Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

NEED HELP MY FRIEND AND I KEEP LOSING :[
Old 18 Oct 2009, 17:47   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to german warlord
Default NEED HELP MY FRIEND AND I KEEP LOSING :[

BELOW IS A ARMY LIST FROM THE LAST GAME
Pretty much what keeps beating the shit outta us is the freakin defiler and the obliterators apparently lascannons rape the monolith and i cant get close enough to them to do anything we need some guidance for my necrons get pinned down and the orks eventually over whelm me the orks arent as much of a problem but they are the spear head of their attack please help us the NECRONS MUST BE VICTORIOUS!!!!! >

My necron army has one necron lord:VOD and Resurrection ORB
nightbringer
troops x 28
3 destroyers
7 scarab swarms
1 monolith
my friend has 1 predator tank
1 drednaught
1 unit of tactical marines
1 drop pod
1 unit of terminators
1 marneus calagar
1 unit of honor guard
1 chaplain

VERSUS
ork army 1 trukk
1 weird boy
2 units of nobz
1 unit of meganobz
4(5) units of boys
5(6) deffkoptas
chaos space marines 1 daemon prince
3 obliterators
1 unit of infiltrators
1 defiler
1 rhino
1 unit of berzerkerswith jump pks
1 unit of chaos space marines

german warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2009, 18:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Re: NEED HELP MY FIRNED AND I KEEP LOSING :[

What i've learned about playing against Choas like that (as in, defilers and Deamon Princes) is that its TONS of fun. C'tan can destroy a deamon prince, and Heavy Destroyers are a must in 5th edition, and make short work of those Deifilers. I havent played against obliterators before, so I cant say anything about them. Also, I have to ask. Why scarabs? They DO tie up enemy units well, BUT that also means you cant shoot at them, which takes one possible kill point away for the majority of the game.

I'm also going to guess this is a 1500 point game, and I must point out... you come to 1449 points. Even for a necron player when you always have those 10 points that you can't spend, 50 is way to much. thats a whole 'nother destroyer. thats 2 more warriors and a scarab.

Just curious, but how often does your Nightbringer actually need all those attacks to kill some expensive unit? This is just my opinion, but the Nightbringer is the DVD rewinder of C'tan. The Deciever who may lack the 1 strenght, and 1 attack gets the benifit of +1 initiative, and an abundance of special rules. I've pinned 'Fexs, had my warriors win many a close combats becuase the other unit only hit on 6's, and not to mention the 9+2d6 armor penitiration on back armor. thats an auto pin on 95% of tanks in the game, and it doesnt take a nightbringer to do it.

Also on the tactical side of things, its always good fun toabuse that giant black brink you put on the table. Use it as moving "haha it blocks line of sight, biotch" wall.move steadily forward and when they get close, just block them from charging. a monollith so like... 6/9 inches long on all sids. they make charging you a pain, while your warriors just shoot thier little laser pointers of death (not to be mistaken with the laser pointers used to annoy teachers that they give the guard :P) and then they shall learn the true meaning of rapid fire! MWAHAHAHAHAA
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2009, 19:26   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: NEED HELP MY FRIEND AND I KEEP LOSING :[

Play legal armies and make sure your opponents are doing the same. Use the FOC, and make sure you count out the points correctly and they are balanced. 40k doesn't work when you just bring whatever you have to the table.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2009, 22:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Sinsparagon

Zerkers can't take jump packs. Do you mean raptors with mark of khorne? The Front armor of the Defiler is only 12, so it pops easily. DPs can only kill a max of 6 things a turn, so you could bog him or the defiler down with scarabs.
Sinsparagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2009, 23:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Actually Daemon Princes can kill whole units.... by simply forcing them to run!

By the looks of things you aren't using force organisation charts.... They are there for a reason...
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2009, 03:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

It looks some what like an apocalypse game. They are playing together vs the orcs and chaos at the same time.

How does the lascannon destroy your monolith like nothing? str 9 vs av 14? He must be extremely lucky to take it out like nothing.
space wolf bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2009, 19:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

3 lascannons vs monolith... it should be fine. A mono will normally have a lot more than that shooting at it. Being a chaos player I wouldn't even bother having my oblits shoot a mono, I would plasma cannon spam the warriors if it were my obliterators.

Hmmm why all the heavy supports, HQs, and such and so few troops? Honestly it is better that the chaos player didn't take the proper amount of troops, one day he will realize they are the best thing in the codex. But your marine friend needs more marines, badly. Something has to stop the ork horde and dreadnoughts and terminators are not going to to do it.

Defiler and oblits should not be causing that many problems. Defiler is a problem for necron warriors so I would try to kill it sooner rather than later. Keep your guys spread out as well. Again oblits should not be a problem for mono. Need 3+ to hit, 6 to pen, 5+ to kill. Thats a.... 1/27 chance I think. 3 oblits, it would take 9 turns... he shouldn't be killing it easily everytime.

Ironwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2009, 23:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

First of all, I hate the nightbringer, and I hate warriors (and scarabs, and immortals, but that's a different story)
I also don't know your points cap, but from what I see, the main thing would be drop the nightbringer, and if your bent on a Ctan, get the deceiver (he's MUCH better) scarabs are only good when used with a destroyer lord w/ lightning field (I personally dont like this tactic, but that's just me). Warriors are THE best/worst thing in that codex. They die, and then you phase out, and it really sucks, and I have yet to figure out how to stop that from happening (they also have the best basic gun ever). 3 destroyers is also really bad, as you don't benefit as much as you could from WBB. A key to Necrons is "whatever you take, take en mass. Necrons succeed at doing one thing, and focusing on that thing. You really can't have a "balanced" list, like most armies. I would suggest you come up with a "theme" for your army, and stick to it throughout your list. Like Destroyer Spam, Warrior Spam, Wraith Spam (Do you see where this is going? :P). Necrons are tricky to be good with. You have to stick with your original plan, regardless what happens, up until you phase out, or win. If your "uber unit" bites the dust, get over it and keep going. Necrons die when you retreat (See: Sweeping Advance) and adjust your tactics to your opponent. The necron phalanx (when it was still viable) was essentially a deathmarch of really survivable units from one side of the board to the other, and they shot the shit out of them. Back in 4th, people's list would be rez orb lords, and warrirors, and they would walk up to you with 80 or so warriors, and blow you to hell. Tanks, MCs, Daemon, EVERYTHING. Now that a new rulebook is out, necrons became more kill-able (due to new CC rules) but they still retain their strength. Most armies cry when they see a T7 carnifex near their basic troops (assuming they are standard S4T4). Necrons can laugh, and rapidfire into you, and still kill you, while a space marine wouldn't be able to wound it at all! The greatest strength to necrons, is that their bolter equivalent can immobilize landraiders, kill high toughness monsters, and strip Leman Russ's down to their hull. They have a large variety, of wargear that may be taken by the lord to give your models special bonus's that only increase their strength. Once you learn to utilize everything in your codex, you will find Necrons are not as "underpowered" as many people believe.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Quote:
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 06:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hive fleet Goliath I disagree with you.

I tale the nightbringer at 2000points and his high powered shot was extremely useful (bringing down defilers actually). Then his close combat stops all the armour save and if you are too bogged down fire the away from you.

Scarabs are extremely useful without the lord. Fitted with disruption fields they maul tanks especially if they haven't moved landing around 7 glances. And without the D fields they can stick units for turns on end. I have kept Khorne bezerkers back for 3 turns where I had a fire base all set up and ready to pummel the 'zerkers.

Warriors... Do I even have to start on why warriors are so good? Their basic gun can bring down anything.

You cannot say certain necron units suck (apart from pariahs) you just need to find where they go and what they are for. Don't expect the codex to have a description under each one saying what it does. Necrons may seem lacking in areas but if you look again there are lots of units to fill it's place.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 23:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Its ok, I disagree with you too.
I love Pariahs, and I mean that.

The Nightbringer is over kill. Yes, its awesome. It will kill anything. But you dont need it. Its like bringing a bazooka to a showdown.
Quote:
Then his close combat stops all the armour save and if you are too bogged down fire the away from you.
So do the decievers, and the second half is not true for a majority of armies. In fact, if your bogged down, the DECIEVER will get out 100% and then moves 2D6 inches wherever you want. He also lets you redeploy units, and can make anything (including MCs, fearless models, ect) take pinning checks regardless.

I never really liked units that all they are there for is to kill things. So i'll leave it at that with scarabs.

I said
Quote:
Warriors are THE best/worst thing in that codex. They die, and then you phase out, and it really sucks, and I have yet to figure out how to stop that from happening (they also have the best basic gun ever).
I'm aware their gun rocks, but they are also the "weakest link" in a necron army, undoubtedly.

I never said certain units suck. In fact, YOU were the one who said A certain unit sucks. So i think you should take your advice on that last sentence there
Quote:
Quote: