Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Trying to figure out monoliths
Old 09 Jan 2010, 02:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Trying to figure out monoliths

I'm not a necron player but my friend/today's opponent is one, and seeing as he's not too excellent in his codex yet I've come to ask the aid of the members here. He just got a monolith for x-mas and broke that bad boy out today, but out came a bunch of questions from this match:

1. When deepstriking, how many weapons are allowed to fire? In general how many weapons are allowed to fire? I remember reading somewhere that it can only chose to fire one of it's two weapons?

2. I remembered hearing about the template having an ap1 effect to the model under the template, but he couldn't find it in his codex. That is true correct? And does it in fact single out the exact model under the template, or just cause a wound that the receiving player may allocate?

3. erm...actually I think that's all right now, all that I can think of. Too tired...(edit: nope, I finally remembered) Aha, Flux arc thingy. When it fires D6 shots, does it do this for each unit separately, or do you roll D6 once and all units within range are hit that amount?
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2010, 03:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Trying to figure out monoliths

1. Can fire one weapon. Both are offensive weapons. Or it's because the Particle whip is ordinance or something. See the Necron FAQ on the GW website.

2. Check page 14 of the Necron codex for rules on the Particle Whip.

3. Roll a D6 for each unit separately.

Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2010, 13:56   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I use monoliths myself and I recommend getting the latest FaQ from the GW site as it better explains more of the Monoliths rules.

1/ As grindgobble said the Lith can fire the particle whip or the arc flux, but not both on the same turn. The Particle whip fires through the flux arc guns, and so it's range is measured from the corner guns and not the big crystal which is a common error i've found (covered in Necron FaQ)

2/ If there is a model under the centre of the template then the unit suffers an AP1 hit which can be assigned to any model in the unit being hit like any other wound allocation, this is covered in the FaQ and means the monolith can deal an AP1 hit to a unit or vehicle, but cannot be used to "snipe" individual units in a squad.

3/As grindobble said roll a D6 per unit in range, remember to modify it for any weapon disabled results the monolith cannot suffer a weapon destroyed like other vehicles instead it gets a -1 modifier to each Arc Flux roll for each weapon destroyed and the Particle whip can never be destroyed or disabled until the Monolith itself is dead dead dead and therefore can fire in any turn where the portal or arc flux isn't being used regardless of shaken/stunned/immobilised etc etc etc.
Koll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2010, 13:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

actually if you read the necron monolith thing properly. you actually get plus one for every weapon destroyed result... (he he he)

"inflicted on the monolith reduces the number of shots at each target by -1

[img width=650 height=508]http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz168/Almostairsoft1/theredharvest.png[/img]

cj dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2010, 14:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj dj
actually if you read the necron monolith thing properly. you actually get plus one for every weapon destroyed result... (he he he)

Pardon? I have to say that your most incorrect in your statement here.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2010, 14:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindgobble Witherfume
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj dj

Pardon? I have to say that your most incorrect in your statement here.
Mathematically, he's actually correct. Reducing something by -1 actually increases it by 1.

However, Games Workshop have always used the phrase "reduce by -1" to mean "deduct 1" for as long as I can remember, so despite how much it annoys me as a mathematician, it means "deduct 1" for all intents and purposes in Games Workshop games.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2010, 00:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thanks for coming to my rescue masked thespian
is there an faq fixing that?

[img width=650 height=508]http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz168/Almostairsoft1/theredharvest.png[/img]

Old 28 Feb 2010, 07:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

No. Games Workshop have never stated that there is a problem with the way they say things like that. It is only over the course of reading their rulebooks for the past 16 years that I've come to recognise their writing style and foibles.

Games Workshop do not employ mathematicians to write their books for them so you cannot use mathematical thinking when trying to work out their grammar and syntax. Whilst you and I know that deducting a negative number adds it, your average person reading that sentence will generally not question the syntax with regard to mathematical operations and will read it as "deduct 1" instead, as Games Workshop intended.

If you took a RAW approach to it, you could argue the point that each Weapon Destroyed result increases the number of shots taken by the Gauss Arc, but only the most hardline RAW judge would rule in your favour and you would not make any friends in the process of doing so.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2010, 11:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yea i have a tournament coming up and thinking of completely making a cheese list like that because people that come to this tournament are power gamers

Old 02 Mar 2010, 18:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Also note, the particle whip is fired as a result of the power matrix. The power matrix is not a weapon, and cannot be disabled, as some hopeful enemies may think.