Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Convince me....
Old 06 Nov 2009, 13:45   #11 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Re: Convince me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindgobble Witherfume
Pariahs and Wraiths are pretty much garbage. Wraiths moderately better, but only toughness 4, and one wound each. Even more expensive them Pariahs and still don't have any way to ignore saves.
I'm, going to have to disagree with you there. Yes Pariahs are expensive, and I know they don't get WBB, but they are essentially a lord with out the wargear, combined with a Immortal. They make your Ld 7 for just being near them. Have YOU ever pinned a carnifex? I have. It it won me a game, and it was because of these guys right here. You don't need a full squad of 10 for them to be effective.

And wriaths... I know i've hated on them in the past, but recently i've been taking 9 (see CC Crons) and they DESTROY. 36 attacks at a high strenght and a high initiative. They are really good at taking out that uber unit full of power weapons because it doens't make a difference! Keep in mind that these guys work in the same manner as a Ctan. The only REAL reliable way to kill them is to shoot them.

Flayed ones. Yeah, they aren't spectacular. But maybe you should think about them differently. If you go first, move and run (im going to say you run 4 as that is close to average). You are now 8 inches away. Let them charge (and kill you) so that your Tomb sypders can let them join that unit over there, and now your Wraiths get the charge.

Tomb Sypders. I'm pretty sure these guys have saved me a few times from Dreadnaughts. Everything (execpt Ctan and Spyders) can get tied up by these things and not really have a chance. Send a Spyder out there and get 6+2D6 armor pen on it. Also they have this ability to make Scarabs. Have you ever seen a T6 scarab? You get shot with a haeavy 1. Give it to the scarab (who doesnt get instakilled as the majority toughtness of a Tombspyder and a Scarab is the higher of the 2)

5th edition changed a lot of things. Gauss isnt as reliable anymore as antitank. YOU NEED HEAVY DESTROYERS. I know its not good and swarms, but what about everything else. Land Raiders are impossible to pop anyway, so don't ever use that as a deciding factor on if something is a good antitank or not.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2009, 14:24   #12 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Aren't Carnifex Fearless? How do you pin a fearless creature? ???

Also, the scarab is not T6 when part of the Tomb Spider group, its simply treated as such for the purposes of an opponent rolling to wound against the unit.

They can still get IDd by a Str 6 wound.
Old 07 Nov 2009, 05:07   #13 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Carnifex's are fearless AND MCs. It probably the most unpinnable thing in 40K. But the deceiver makes you take a Ld check regardless of Fearless or anything that would exempt you from it.

Well, thats what I meant... and Tomb Spyders have Ld 10 so im not too worried.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Quote:
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
Old 07 Nov 2009, 06:07   #14 (permalink)
Shas'La

FYI, the HDs aren't that bad at killing stuff. Indeed, I've had 40 Warriors rapid fire a single space marine...to have it survive. > I don't think of them as much more than fodder at this point (not to say they can't kill stuff, but come on, they're marines that can't fight in CC and are just as screwed when that battle cannon comes around). Anyways, HDs against that Dred: 2 hits, one pen, one glance, immobilized/shaken, or weapon destroyed/stunned. Pretty decent too me. And considering that they should always be getting a shot in at the side armor means that they won't be looking at AV12+for most things. They'll be looking at AV 11 usually.

Only a few small things would make our codex so much more competitive...Rending Flayed Ones/Wraiths, the ability to teleporte Pariahs (they don't even need WWB) along with VoD/Monoliths, and Making Gauss Rending-boom! We can take a variety of cool armies and expect to win a few.

I personally never liked tomb spiders on account of their horrid WS and BS. Really makes them too much of a support unit to me, but they're worth taking to guard stuff you don't want getting creamed by CC gods of various sorts.

Just my 2 cents.
Grr! Here is a new word to express my anger:

#$@&#\*%#@^@
Gaahrneedtokill

Life is a basket of crazed, flesh eating weasels.
>
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewiththeface
my friend had a teacher on a test after getting 49 question right, he got the 50th wrong and the teacher wrote "C-c-c-c-combo breaker-r-r-r" next to it.
Notanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2009, 15:35   #15 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Just a sidenote on wraiths, as most seem to be backing the HDs. Unlike how they look, I don't think we can call them 'assault' units in the full sense of the word. I instead suggest they are counter charge units used to save beleaguered warriors in combat. Too many times necrons get in combat, may happen to fail eventually, and get wiped. I keep them back, and when a warrior squad is in trouble they swoop in, and deal a few wounds before the enemy can strike. That with the warriors blunt force flailing is usually unough to at least make sure you don't need to test for morale.

They aren't great, but they can be saviors.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 16:00   #16 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I like to use wraiths to kill characters too They hit first most of the time, and 12 S6 attacks might so some damage before they are hit back.
Sjoerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2009, 12:09   #17 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've got to say, my most successful lists are usually: CC necrons, and Destroyer spam.
I take 30 flayed ones, 20 warriors, a destroyer lord w/ warscythe, rezorb, and phase shifter, 9 wraiths, and 3 tomb spyders in my CC list. I deploy everything behind terrain, and first turn move 12" to the unit I want to kill. Next turn I move another 12" and assault that unit. I cover 30" in 2 turns I take the warriors and sypders and make a block with them, with the spyders there to kill things that assault the warriors, and if I come across dreadnaughts or something, to take them out too.

I also play destroyer spam, with 3 heavy destroyers, and 14 destroyers, lord w/ scythe and phylactery, and 20 warriors, a deceiver, and 2 monoliths. I move around the board edge with the destroyers and move to the middle of the table with the monoliths. I have the deceiver go around and "lure" them in close then fly out and ctan them in the face!
Quote:
Quote: