Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do you fight Necrons?
Old 10 Jan 2010, 23:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default How do you fight Necrons?

I am tired of my Necrons being smashed in every game I play. I get out shot, beat down in close combat, and I no longer see the value in a Necron warrior. I am looking for general tactics used to crush Necrons so I can come up ways to counter them.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2010, 23:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: How do you fight Necrons?

Best way to kill necrons, is to run them down in combat. When I play,I make sure to try and prevent my opponent from doing that. Shooting is only a worry for things like Destroyers which come in smaller squads.

You'll want a way to get out of combat, or avoid combat. Monoliths, or VoD can zzaaaappp the necrons out of combat, which is nice. But, the units such as Destroyers and Scarabs can either avoid combat Via Speed, or hold up them in combat for a few turns.

Tomb Spiders, Pariahs, and Wraiths can be effect counter-assault units.

If you had specifics on the armies you fought, or what your army is, I could give you a bit better help.

What do you find exactly is getting you killed. Specifics can help narrow down a way to help you.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2010, 23:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

When I play CC oriented armies, I get mowed down. When I play shooty armies, I get shot to bits. I normally play:

Space Marines (Yes, with shrike + termies)
Da Green Tide
Tyranids
Tau
Eldar
Chaos Space Marines
Imperial Guard
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Quote:
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 00:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

What sort of list do you play?

I find the best thing to do in any game with my necrons is target priority. I've played and won against shooting armies, assault armies and mixed armies. The most important thing is to focus on what is the most important threats to you. It is hard to say off the bat, but generally once you know what your playing against. Also, priority changes on a turn by turn basis. Keep in mind, that all your units are sacrificial, as long as it allows you to achieve mission success.

When building you list, you cannot always hope to cover everything, but you can at least try to cover as much as you can. A lot of the armies you face, have Armour 4+ units, so Immortals and Destroyers should be awesome at dishing out hordes of damage over long range. Immortals are also fantastic sheilds for your warriors, due to their high toughness and WBB. 10 immortals, and a Res-orb lord is going nowhere anytime fast.

For dealing with Terminators, you might want to ensure you have a Lord with warscythe, or a unit of pariahs will make short work of them, besides that, it's weight of fire. If the Terminators are shrike come from your flanks, then use a shield to protect you. A large unit of Scarabs is fantastic at saying "You shall not pass" to any sort of unit. A unit of lighting claw terminators will be stuck in combat with Scarabs for quite a few turns. They are also great at eliminating tanks. They can turbo 24", gain a 2+ cover save then use their D-Fields to charge and nullify enemy armour by turn two.

Flayed ones are also good at nullifying tanks, are have the bonus of being able to out-flank. Being Necrons, means that they are by no means easy to eliminate.

What parts of enemy armies are the most concern? They all contain a lot of things, so it's hard to narrow it down. As I said, specifics are helpful.

Also, how many points do you play?

Here are some anti-necron articles I found. All from a Marine PoV, but generally should help for any case.

Anti-Necron Tactica

Assorted more personal ones, which may help.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/i...930&hl=necrons

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/i...574&hl=necrons

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/i...268&hl=necrons
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2010, 00:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

2000. My list is:
Deciever
20 Warriors (2 units of 10)
6 Heavy Destroyers
1 Monolith
4 Pariahs
10 Immortals
5 Destroyers

Sometimes I take out the Pariahs for a Lord+Rezorb, but I tried your idea on keeping the warriors in reserve and it worked well.

Also, the Shrike + Termies make me laugh, becuase I tend to redeploy the deciever right next to them
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11 Jan 2010, 00:56   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Personally I focus on survivability more than anything else, it's one of the Necrons best strengths. I never leave home without at least 1 Monolith, I also have 2 lords both of whom have Res Orbs so there's always at least one in my army list plus tomb spyders are nice not just for counter assault but also for giving a WBB to units that are spaced far apart on the board.

The Portal also gives the extra WBB role to badly hit units but is also nice for pulling necrons across quite a nice distance and the VoD is very useful for getting some distance between a unit and assaulters I had some fun with a Space Wolf player who spent a few turns foot slogging around chasing his tail from my Lord and his retinue ;D

Bottom line is I do modify my force based on who i'm going to be fighting but as a general rule I field one troop choice for every 500 points I have on the board then with the remainder I spend the points on units that will benefit the warriors so that my units are all working together on the field. My personal style is to max survivability and wear the enemy down slowly and draw them out them teleport away just to frustrate my opponent as much as possible with as many of my units as possible getting right back up again no matter what they throw at me.

Also: scarabs are invaluable, 2+ save when turbo boosting, nice and cheap, and fast enough to get around and provide a cheap disposable screen if the enemy hard hitters are getting too close which can really buy you time.
Koll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2010, 00:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koll
Bottom line is I do modify my force based on who i'm going to be fighting
:-X Sorry, but I really don't think that's fair, for you or your opponent. I try to make tournament worthy lists, where I don't know who I'm going to be playing
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11 Jan 2010, 01:40   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I am in a very very small group of gamers where I am. Specifically 5 of us in all, 3 IG players, 1 SW player, and i'm the new guy. When i'm challenged to a game by any of them they know exactly who i'm bringing and have a fairly good idea of what i'm fielding if I don't prepare accordingly then it's no fun for anyone, that's really a major issue in a gaming group as small as the one i'm in, we all know what the other guy has.

We generally find it works out as it stops us all from getting comfortable and constantly having to address our weaknesses. week to week it's unusual for us not to know who we're going to be playing at our next meet up. It may not be the popular way of sorting lists but it works for our small group. Of course I don't know specifically what the guy is going to be fielding but I do know whether he's going to be shooty or assaulty. It's actually allowed us all to really start developing better armies as they only started collecting their armies when the new codexes for SW and IG were released and I only started Necrons back in October. Suffice it to say we're all learning new things about our armies as we're going along and thinking like a tournament player is a long way of for all 5 of us.

That being said I do see your point and back when I was in a club with 30+ members and I was a marine player I'd turn up with a basic list and have a good day of gaming against all sorts of armies not knowing what i'd be playing against next. It's really a case of different circumstances for different players I guess.

That being said i'm moving house in a week and am really keepin my fingers crossed for a better community of gamers in my next destination.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 01:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ok, now that you explained that I understand fully. Anyway, you said you used to be a Marine player. How did you fight necrons?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11 Jan 2010, 01:53   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveFleetGoliath
Ok, now that you explained that I understand fully. Anyway, you said you used to be a Marine player. How did you fight necrons?
When I played Marines Necrons didn't exist. White Dwarf came with weekly cardboard press outs for Space Hulk. And the gaming club I played at was on an RAF base that no longer exists. (actually it still exists but the army own it now)

2nd Edition Forever! ;D

I took 12 years out of the hobby and actually Necrons were released just prior to me leaving the hobby, somewhere I still have a single metal necron warrior that came free with WD to celebrate the release of a new army.