Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

3000 points for an upcoming campaign
Old 30 Oct 2009, 06:59   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 3000 points for an upcoming campaign

i have been playing around with some lists, but so far this one seems the best from what i have got:

HQ:355
Lord
Res Orb, Veil of Darkness
Lord
Res Orb, Phylactery

Troops:1800
20x Warriors
20x Warriors
20x Warriors
20x Warriors
20x Warriors
20x Warriors

Fast Attack:373
3x Wraiths
5x Destroyers

Heavy Support: 470
Monolith
Monolith

TOTAL:2998

now im relatively new to the game, i have only played like... 3 games before max and i have lost every single one but this seems manageable for me

what do you think?
j00ze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2009, 16:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: 3000 points for an upcoming campaign

dunno wether you are allowed to post specific points costs..

and a 3k point game when you're new to the game will be tough in my opinion, you lack all the strategic experience that is required. Maybe you should try a few more small games before you dive into the big ones.

Anyway, I think, for a 3k points game, you should take some more immortals/flayed ones/Heavy des, just to counter some special troops. Don't know what you are facing, but warriors get whiped in CC when you are facing 3k points chaos, and you will get whooped by eldar with this list. Just some small thoughts
Sjoerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2009, 23:33   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

oh, i didnt even think of that, ill fix it, i only have 8 flayed ones and one H destroyer so i didnt really think it was worth it....
thanks for the advice tho ill see if i can wheedle him down to 2000 :P
Old 31 Oct 2009, 03:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

While you're just beginning you should stick to around 1250 - 1500 points. Anywhere below 1000 points and necrons are severely limited. The size of the game really doesn't matter, it's better to understand the basic rules and fundamentals before you worry about throwing everything you have on the board.

With regards to your list I would say take a little of everything. Learn where certain units succeed and fail and what fits your playstyle. What all do you have in your army? And what does your opponent mainly play? These details will help us give advice that is specific to your situation.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 07:36   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

well my mate realised he can make a 3000 point eldar aspect warrior list, including an avatar, ill try get the exact list off him.
so im using the combined forces of my, and 2 of my friends necrons which total to: 161 warriors, 2 monoliths, one pariah, one immortal, 8 flayed ones, one tomb spyder, about 30 scarab swarms, 4 wraiths, 15 destroyers, one heavy destroyer, one nightbringer, one (or 2) destroyer lord, 5 lords
Old 31 Oct 2009, 11:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

My suggestion would be to simply lower the point value of the game. A 1250 point game will allow you to further develop your understanding of the game and still give you a variety of units to work with.

Based off the units you have available, I've written up a 1250 list that is balanced and diverse. It is a list that suits my playstyle, which is to use the army as a machine with different pieces working together rather than focusing on a single strongpoint. It's not the only way or necessarily the right way but it's my way to write a list. I feel this will show you what units work well together and the roles of those specific units. I'll go through my list and give a play-by-play of how I would implement it.

Necron 1250 Point

HQ

Necron Lord - Resurrection Orb - 140
This is your typical support character. The Necron Lord isn't particularly good at either shooting or assaulting, his main purpose is to make the rest of your army more effective. The resurrection orb simply increases the life span of your troops. The necrons main advantage is our incredible staying power and resilience, if the enemy can take this away from us we have nothing left. This is an almost guaranteed way to get a WBB roll which will insure that our advantage stays in our hands and cannot be stripped away. When I build my necron lord I don't think offensive or defensive, I think support.

Elites

6 Flayed Ones - 108
Personally, I am a big fan of Flayed Ones. Others may disagree saying they aren't worth it because of their fairly high price tag for only 2 attacks and lack of power weapons or rending. Since 5th edition Flayed Ones have become ten times more effective, why? Simple, it's because of outflank. Normally necrons rely on their resilience to get them through the battle, shrugging off shots that would normally kill a space marine out right. Flayed Ones require a little more finesse to use because they will often be deployed on their own in the heart of enemy territory. Use them to focus on enemy units that can cause great damage on the approaching necron force. Examples of this would be Devastators, Lootas, Imperial Guard heavy weapons teams, and even Dark Reapers. Unit's that depend on long range will normally be stationary at the back of the board to provide cover for their companions. Assaulting the backline will not only spare your force from an onslaught of heavy weapons fire but will also eliminate your opponents long range support.

Troops

12 Necron Warriors - 216
12 Necron Warriors - 216
The heart and soul (or lack there of) of your army. Tough, resilient, and essential. While somewhat expensive for a troops choice necron warriors are the cornerstone of the necron machine. Simply put, maximize their effectiveness by increasing their survivability. Keep your Necron Lord close at hand (preferably within one of the squad) to make use of the resurrection orb. Also keep a tomb spyder nearby to increase the range and limitations of WBB and, if need be, add some close combat power.

Fast Attack

3 Wraiths - 123
Extremely fast and very hard hitting. Wraiths are an absolutely fantastic assault unit. They can move through any terrain, have a high strength, high initiative, and a decent number of attacks. Some people don't like the fact that they don't have power weapons or rending, but could you imagine the potential point cost of a unit that could move 24" through any terrain, strike at strength and initiative 6, and ignore terrain? We would be looking at an 80+ point model. Use these in the same manner as flayed ones, they have what the flayed ones don't; reliance. With the wraith's speed it is very easy to determine when and where assaults will occur. Use them to hit those heavy weapons teams in the back that the flayed ones couldn't reach, or depending on the situation assault a unit that is blocking the path of the main necron advance. With wraith's I have one general rule: Unless the situation absolutely depends on it, I will not send the wraith's into fight I don't believe they can win.

5 Destroyers - 250
Very fast and absolutely amazing guns. The key here is to avoid assaults like the plague and make use of those strength 6 weapons. A few tips here, if at all possible deploy the destroyers out of sight and use their movement to jump out when the situation reveals itself, don't just deploy already in line of sight hoping you get the first turn. Also, use true line of sight to your advantage. Maximize your target selection while minimizing the enemy's retaliation opportunities. Eliminate targets entirely while preserving your own lifespan. That brings me to my last point about destroyers. Use their maximum range. 36" is a really good range, especially for a unit that can move 12" and still fire. Too often I've seen people rush their destroyers within 18" thinking that the closer they are the more they will hit. To avoid assaults stay out of assault range, while avoiding assaults maintain shooting range by being within 36". There's lots of leeway here so it's really not that hard to do.

6 Scarab Swarms - 72
Their objective is simple. Rush the enemy, make use of those 2+ cover saves they can acquire, and tie up enemy units that you either don't want to give the opportunity to launch an assault or you want to get within rapid fire range. Either way the job is simple. Survive until you assault, and then pick the target that will either hinder your plans by simply existing or will destroy you with force. Examples of these would be tactical squads, aspects such as Dire Avengers, Fire Warriors etc. Target priority is key.

Heavy Support

1 Tomb Spyder - 55
Like the Lord the Tomb Spyder is a support unit. It will increase the range and criteria of WBB which can then increase the survivability of your warriors. Use the spyder to discourage enemy assaults by keeping it close to your warrior squads. Being a monstrous creature the Tomb Spyder ignores armour saves and has a decent number of attacks to begin with. Further bolster your by creating scarabs in the assault phase to increase your close combat abilities. This makes your warriors more of a threat in assault and gives your opponents more units to go through before they can cause a phase out. Read the rules carefully on Tomb Spyders as they are a little complicated, if you are unsure of anything please feel free to ask here on TO.

1 Heavy Destroyer - 65
Many people question the merit of having a single loan heavy destroyer, but I figure when you need that one high powered shot you might as well have something that can deliver. This unit is a lesson in target priority. Consider the threat's your opponent has to offer, a tank is a nice target, but a squishy independent character can be just as tasty. That one high powered shot can mean the difference between a tie and a victory. Taking down a single independent character is worth a kill point, taking down a transport such as a rhino is worth a kill point. While it is true that a single heavy destroyer is a tempting target in a kill point match many opponents will underestimate its staying power and will focus vast quantities of forepower to gain that 'easy point'. By following the same rules as the destroyers you can increase survivability by never exposing yourself and only allowing your target to see you. The key to not getting shot is to not be seen, try your best at this and you will see the destructive power of a heavy destroyer.

Wow, I've really ranted on for a long time there. Hopefully that gave you a few tips that you will find useful. Keep in mind that this is how I play my army and is by no means the definitive way to play. Experiment for yourself and find what really works for your playstyle, and if you have any questions please feel free to bring them up here.

Just to recap, here's the list again so you don't have to search through the entire post.

HQ
Necron Lord - Resurrection Orb - 140

Elites
6 Flayed Ones - 108

Troops
12 Warriors - 216
12 Warriors - 216

Fast Attack
3 Wraiths - 123
5 Destroyers - 250
6 Scarab Swarms - 72

Heavy Support
1 Tomb Spyder - 55
1 Heavy Destroyer - 65

Total: 1245
Phase Out: 10
Old 31 Oct 2009, 11:43   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

hmmm sounds good to me, i learnt my lesson about keeping my destroyers out of sight in my first game hahah. i deployed them right at the front cos i had no idea what i was doing and i thought they looked cool. they all died before it was my first turn :P

i kind of liked the idea of having a lord with res orb and VoD with a maxed out warrior unit so i can kind of get as close as i can, rapid fire, so thats what, 43 shots? then run away with the veil of darkness. is that feasible?

also i was keen to get my monolith in as some support to give my warriors (or other "necrons") a second WBB roll. the only game i used a monolith in it got destroyed before my first turn by...... a predator tank i think. so i didnt really get to use it much then haha

so a small unit of flayed ones, in your opinion, is still worthwhile? for some reason i just felt like 8 (or six as you suggested) is too few and would die/fall back far too easily.

i think i understand how the tomb spyder works but im going to actually have to play a game to test it out.

other armies i will be playing include space marines, space marines with grey knights, tyranids and possibly tau. they are on friday, later on however, late november ish is when our campaign starts proper and some orks and chaos will be added into the mix, probably without the tau.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 23:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Personally I never use a monolith in games under 1500 points, that's why I didn't include one in this list. At this point it's more important to get the fundamentals of the game down.

I like the VoD/Res Orb combo as well, but I prefer to use it in conjunction with Immortals rather than Warriors. This give you an extra 12" of range vs the warriors. Because VoD counts as movement you have to land your unit of warriors within 12" to get off a volley of shots, this puts you into charge range if you don't eliminate your target.

I like a small unit of Flayed Ones. They normally don't pose a significant threat until its too late and are able to operate in the backlines. This is personal preference, I like to diversify as much as possible.
Old 01 Nov 2009, 01:57   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

oh fair enough. thanks