Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tips Against New Tyranids
Old 21 Jan 2010, 05:24   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tips Against New Tyranids

This Saturday I will be facing against the new Tyranids and I'm very excited. I just wanted to ask all you C'tan worshippers for some advice or what I should be on the look out for.

My opponent is a manager at Games WorkShop so that makes it more exciting to me and we're going to be playing a 2000 point game, but unfortunately I don't now know what he'll be using except for that new model that reproduces with 3D6. Incase you're all wondering what I'll be using, here's my list.....

Deciver
Destroyer Lord
30 Warriors
10 Immortals
10 Destroyers
Scarabs
Monolith

I don't know what gears I should put on the Lord but I do know I will have him running with the Scarabs and he will have the War scythe. So yeah, there you have. This game will take place on Saturday and anything you guys can share with me will great, as you know I will let you all know how it goes, thanks.
Old 21 Jan 2010, 13:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Tips Against New Tyranids

I would probably drop the warscythe in favor of the staff of light, for starters. The Tyranids do not have any vehicles and are rather short of invulnerable saves. Also, you absolutely do not want to be in close combat with them under any circumstances. Just about everything in the new book has higher init than the necrons with more cc ability overall.

A monolith is probably the best vehicle in the game against the bugs at this point, imo. The fact that it's immune to lance means that one of their only tank buster units will have a tough time bringing it down. The mobility and pie plate it will provide should more than justify the points. At 2k I might bring two.
The 3d6 unit he mentioned is a monstrous creature, which will require sixes to wound with a necron warrior's gun, and has a very high number of wounds. Every movement phase it may spawn 3d6 gaunts, and will not be able to do so again that game if any doubles are rolled on that check. In theory you could have up to five of those things facing you.
Let us know how it goes, I'd be interested in hearing what happens!
Daeghrefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2010, 17:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I kinda went all over the map, I haven't played with new nids but I have a few good intel points.

The Tervigon (troop MC) creates average 10 gaunts per turns yea. It also come rocking some psychic powers that give said gaunts abilities such as Feel no Pain (can't remember others). As well when the tervigon is killed, every Gaunt squad near him (spawned by it or not) takes 3d6 hits, making it a nice target essentially killing half of whatever it made. Additionally, each new brood is separate, thereby another kill point. The Tervigon itself is just walking wounds, only has 3 attacks.

But anyways, Drop the warscythe for reasons said by Daeghrefn AND because Tyranids lost pretty much all 2+ saves, and the 2+ we CAN get cost as much as a terminator and only for the Hive Tyrant. The AP3 Staff of Light will work just fine.

A few other points: Necrons of course must make things a shooting match. By your opponent bringing a tervigon this tells me that at least a couple elements of his army aren't run forward and assault which is good for you; punish him for trying to outshoot you.

I don't know if you checked out the Tyranid forums here but that has many ideas that could be used against you (mawloc, etc).

10 destroyers, well, you will be glad to know that nothing deep strikes and assaults anymore so you can breathe a little easier that tey won't be tied in CC and then wiped when they fail morale from those lictors. Lictors instead fire off 2 rending shots at close range and at their Strength.

The Deceiver may not be as terrifying a you think, and here's why! Pretty much all Tyranids now have various types of poison special rules, right down to gaunts. That usually invincibly tough C'Tan can be poisoned to death by even a small amount of Hormagaunts, or even Termagaunts!

The real kicker like was said is the monolith. There isn't a whole lot anything can do, Tyranid shooting (beyond the Zoanthrope) hasn't improved all that much, forcing something big to walk there and smash it in, and with 10 destroyers and immortal support, you should be OK.

In short I like the list, I am just worries that if he goes all out CC, you could be phased with many points going int C'Tan and Monolith (35 odd dead crons isn't too hard to do when they are routed in CC). So use that range and mobility elements, and be sure to post the results.

Old 21 Jan 2010, 19:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Having read through the codex, they have tons of 3+ armor, toughness 6, multi-wound models!

You may want scarabs just to keep your warriors from being assaulted, and as mentioned forget being assaulted by anything at all. you get assaulted you're dead. I agree that your monoliths can save your existence, and you may want to have 2 or 3 of them. Also destroyers may be a great things to take both for range and toughness as well as their ability to shoot. Immortals are not a bad choice, as long as you keep them out of assault.

your key to survival is staying out of assault against an assault army. remember that your monoliths can land anywhere without mishap, use this to get your warriors into rapid fire range and hope for a few failed saves (20 BS:4 shots is a lot of fire to survive unharmed, but the tyranids have things that could potentially do it especially with all of the toughness 6 creatures)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2010, 04:56   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Fricken sweet!!! I love what I'm hearing here already. So rule number one against the Nids is to stay out of CC, I think I can do that, we'll see.

I understand that the Deciver can be taken out by venom and such, but he's there for the heavy stuff like the Carnifex and anything else thats really powerful and hard to take out with guns. This is of course if he get close with his Carnifex, I'm not going to charge into something I'm going to let him come to me and he's going to take lots of shots from everything else.

I understand, I will drop the War scythe but now I don't know what to do with my Destroyer Lord. I mean, what gears would be good for him against Tyranids? Should I still run him with the Scarabs? A couple of you mention to bring another Monolith, will this really be better then bringing the Destroyer Lord? What are your thoughts?

The way I play with my Necrons is I keep everyone close together in one corner, I find this way everyone is in blasting range when enemies get close and we are in range to phase through the portal for WBB rolls or just getting them out of CC.

So I have two more days guys, keep them coming. We must unite and destroy all life, our gods demand more Souls..... >
Old 22 Jan 2010, 05:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

(tyranid player here, have dabled with necrons)

If you're going to try and take out the tervigon, you'll need to start early. it works best when there are termagants nearby, who will take MANY wounds if he dies.

He WILL field at least a mawloc and probably a trygon. The mawlock will deep strike like a monolith into your troops, but will cause S6 AP3 hits - so be aware and consider having a counter-attack ready. The mawloc is NOT good in CC - so try and take it out.

Ditch heavy destroyers, go with destroyers instead.

Spread out 2" between models; there will be large blast templates

Work out what is synapse. Take them out. Make sure he does instinctive behaviour for all units outside synapse.

Keep an eye on the target. If you are playing objectives, aim to A) clear any MC's off them, B) Be ready to contest them the last turn.

If you are playing kill points, aim for the big targets or small swarms - they're usually easier to wipe out than a large swarm.

As always, beware the flyrant who now has WS 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Wu
You must conserve shampoo for the greater good.
AussieLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2010, 04:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore
You may want scarabs just to keep your warriors from being assaulted,
Scarabs are instadeathed by the MCs. I would suggest not taking them.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2010, 06:37   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hey everybody, I just got back from my game and man oh man was it intense.

It ended in a draw but man it was so close, I dominated in most of the game. It was Capture and Secure in Dawn of War with the Tyranids going first. By the end of the game I had destroyed 9 units and he killed 3 unites of Nerons. You guys were right, in assault he killed two units in one go since I had two squad of warriors close together, his GeneStealers outflanked and was able to take them both out, very bad and thought I was a goner.

His Zoanthrope killed the Monolith in one shot with that strength 10 AP1 psychic attack......wtf?? And really that's why the game was a draw since I Deep Strike it trying to contest his objective. But those were his only achievements for the game, the rest was mine.

He Deep Strike the Trygon, the Harpies or Herpies whatever you call that thing and it mishap since we were playing in a lot of terrain, and also his Hive Tyrant which I shot to death in one turn. The Trygon died by the Deciver and pretty much everything else from the Immortals and Destroyers. My Lord was only one inch away from contesting, but he got assaulted by the babies that the Tervigon created and she eventually joined the assault too, some how my Lord survived the entire game.

What really sucks is that if the Lord was one inch closer, the Necrons would've won. If the Zoanthrope didn't kill the Monolith, the Necrons would've won. If the game would've continue too turn 7, Necrons would've won since my Destroyers would've been able to turbo boost and contest easily.

All in all it was a fun game and I learned a lot today. I can't wait for a rematch, the Necrons will destroy all life in the galaxy, and our gods will be pleased.
Old 24 Jan 2010, 15:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yea I was going to say that the zoan was still a threat. It won't get its 'lance' special rule against the monolith but its still str10. Its anti tank shot is second only to a twin linked meltagun at point blank... which isn't really a threat to a monolith. Against a mono its second only to a twin linked railgun.

A c'tan is fine, just keep it away from guants. Its a great counter attack unit for dealing with tyrants and trygons.

Scarabs... should probably be used to tie up genestealers.

Sounds like a good game, keep it up.

Ironwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2010, 16:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

What do you mean "it won't get the lance special rule"? It's
Not extra D6, so you will get it
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote