Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dear Necron Players.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 21:32   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Dear Necron Players.

Good Afternoon Folks!

I have been playing 40k at our local hobby shop for 6 years and the game itself for 11 years. Every summer we have an escalation league and we had 3 Necron Players. All three of these players have quit playing Necrons because they claim that the army is not even playable with the Gauss changes and 5th edition.

I keep thinking to myself that no it's not possible that the Army is bad and it is just the player. So what I am looking for is help on what I should get, and where I can find tactics on playing Necrons (Obviously these forums but I mean an overall common tactic that can be manipulated to a personalized play style.)

Armies that I will be playing against are:
Space Marines
Eldar
Imperial Guard

Any response is much appreciated.
EvilCupCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 21:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: Dear Necron Players.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

From what I hear, Necrons are in a pretty bad place right now. They have taken quite a hit due to the rules changes.

A competitive list should still be possible though, even if it does borderline on the Powergame.

Im sure many of our Necron Experts will be able to tell you more than me though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 21:40   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Welcome to the Forums!

There are a few problems that Necron players are running into. The first is that glancing vehicles to death is a lot harder, so the Gauss weaponry is nowhere near as impressive as it once was. The second is that losing close combat now often negates the high Leadership of the Necrons because of modifiers, and can lead to them getting wiped out by Sweeping Advances without the ability to use WBB. So you have to rely on your heavier weapons to kill vehicles, and you have to try even harder to stay out of close combat.

We still have a few Necron players around here, and they have had some success with what they call Drop 'Crons. Basically they are exploiting the idea that the Monolith itself also got a lot stronger in the metagame. Melta Weaponry is king in 5th Edition, but it is now incapable of actually killing a Monolith. Lists that rely on meltaguns, multimeltas, and Power Fists won't be able to scratch a Monolith, and you can focus fire on any unit with S9 or S10. But beyond that I am not sure how it works beyond taking three of them and trying to keep the Warriors out of harm's way until late in the game. My understanding is that you keep all of the Warriors in Monolith Reserve, and then keep all of the Monoliths in Reserve. With this you can delay the Warriors until at least turn 3, since you can roll for them first in turn 2 before any of the Monoliths are there to deploy them. If you have three units of Warriors, this gives you the ability to delay at least one of them until turn 4, depending on how fast the Monoliths show up. But as I said, I am not precisely sure how it is supposed to do damage.

But I wouldn't say that it is just the players. They really did take a pretty hard hit from the new edition.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 21:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Is really hard to play them right now.

Necron Guass weapons have a high chance of glancing enemy vehicles. Use to be you could glance then roll a 6 and destroy any vehicle in the game. They changed it so now a 6 doesn't destroy when glancing. This is huge for necrons because they lack a lot of real anti tank weapons and relied on that rule a lot.

The other thing that hurt necrons were the new moral check rules. Use to be necrons high leadership kept them from running away, and even when they did they would get away from their enemies most of the time. The rules changed, now necrons can end up with a huge negative modifier to their leadership in close combat, and running away is based on your initiative which is a really low stat for necrons. In summary... necrons tend to run away in combat a lot under the new rules, and then they get caught by their attackers. When caught in this way the unit is destroyed, and they don't get their WBB rolls when destroyed in this manner :'(.

If you were going to play them they would be much different than they use to be.
Ironwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 21:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ahem, AP 1 Khan. Hard, but not unattainable.
[hr]

I don't think Necrons are unworkable. Yes, CC resolution hurt, but it hurt quite a few armies as much as it may have helped others, luckily 3+ save and T4 averages go a long way to making up for that, plus they aren't weak in CC really.

Gauss hit them hard though. No denying it. It's hard to work around since everyone seems to be leaning more towards Mech'ing up these days.

Luckily, some of your units were boosted in uses, one of the best examples is the mighty scarab swarm. While turboboosting you enjoy a 2+ cover save that can protect you against quite a bit. Add in the tarpit factor and they make nice distractions.

More invulnerables (and at lower needed numbers) means that C'Tan might actually get played much more frequently to combat the harder to get through saves.

etc.

It's very different, compared to fourth, but once you get used to Fifth the power gap closes a tad more. It's still an uphill battle for 'Crons (and a few other armies hit hard by 5th), but it shouldn't be one where you find yourself wiped out early or easily.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 21:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

My necrons have taken a back seat after 2 years of 4th edition as 5th hit them with a sledge hammer wrapped around a moderately sized toyota with the accelerator stuck.

Things got much more difficult and before you could get away with a plastic armies of crons as they could do it all but now some of the expensive metal units are needed. The moral rules are a bastard too. Necrons are very hit and miss, if you win it is normally a landlside if it is a lose it is absolutely slaughterous.

[hr]
Where did AP1 come in, virtually nothing has that for crons.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 21:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Harbinger
Where did AP1 come in, virtually nothing has that for crons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Melta Weaponry is king in 5th Edition, but it is now incapable of actually killing a Monolith. Lists that rely on meltaguns, multimeltas, and Power Fists won't be able to scratch a Monolith, and you can focus fire on any unit with S9 or S10.
[hr]

The Gauss thing can almost be ignored by Heavy Destroyers taking their rightful place as the Heavy weapons in the army. Plus, you can always still just glance them a lot and get rid of the one or two important weapons most vehicles have.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 21:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

I think people are referencing AP1 in terms of it being one the Monoliths main weaknesses seeing as it is imminue to melta and lance.

Railguns are a big threat to a Monolith now, and the best weapon in the game for killing them.

Damn you Ender, Ninja'd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 22:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have perhaps the most unusual looking necron army around.

I only use the Rogue Trader models at this moment since I've been collecting them when they first came out. Now those models look mean and mechanical looking. I call them the Proto Necrons and had to scratch built my monoliths to keep the theme.

Necrons are a hard army to play, but it still comes down to skill vs skill. I play mine still in tournaments and enjoy the outcome winning or losing.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 22:29   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan
Ahem, AP 1 Khan. Hard, but not unattainable.
[hr]
Oh right. Forgot about that. Which I shouldn't have, because I remember pulling it off with the Ravenwing. Doesn't help you with S8 Power Fists, but you do have a 1/36 shot with Melta weaponry.

Point being, Monoliths should have it slightly easier as more players rely on melta weaponry over Lascannons for their anti-tank. It is one of the ways they have benefited from the metagame. Won't help much against Tau, since the Railgun is still very good at killing Monoliths. It may also have some new issues against Tyranids now.

I think Living Metal allows them to spam heavy armor in a way that Marine armies can't really get away with any more. I am not seeing very much Land Raider spam any more, for example. Except for things like Grey Knights or Deathwing where you can't use Rhinos.

But beyond relying on the durability of the Monolith and its ability to delay reserves, I don't really know how that army takes objectives or kill points.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote