Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Are Necrons for me?
Old 26 Nov 2009, 15:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Are Necrons for me?

hey I finished my orks army and i'm bored of them so i'm gonna get something that can team with orks in apocalypse battles, and i saw necrons and I know they are insanely tough (or seem to be) the question is, are they for me?

I need people to convince me that Necrons are for me, not CSM

EDIT: also are necrons the cheapest way to go? Because I live on 30 a week :'(

ANOTHER EDIT: It just came to me, any tactics to "defeating" necrons? i always lose against them with orks, I always get hammered by his destroyers to take out my heavy stuff then he uses warriors to kill tons of boyz NEED HELP!!!
Jasonsea212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2009, 16:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Are Necrons for me?

When you don't use the normal lists (stand and shoot) necrons are fun.

My new favourite thing is a lord with a veil of darkness and immortals. You can have a hard hitting squad move using deep strike every turn and fire the enemy. It is very fun and effective. Or a squad of sacrabs with a lord and lightning field as for every unsaved wounds they get a hit back.

Also I have 2500 points on 25 a month. :-[

Necrons are the most points per effective army there. Even more when 20 warriors can become 10 immortals and 10 flayed ones with little effort.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 17:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Oh cool thanks for that, but you still haven't told me how to overcome battles against necrons ;D

Any starting points you reccomend or just go for battleforce like almost everyone tries to do?
Old 26 Nov 2009, 21:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

To overcome necrons you must always concentrate on focussing fire. You must eliminate entire squads at a time picking those off with no like models in 6". Target priority is also key and knowing whether it bbetter to go right for phaseout or to eliminate threats first. If you tell me what exactly is your biggest problem i can help more.

for 1000 points i run a:

Lord with VoD
10 immortals (converted from warriors x 20 but also gives me 10 flayed ones)
20 warriors
with 200 points to spend on what you like (normally destroyers)

Necrons become much more feective at 1500 and up where you can bring in much more variety in units for instance in that extra 500 points i can add in another warrior squad then a monolith or a scarb with d.fields (really fun anti tank).

When you use a monolith remember that the particle whip is not its primary use you should be using it to move warriors and other units out of bad situations like combat into a more tactical position. A good trick to do is have the monolith follow a warrior squad at 6-10" then if the enemy assualt the warriors teleport them out and through the monolith before rapid firing them.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 21:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ah thanks heres my list that I run for now... (not very good I know but please don't comment on it)

Ghazhkull Thraka - 225

24 choppa Boyz, 2 BS - 154

24 choppa Boyz, 2 BS - 154

Warboss with Power klaw, Eavy armour and bosspole - 95

2 Looted Wagons, 1 with boomgun and the other with skorcha (used for transporting ghazhkull and burna boyz) - 195

5 Burna boyz - 75

and 5 Deffkoptas with TL rokkits - 225

This adds up to about 1'000

I don't know exactly what my opponent fields but he loves his warriors and destroyers, when i decided to team up with a friend for 2'000 pts, his Nightbringer was a monster and had a monolith blasting everything away and destroyers, once again blowing away my heavy support and deffkoptas

also what is VoD?

EDIT: I saw that you converted your Immortals and Flayed ones, how did you do that? as in how to get the bigger guns or whatever they use :P
Old 26 Nov 2009, 22:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

A VoD is a 'veil of darkness' it allaws the lord and one necron unit withing 6" to reneter play during the moemnt phas eusing deepstrike. It can do this every turn and when coupled with a high fire power unti you have an instant stike force where you can pop starategic unit of your enemy no matter where they hide.

I don't know much about orks. But you need to eliminate destroyers first. Your opponent doesn't seem to grasp the proper monolith function so once the destroyers are popped use a high power unti (power klaws and the like) to take out the monolith and the C'tan (ctan last as it can turn into a suicide unit when assualting it :P). once they are gon drop the lord and the rest will follow quickly. if he uses a lith at 1000 points he is a complete idiot just ignore the monolith and do as i said earlier focussing fire on entire warrior squads wipingthem (and their WBB) forcing a quick phaseout.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 22:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Harbinger
if he uses a lith at 1000 points he is a complete idiot just ignore the monolith
I didn't say he used lith at 1000 points, he's only used lith once and thats when it was that 2'000 points battle

EDIT: you still haven't told me how you did your conversions, :P
Old 26 Nov 2009, 22:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Woops sorry!

Ah he is more sensible than I thought.

The warriors->immortals requires you to remove the top of one gauss flayed including handle and the bottom of another (keeping the handle on the gun) and turning the bit holdig the green rod upside down and sticking them together. I followed a very nice guide that I will try and find for you in just a minute. It takes practice to get it right.

The flayed ones are easier where you cut the fingers of class out of plasticard and stick three together into one claw and attach it where the necrons hands shoudl be. Then using greenstuff make it into a flat sheet and tear of bits and drape them on the necron to show the skin of the victim.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 10:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Oh cool, can you stick the hyperlink onto this please? I wanna see how it's done
Old 27 Nov 2009, 18:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

There!

But when i did it i didn't do any of the extra stuff i just did the gun.