a support unit, not a fighter, that must be stressed. You can get lucky, and kill something important with him, but the chances of doing so are veyr unlikely. It's more likely he'll just tarpit something for a couple of turns before he gets damaged.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2010, 01:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Those are all good points, and the ones having to due with Pariahs will be covered next after I do a quick overview of the warrior.

Looking at the Lord, I don't see anything that would make him "Not a good fighter". He's hitting almost everything on a 4+, and wounding normal marines on a 3+. He has a decent number of attacks as well. I understand that he is better at "supporting" but you can't say he isn't a good fighter.

(Flying Circus for Necrons is basically spamming Destroyers as much as possible)
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Quote:
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
Old 03 Mar 2010, 10:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveFleetGoliath

Looking at the Lord, I don't see anything that would make him "Not a good fighter". He's hitting almost everything on a 4+, and wounding normal marines on a 3+. He has a decent number of attacks as well. I understand that he is better at "supporting" but you can't say he isn't a good fighter.
Statistically, when not on the charge, hes going to cause one wound a turn. I generally say that this is something that shows hes not a good fighter. There is no way for him to hit better, get more attacks, or affect his attacks (re-rolls or what-not). Wounding on a 3+ is great, but you need to hit first and you need a good amount of attacks to back it up. His base number of attacks is the same as a Marine Tactical sgt.

THough, this hardly matters as hes not really meant to be a powerful fighter anyway. His wargear allows him to do great supportive things for your army, or to punish swathes of your opponents. So his ueses are still amazingly useful.

Quote:
(Flying Circus for Necrons is basically spamming Destroyers as much as possible)
I've always heard it called a 'Destroyer Armada'. Flying Circus is an Eldar build featuring harlequin units in Falcons.

[hr]

I agree with what you said about the C'tan, however you failed to mention how amazingly amazing the Deceivers Grand Illusion and Dread powers are. With grand Illusion, you can really do nasty-nasty things during deployment. Dread has no use on fearless models, but against anything else can make your assaults that much better. However, if you are failing to take units capable of assaulting (specifically; Pariahs, tomb spiders, flayed ones, wraiths), then your not going to get any benefit out of it.

Also, the Eldric Storm from the Nightbringer can be used in another fascinating way. If you happen to be fighting an army with majority S3 or less (Orks, lots of tyranids, eldar etc..) Then what you can do is deploy the nightbringer in the front and middle of your force, while the other models in the front rank, and kept close to the nightbringer.
Therefore, when your opponent tries to charge your squads beside the nightbringer, you can still push them back. This is a fantastic way to avoid combat, while still marching implacably forward. Imagine a couple of squads of immortals being on either side of the nightbringer as you advance, completely immune to assault (Or mostly immune) by all units what contain S3 models. This is fantastic.

I completely agree with the warrior part, but their guns are still essentially bolters, so they still destroy units with save 5+ or worse.
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03 Mar 2010, 11:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Just to add, don't forget about giving a destroyer lord a warscythe, and invulnerable saves are no longer taken into account. That makes him slightly better than average in my opinion.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2010, 11:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekiel
Just to add, don't forget about giving a destroyer lord a warscythe, and invulnerable saves are no longer taken into account. That makes him slightly better than average in my opinion.
Still only one wound will statistically be caused..I guess it's one guaranteed wound. I find the warscythe adds a better anti-walker defense, or ability to tackle vehicles. Rather then going after infantry. I guess it'll make opponents sweat though, and can be helpful to cause maybe one or two wounds to a thunderhammer terminator squad. Don't get me wrong, I usually always take the scythe, as it is quite awesome, but I don't often expect all that much from it. I like the scythes as an insurance policy to kill terminators, which Necrons always struggle with.
Sigged.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03 Mar 2010, 16:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In DOW deployment, there is also a great (mis)use of the Deceiver: Place a Warrior unit spread out as far as possible right at the front of your deployment zone, effectively giving your opponent a large exclusion zone along your front and forcing him to deploy assaulty units further back or to one side. then, simply Grand Illusion them to the farthest away corner and watch them slog away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demitriusnassy
Haha ;D I am Bob, the devourer of Souls. ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Turning the Power Matrix into some kind of Disco Ball of Death? :P
willwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2010, 21:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwills
In DOW deployment, there is also a great (mis)use of the Deceiver: Place a Warrior unit spread out as far as possible right at the front of your deployment zone, effectively giving your opponent a large exclusion zone along your front and forcing him to deploy assaulty units further back or to one side. then, simply Grand Illusion them to the farthest away corner and watch them slog away.
I prefer running warriors, monoliths, and a Deceiver, and Placing your warriors on the board alone, and before the game starts, place them into reserve via monolith portal
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04 Mar 2010, 00:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
It will Instant Death most Characters, and is the equivalent of shooting 4 broadsides in close combat.
Well actually... More like shooting 5 melta hammerheads in close combat. He doesn't get a re-roll, but he does get 2d6 armor pen .

Good thread, necrons need all the help they can get till a new dex comes.
Ironwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2010, 00:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Good thread, necrons need all the help they can get till a new dex comes.
Thanks ;D Elites will be done this weekend, and I might work of my Monolith entry (It's going to be LONG)
Quote:
Quote: