Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What next?
Old 13 Dec 2009, 20:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to demitriusnassy
Default What next?

Hello all! ;D I am very sorry that I've been away from you all. But in that time I have expanded my necron army quite a lot. I am now looking for some advice on my next purchase. Recently I have been playing tournament games around my local gaming clubs and guilds and have run into one problem. Objective gaming. Most players I have played run using their transports for tournament games, while my necrons are stuck slagging their way across the board to objectives. The usual tactic, since vehicles can contest (heated discussions aside please and thank you ;D) the tank shock half way though my warriors parked on objectives and use that to knock off my objectives, while I am too slow to be able to take the enemy's from them, even with deep striking units. The units that I can use to take these objectives are my main priority for my next buy. My army currently is as follows.

HQ
One foot lord model
WIP Destroyer Lord

Elites
One unit of Immortals

Troops
50 Warriors (and thats it :P)

Fast Attack
8 Destroyers
17 scarab bases

Heavy Support
2 Monoliths
Tomb Spyder

I am also looking for any tactics people may have discovered with 5th edition, and if so please share. I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for anymore dirty tricks we can play with our metallic (and sometimes non-metallic) hided friends. ;D Thank you all!

DN

"You dare stand against the might of the millenia and the number of the dead?"

"..." zap. "..."
demitriusnassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2009, 21:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: What next?

Pretty nice list if I may say so!

I would add a unit of heavy destroyers for antitank.

Tactics you get the old veil of darkness immortals who deepstrike places and fire trashing weak units.

Also a nice fun tactic is a maxed out squad of scarabs with a lord equipped with warsytche, destroyer body, Lightening field. Not only are you hitting hard anyway the enemy gets a hit back for every wound caused it is highly effective particularly against squishy armies like guard.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 21:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to demitriusnassy

Ain't that the truth! ;D I love my scarabs. They have proved to be a very useful unit, saving me severalk games simply because they look weak and pitiful. But anyways, Heavy Destroyers would probably help a little bit, wiping those transports out early on. I was also thinking about adding the Deciever to my list.

One tactic I've found useful is the necron shuffle, where you continuously teleport around and rapid fire for those not knowing what that is.

While here, I need a rules clarification. I've always used the small blast template for my 'lith, since it only says "blast" like a SM frag missile. Now the other day i met another cron player and he wanted to argue on the matter that it used a large blast. I am not big on arguing so I just kept playing my game, however I'd like to know. Thanks
DN

"You dare stand against the might of the millenia and the number of the dead?"

"..." zap. "..."
demitriusnassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2009, 22:01   #4 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Unless I'm mistaken, it is an Ordnance weapon, correct? Unless otherwise noted, Ordnance always uses the large blast
Also, for mobility, why not try deep striking Flayed Ones to take out or contest enemy objectives? That or using your Lord with a Veil to take a squad of warriors and or deepstrike a Monolith and next turn teleporting warriors to objectives?
Old 13 Dec 2009, 22:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Monolith is large blast and always has been! Small blast would really suck!

Scarabs are life savers. I frustrated a guardsplayer so much as I was having them attacking tanks right in the middle of his line (disruption fields) that he used EVERY squad to assault it sure it wiped the scarabs out but they took plenty with em and had bunched up the enemy nicely for a pieplate and manouvering uints into a fire arc.

They have also held back bezerkers for 4 turns before now killing quite a few that was very handy.

My favourite has to be four scarab bases wiping out an eldar dark reaper squad and a pathfinder squad, the look on my opponents face said it all.

Scarabs are a suprisingly good unit.

EDIT: I really fancy doing a scarab spam army. Put down 3 maxed out squads and set the loose around the table top with a lightening field lord.
Old 14 Dec 2009, 07:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
Unless I'm mistaken, it is an Ordnance weapon, correct? Unless otherwise noted, Ordnance always uses the large blast
Also, for mobility, why not try deep striking Flayed Ones to take out or contest enemy objectives? That or using your Lord with a Veil to take a squad of warriors and or deepstrike a Monolith and next turn teleporting warriors to objectives?
Whoa, hold the phone. To be clear the rule "Ordnance" does not mean it automatically uses the large blast marker. Ordnance merely denotes a special rule vs. vehicles, whereas the old "Ordnance blast" would be the large blast marker.

Fortunately for you guys, the Monolith does shoot a Large blast though.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2009, 07:45   #7 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
Whoa, hold the phone. To be clear the rule "Ordnance" does not mean it automatically uses the large blast marker. Ordnance merely denotes a special rule vs. vehicles, whereas the old "Ordnance blast" would be the large blast marker.

Fortunately for you guys, the Monolith does shoot a Large blast though.
I'd like to quote page 58 of the BRB
Quote:
Ordnance weapons:Unless their profile specifies otherwise, all ordnance blast weapons use the large bast marker
This was what I was referring to, I'd had to look the rule up a little while ago for discussion in the "What do you want to see in the next codex?" thread. I was aware that the Monolith said Ordnance Blast, so therefore it uses the Large Blast
Old 14 Dec 2009, 07:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
I'd like to quote page 58 of the BRB
Quote:
Ordnance weapons:Unless their profile specifies otherwise,all ordnance blast weapons use the large blast marker
This was what I was referring to, I'd had to look the rule up a little while ago for discussion in the "What do you want to see in the next codex?" thread. I was aware that the Monolith said Ordnance Blast, so therefore it uses the Large Blast
If anyone else sees the irony in this, you may laugh as I did when I read PNW's reply. ;D

Edit/Errata/Clarification- PNW, your post this is in response to is saying exactly what I did, before. The post you originally made left out the crucial blast portion of the text, which is why I stepped in to make sure there were no mis-communication in case anyone passing by saw that. ordnance on it's own does not denote blast status, it's for the additional AP rules on page 60. Ordnance blast means the large blast + Ordnance rule for the codices that use the term.

Old 14 Dec 2009, 09:21   #9 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Right, and since it is blatantly clear that the Monolith shoots a blast weapon, I figured people could infer that it was an Ordnance Blast weapon. I felt it had already been established that we were discussing an Ordnance Blast attack, and did not need to reassert that in my original post. Since the Monolith entry does not say it uses a Small Bast Marker, it defaults to a Large Blast Marker, which was what I was saying in my first post.
You are correct in saying that the Ordnance rule does not automatically mean Large Blast, but you are wrong in the assumption that I was implying that it does
Old 14 Dec 2009, 17:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
Right, and since it is blatantly clear that the Monolith shoots a blast weapon, I figured people could infer that it was an Ordnance Blast weapon. I felt it had already been established that we were discussing an Ordnance Blast attack, and did not need to reassert that in my original post. Since the Monolith entry does not say it uses a Small Bast Marker, it defaults to a Large Blast Marker, which was what I was saying in my first post.
You are correct in saying that the Ordnance rule does not automatically mean Large Blast, but you are wrong in the assumption that I was implying that it does
I was making it clear to anyone who may have been reading that the Ordnance rule did not necessarily mean it was a large blast. I never wrote anything else and nothing can be inferred pointing to that from what I've written. I was just correcting a slip on your part, not assuming you did that on purpose. :