Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How's This Build Against Tau?
Old 10 Feb 2010, 05:10   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default How's This Build Against Tau?

Hello everybody, I just wanted to know what you all think about this build for taking on The Greater Good. Here's what I've got for a 2000 point game....

Destroyer Lord + Gaze Of Flame + Phylactery

Lord + Veil Of Darkness + Resurrection Orb

19 Warriors

18 Warriors

18 Warriors

10 Immortals

10 Scarabs

10 Scarabs

10 Scarabs

And that's it. Pretty simple, the Destroyer Lord gets put with one of the Scarabs and they along with the 20 Scarabs go out after all the troops. As for the Lord, Warriors, and Immortals they all just walk and run the first few turns keeping close to the Resurrection Orb and when in range either shoot or assault. And of course whenever a Hammerhead or other vehicle has a vulnerable rear, just Veil with the Immortals and take it out from behind.

So what do you think? This build is a little different from my usual but I think it might be a little fun.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 15:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: How's This Build Against Tau?

I would actually just skip on the res orb unless your goal is to keep the immortals safe from railguns. Tau have little in the way of power weapons or str 8+ weapons. They have a lot of str5-7 but only a few weapons over 8. Fusion blasters and railguns, which are both somewhat rare and if he is smart any hammerhead railguns will be firing large blasts at the scarabs.

Be careful with the scarabs. 1 hammerhead large blast could whipe out a whole lot of them in a single shot, its str 6 big blast. Ion blasters and missile pods could also take out a few swarms a turn. I guess if they get a chance to turbo boost early and then get right into assault they will be ok... I don't think Tau have anything that is str 6 in assault. So just make sure to turbo boost early and get into assault.
Ironwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2010, 18:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Tau have krootox that are strength 6 in assault but in all honesty, i have never used them nor seen anyone use them.

I would reconsider your anti tank options, i dislike veiling an expensive unit like immortals and immortal shooting is more useful hurting crisis suits and shredding fire warriors. Have you considered giving your scarabs disruption fields or giving you destroyer lord a warscythe?

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2010, 20:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would like to point out that i have played for years with my only antitank being the gauss rule and D/S immortals. Alot of players underestimate them, remember if you take a main weapon off a hammerhead they are no longer much of a threat.

And spread out your sacrabs to protect form blast, remember your first turn turboboost for a 2+ cover save and 2nd turn assualt. It will be bloody slaughter. If you like Dfield up a scarab squad and set it antitank, 40 glancing on 6 hits hurt.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 21:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Harbinger
I would like to point out that i have played for years with my only antitank being the gauss rule and D/S immortals. Alot of players underestimate them, remember if you take a main weapon off a hammerhead they are no longer much of a threat.

And spread out your sacrabs to protect form blast, remember your first turn turboboost for a 2+ cover save and 2nd turn assualt. It will be bloody slaughter. If you like Dfield up a scarab squad and set it antitank, 40 glancing on 6 hits hurt.
Oh yes as long as you hose the tank with gauss its all good. I just prefer you use my immortals to crack the infantry, is it more cost effective to d/s them or just to mass glance with warriors?

and yeah i mainly use disruption scarabs, they work wonder for me with all those attacks

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2010, 22:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have tried playing some games without heavy destroyers. The lack of anything above S6 really is restricting, not too mention unreliable. I much prefer to have a spattering of S9 shots in order to help ensure that if I need something neutralized, it will be.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2010, 23:39   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yeah I guess I forgot to mention that the Scarabs and Destroyer Lord will all turbo boost and will all probably be held in reserve so that way for sure they will be boosting the moment they come into play.

As far as the vehicle strategy I don't want to waste time having my Scarabs chase them. They are there to assault troops for easy kill points and if all the troops are dead then they can't score in an objective game. Of course I will have them all spread out to avoid blasts especially after consolidating and hope that a couple survive and then Turbo Boost them out of there. I will just focus on using Gauss glance and Immortals to Immobilize or destroy their guns and since most of the Tau are skimmers, if they moved and get Immobilized it will count as a wreck, at least that's the plan if it comes to that.

The reason I have a Resurrection Orb is to at least insure that my Immortals and Warriors get a We'll Be Back roll just in case the player decides to go Railgun crazy on me. So even if he does I can still have a chance to get back up and even if I fail a few I still have a lot of Warriors to keep me from Phase Out.

So far I like what I'm hearing here, so do you guys think I should try this the next time I play a Tau player?
Old 11 Feb 2010, 05:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm going to point out that the Tau skimmers (most of them) won't crash and burn if you immobilize them. IIRC, they need to have been moving/moved Flat-out, which we really can't do... :P

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote