Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Irate brother plays Necrons.... What the hell is going on here?
Old 20 Dec 2009, 22:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Location: Stuck on some desert planet in the middle of nowhere
Default Irate brother plays Necrons.... What the hell is going on here?

The old scarab swarms were cute. These look like something a five year old drew that happened to get published. If they're trying to phase out the poor scarab swarms and replace them with these mini-defilers then we're going to have to hoard our current ones.

Someone tell me it's an error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Chtzi dua ryu ruo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2009, 22:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Irate brother plays Necrons.... What the hell is going on here?

Ummm...

The ones in the picture are the old ones, the 'cute' ones are the new ones.
Old 20 Dec 2009, 22:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Those look like the original Scarabs, as packaged in the old Necron Warrior box set and released circa UK White Dwarf... 217 or so. You got 5 metal Warriors and 2 metal Scarabs in the set. The Scarabs acted independently and usually blew themselves up whilst attached to enemy vehicles to destroy them.

Where did you get the photo from? It looks like someone took the old models (that originally had no bases included) and put them on a 40mm base so they could be used in the current gaming environment.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2009, 22:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ahh yea Unholy is right, those are the old ones that in the fluff used to grab on to enemy tanks then explode!
Cute little critters, but agree that the new ones are less... cliche 80's sci fi movie.
Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2009, 22:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The old ones sound great to play!

Does GW still have their rules anywhere?
Old 20 Dec 2009, 22:24   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Yep. Those are the old ones. No pictures of any new Necron models yet that I am aware of.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2009, 22:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Harbinger
Does GW still have their rules anywhere?
You'd be three editions out of date, Unholy. The original Necron Raiders were produced about a year or so before 2nd Edition 40k was replaced by 3rd Edition and the changes between the two editions makes the old rules completely unusable. Just to give you an example, WBB worked in a similar manner to how it does now, but rolling a 1 was the equivalent of rolling a 1-3 now, a 6 was the equivalent of rolling a 4-6 now, and rolling a 2-5 meant you left the model on the table and rolled again next turn.

The only way to get the rules, if you were still interested, would likely be by getting that particular White Dwarf second hand. I'll see if I can dig out the actual one and let you know the issue number if you'd like.
[hr]
Old 20 Dec 2009, 22:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks MT
The prospect of sticking one to a tank and exploding it is just too good to let slip.
Old 20 Dec 2009, 22:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah... but you'll have to break out your DnD dice to do it. Amongst other things, Armour Penetration rolls in 2nd Edition required d4s, d6s, d8s, d10s, d12s and d20s...

One moment whilst I go find the issue in question: I'll edit it into this post when I find it.

[hr]

Edit: Okay, here we go.

The Necron Raiders box set was released in UK White Dwarf 217. Included in that issue are rules for the Warriors and the Scarabs. Contrary to my previous memories, these Scarabs don't blow up (See later for those) but instead reduced accuracy and Armour values of the vehicles they stuck to.

UK White Dwarf 218 had the Necron Lord and Necron Destroyer models released, and the rules for them were included there too.

UK White Dwarf 220 had a small article on constructing suitable Necron terrain. You probably don't really need this one.

Finally, UK White Dwarf 230 had the rules updating the old Necron rules to 3rd Edition. Now, these rules are theoretically compatible with 5th Edition (as seen via Dark Eldar, Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters) so you've got a good chunk of the work needed to update the old rules done for you. These Scarabs were the ones that exploded to very amusing effect (basically they were Strength 3 Melta Bombs ).

UK White Dwarf 217 has the picture from the 5th Edition Warhammer Fantasy Chaos box set on the cover (with an old, weedy Archaon in the middle) though the lower left corner was taken up by a black and grey box saying "FREE Metal Necron Citadel Miniature".

UK White Dwarf 218 has a mostly green cover, though the right side is off-white with blue writing on it.

UK White Dwarf 220 has a High Elf picture on the front cover, with a blue bar with yellow writing on it down the left side of the cover.

UK White Dwarf 230 has the original 3rd Edition Codex: Chaos Space Marines cover on it. It's mostly red (with a bald head in the middle) and "Despair, for the time of Chaos is upon you" in the upper right hand side.

I've included the cover descriptions to help you find them if you look for them.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for taking the time to look these up. +1 - Khanaris
[hr]
Old 20 Dec 2009, 22:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Not only that but the old scarabs (and Necrons in general) were freaking broken. Necron warriors cost a ludicrous amount of points, but they were well worth the points they were so bad.

Exploding vehicles was only one of the things scarabs could do.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote