Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

which is better: nightbringer, deceiver or monolith
View Poll Results: which is better, nightbringer, deceiver or monolith
Nightbringer 5 8.77%
Deceiver 6 10.53%
Monolith 46 80.70%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 Feb 2010, 22:00   #21 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: which is better: nightbringer, deceiver or monolith

I feel that this is an inappropriate question. Both C'tan have very different roles to play, and their abilities affect your army in different ways. The Monolith is also equally different. Really, in order to use any of these units properly, you need to build your list around them..so to speak. Thus, it's hard to say which is the best to use, as all have their unique strengths and weaknesses.

The Nightbringer is good to keep near your front lines and using it's eldric tempest to prevent your opponents from charging you (at least keeps 'gaunts, swarms, orks and many other units from charging). Then you can use your warriors/immortals which are near the nightbringer to eliminate the target you repelled. Thus, he works much better with other units. The deceiver is more of a distraction. Good to send off on it's own and trick your opponent into pointlessly charing it. It's leadership abilities are great, as the deceive is a leadership test, not a morale or pinning test. Therefore, fearless units are affected.

Monolith is a great support unit as well, especially if you have lots of warriors/immortals/flayed ones to make use of it.

*Shrug* None are better or worse, and it's hard to take any of the units at face value out of context of a list in which they are built with.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2010, 11:30   #22 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindgobble Witherfume
The deceiver is more of a distraction. Good to send off on it's own and trick your opponent into pointlessly charing it. It's leadership abilities are great, as the deceive is a leadership test, not a morale or pinning test. Therefore, fearless units are affected.
The Deceive rule says you have to take either a morale or pinning test. But you have to take it even if you would automatically pass it.
Tauish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2010, 14:00   #23 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauish
Quote:
The deceiver is more of a distraction. Good to send off on it's own and trick your opponent into pointlessly charing it. It's leadership abilities are great, as the deceive is a leadership test, not a morale or pinning test. Therefore, fearless units are affected.
The Deceive rule says you have to take either a morale or pinning test. But you have to take it even if you would automatically pass it.
Yep, which is also why I specifically said that fearless units are affected. So, your agreeing with me then... Awesome...
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2010, 14:30   #24 (permalink)
Shas'El

So I think at this point you should say which 3 units is better ignoring phase out. With phase out the monolith hands down due to the effect of it being able to extend the necrons wwb rolls.

While the Deciever would be better if phase out wasn't a concern.

Oh yaeh monolith blocks line of sight which would be major reason 2 why it's better when thinking phase out.

As a non necron player. I owned a necron army for a day and sold it with the rule book. I would just ignore and avoid all 3 and just keep killing warriors till you phase out. Unless necrons change that has been the best tactic against this army and I never lost against it so it must work.

Only 2 times I came close to losing against necrons.
1. Was when I sent an avatar, 2 wraithlords, and 10 wraithguard to kill the nightbringer and he slayed them all. Man i love 10 dark reapers.
2. I had 3 monoliths ds on me an my broadsides and half my army couldn't see his army cause 3 stupid monoliths blocked my line of sight.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 16:17   #25 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauish
Quote:
Yep, which is also why I specifically said that fearless units are affected. So, your agreeing with me then... Awesome...
Yeah. It's in the FAQ as well.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2010, 04:42   #26 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

then the original question is pointless.

I feel the original context of the question was which would you take among the 3 (lith and Ctans) facing an unknown race and list.

If it weren't in these context then any player who knows how to read a codex can custom their FO choices given a known armylist. There is no need to discuss anything.

So to paraphrase the question Gabriel, : which among the 3 would you take EVERYTIME, when faced against an UNKNOWN race & list to assure you of higher probability of winning, say the pointage is from 2K below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel_
So if you personally like the monolith better than both C'tan go use the monolith. If you feel a C'tan would better suit your needs then that's what you should use, but regardless of what anyone says the monolith does not trump the C'tan every time and neither vise versa.

omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2010, 19:04   #27 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

lets say 2000pts, infantry, and light armour. which would be more effective was a pore precise question
Shadownja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2010, 19:06   #28 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Nightbringer
3 (7.3%)
Deceiver
6 (14.6%)
Monolith
32 (78%)
current stats
Shadownja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2010, 20:02   #29 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownja
lets say 2000pts, infantry, and light armour. which would be more effective was a pore precise question
Against lightly armored infantry, I would say... Monolith. Infantry don't normally carry things that are threats to monoliths, and the Particle Whip will obliterate large amounts of models a turn.
[hr]
@Grind: I misread your post. In the FAQ it specifically says that Fearless units may be pinned.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2010, 02:14   #30 (permalink)
Shas'El

A monolith! Who in their right mind wouldn't be impressed when you set that thing on the table? It's one of the best looking models ever.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote