Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Unusual Necron paint schemes
Old 02 Jan 2010, 18:03   #21 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Unusual Necron paint schemes

I just got a new camera for festivus, so I can finally show everyone my necron paint scheme I'd like to include that I frown upon stolen ideas, so please don't copy this scheme, but by all means use it to improve or develop your own.

After losing the power matrix crystal and replacing it with a gold time turner I realized how well gold worked with the purple and chainmail. This was all before the washes came out, so I started by priming everything black, so that i could dry brush the chainmail. Unfortunately, purple doesn't come out so brilliant on black and painting it white first leaves smears, so I went with foundation grey (which was brand new at the time)

I guess the biggest issue with the time turner is that the writing is in English. I'm still trying to resolve that fluff-wise :-P
Old 02 Jan 2010, 18:23   #22 (permalink)
Shas'El

Cool army there! As you can see (Looking to the left), I am also a fan of purple necrons. I am guessing that is liche purple? Warlock purple works great as a highlight and will make the purple on your 'crons look a bit less flat.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2010, 18:55   #23 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks hmm, i'll have to consider that. I'm terrible with highlights, but I'll give it a shot
Old 02 Jan 2010, 20:34   #24 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by WintermuteSwarm
Thanks hmm, i'll have to consider that. I'm terrible with highlights, but I'll give it a shot
Easy peasy. Just use a thin brush and go along the edges of the armour. Makes them pop and thus gives the more dimension. Not hard to do, but can be terribly tedious lol. What I've done with my purple armour on my necrons is drybrush liche purple over black, drybrush warlock purple over that, then go over the edges with warlock purple. The drybrushes are not as intense as full-out painting on the colours, much more muted, so using straight warlock edging shows up nicely over the drybrushes and don't normally look too intense.
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03 Jan 2010, 15:08   #25 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindgobble Witherfume
Quote:
Originally Posted by WintermuteSwarm
Easy peasy. Just use a thin brush and go along the edges of the armour. Makes them pop and thus gives the more dimension. Not hard to do, but can be terribly tedious lol. What I've done with my purple armour on my necrons is drybrush liche purple over black, drybrush warlock purple over that, then go over the edges with warlock purple. The drybrushes are not as intense as full-out painting on the colours, much more muted, so using straight warlock edging shows up nicely over the drybrushes and don't normally look too intense.
I just tried out my new scheme and found I am terrible at highlighting but I have a few other techniques to get the effect to try so it hasn't put me off. And I have found where to get my Red rods from
Old 03 Jan 2010, 15:36   #26 (permalink)
Shas'El

That sounds good. I find that it helps to go basecoat->first highlights->second highlight->Edging.

For example, my necrons go black->Liche Purple drybrush->Warlock Purple drybrush->Warlock purple edges. If I were to do a metallic scheme, I may go black, Boltgun, Chainmail/Mithril, chainmail/mithril. I am not to familiar with the different metallic so I would need to buy then all and test it out. Generally Its good to choose a colour then get two or three shades/tones/tints of it. Like if you want blue, buy a whole bunch of blues, or one darker and one lighter then the colour you like.

Just make sure with drybrushes to make sure there is very little paint on the brush, and with the final highlights make sure the paint is not too thick. May take some practice, but generally helps make things pop.

I have considered different colored rods (Yellow), but I am not sure how easy it is to remove them once they are already glued in.
Sigged.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03 Jan 2010, 15:54   #27 (permalink)
Shas'El

Removing them is really easy, I've done it plenty of times.

Just grab the bit of the gun with the rod and bend it away from the green rod like...

||( ||=Green rod (= plastic

THat won't damage the gun but will loose it from one end (preferably the end) then just lever it out.
Old 09 Jan 2010, 13:08   #28 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

*Not my painting here

I use a slightly modified version of this scheme for my necrons, the shoulderpads on mine are hawk turquoise with an ice blue edging and the chest plate is also hawk turquoise with the symbol in shining gold. I've also kept the green rods for the guns. I wanted an egyptian style set of colours for my army and it looks quite effective on the tabletop.

Also WintermuteSwarm the timer thing on your monolith looks class, nice bit of improv
Koll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2010, 14:22   #29 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koll
*Not my painting here

I use a slightly modified version of this scheme for my necrons, the shoulderpads on mine are hawk turquoise with an ice blue edging and the chest plate is also hawk turquoise with the symbol in shining gold. I've also kept the green rods for the guns. I wanted an egyptian style set of colours for my army and it looks quite effective on the tabletop.

Also WintermuteSwarm the timer thing on your monolith looks class, nice bit of improv
That is the one i am going for.

I have a rough version of that on my desk right now as well.
Old 09 Jan 2010, 18:28   #30 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Here's a pic of the scheme i'm using. Don't judge the quality too harshly as i'm speed painting my whole army to play with it, i'll go back and do the bases and touchups after i've got all 2000 points up to basic TT quality.

Koll is offline   Reply With Quote