Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

Swept Unit & WBB
Reply
Old 14 Dec 2009, 16:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,645
Default Swept Unit & WBB

I played my Necrons for the first time in a year and a half and had something come up, thinking I did this right. I had a unit of Warriors get shot at and one Warrior went down, able to WBB. That unit was then assaulted by an Avatar (guess who won?), and was subsequently swept.

Now, the one Warrior who went down to shooting I left there and then later made a WBB roll, he was eligible for it, and joined him to the nearest Warrior unit, the unit that let him make his WBB. Did I do this right or in a case like this would that Warrior have been removed with his unit? I'm thinking I was correct since WBB says the downed models are ignored for coherency rules and are seen as 'debris'.
__________________
Thor{DoH} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2009, 18:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,814
Default Re: Swept Unit & WBB

IIRC, if you are swept it's effectively destroyed.

Disclaimer- I haven't been able to play against a Necron player for a few months now am getting a tad rusty on their rules finer points. :P
__________________


Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2009, 18:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Now, or I release the scarabs!
Posts: 2,609
Default Re: Swept Unit & WBB

Tricky one...

The necrons alive when swept are definately dead but the guy before is a different matter. Technically he is ignored and so he was't in the sweeping advance so I would play it as long as there is another like model in 6" he is allowed.
__________________
[img width=650 height=87]http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv216/shakey_aj/Imperialnecrons.jpg[/img]
Visit 'Unholy's log of war!' for all my latest modelling stuff!
Unholy Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2009, 21:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southlake, Texas
Posts: 1,243
Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Re: Swept Unit & WBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
I played my Necrons for the first time in a year and a half and had something come up, thinking I did this right. I had a unit of Warriors get shot at and one Warrior went down, able to WBB. That unit was then assaulted by an Avatar (guess who won?), and was subsequently swept.

Now, the one Warrior who went down to shooting I left there and then later made a WBB roll, he was eligible for it, and joined him to the nearest Warrior unit, the unit that let him make his WBB. Did I do this right or in a case like this would that Warrior have been removed with his unit? I'm thinking I was correct since WBB says the downed models are ignored for coherency rules and are seen as 'debris'.
The thing about downed necrons, is that they aren't part of the unit when they are dead. The are DEAD. They don't count for anything, they are entirely ignored for game purposes, but they do get back up and join the origonal unit. If that unit is destroyed, then they join the closest one. Yes you did it right, but that is a tricky situation. Even if that warrior was killed in CC, he could still get back up.
__________________
VS Droids: W24/L24/T10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2009, 21:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,958
Default Re: Swept Unit & WBB

As it was explained to me the last time this came up, when a Necron unit is destroyed in a sweeping advance, all models in that unit (down or standing) are scattered and removed from play. If the last one falls down before the sweeping advance can occur, then the fallen ones can make WBB rolls and join another unit if there is one nearby. Yes, it's completely nonsensical, but that's what happens when you apply new rules to a very old codex.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2009, 22:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southlake, Texas
Posts: 1,243
Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Re: Swept Unit & WBB

knightperson. You said 2 different things
Quote:
all models in that unit (down or standing) are scattered and removed from play
And
Quote:
If the last one falls down before the sweeping advance can occur, then the fallen ones can make WBB rolls
:P
__________________
VS Droids: W24/L24/T10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2009, 12:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,958
Default Re: Swept Unit & WBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveFleetGoliath
knightperson. You said 2 different things
Quote:
all models in that unit (down or standing) are scattered and removed from play
And
Quote:
If the last one falls down before the sweeping advance can occur, then the fallen ones can make WBB rolls
:P
Well, yes. two different things from two different situations.

Situation one: the Necrons lose combat, but there are models left standing. Roll for sweeping advance, which will probably succeed. All models in the squad are destroyed and can not join another unit.

Situation two: the Necrons lose combat to a massacre; all warriors are knocked down in melee, either by normal attacks or by power weapons with a nearby rez orb. No sweeping advance occurs because there are no Necrons left standing. In this case the models that fell can roll for WBB and join another unit.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2009, 14:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 156
Default Re: Swept Unit & WBB

Although damaged Necrons are ignored for purposes of NORMAL game play, they are still considered part of the unit (how else would the damaged models get ported through the Monolith?). Thus, the fallen warrior is lost with the rest of the swept unit.
__________________
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.
TheGreatAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2009, 12:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,645
Default Re: Swept Unit & WBB

Hmm...I had not thought about it that way. I believe you're right, TheGreatAvatar.
__________________
Thor{DoH} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2009, 18:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The States
Posts: 2,212
Default Re: Swept Unit & WBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatAvatar
Although damaged Necrons are ignored for purposes of NORMAL game play, they are still considered part of the unit (how else would the damaged models get ported through the Monolith?). Thus, the fallen warrior is lost with the rest of the swept unit.
That's how it is. Their poor wording aside that's how it works. =p
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Farseer and Warlock Unit: Do they count as a single unit? Jedibean Craftworld Eldar 6 21 Apr 2010 06:58
[Infinity] Ariadna Svalarheima Recon Unit, Yu Jing Tactical assassination Unit. Jeff Project Logs 95 09 Mar 2010 22:25
Unit by Unit: How I play mech tau onlainari Tau 2 29 Aug 2005 10:16
Tau Tactica: Facing New Tyranids Unit by Unit Muddy Tau 17 02 Jun 2005 19:17
The path to Tau'va - Unit by Unit JarredHTG Tau 15 09 Nov 2004 01:23