Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

looking for some advice
Old 28 Sep 2009, 13:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp
Default looking for some advice

• So, i got a tourny commin up at my LGS, and im looking for some advice on how to deal with the possible 2-3 necon plays that will probably be in attendace. I play Tau, and this is my list http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...,88868.0.html]. Heres my plan so far, and i want to see if it would be reliable in fighting them. Most seem to run warrior spams (lame...), but ive seen at least 2 night bringers, and some monoliths.

1. Kill lord with Res orb; pretty simple i assume, just hit him with railguns until dead.

2. Kill tomb spyders; see above.

3. Kill destoryers if present; using all my fusion blasters and plasma rifles to accoplish this. Along with markerlights to remove any cover saves they might have.

4. Phase them out; Heres where im havin a problem. Sure i could just pour fire into them but i dont know how effective it will be, as most will be standing right back up as i lack many Str 8 weapons. Another option i was thinking off, would be to throw my commander in his tougher then nails crisis suit in to CC with a group of warriors (and only warriors, he cant take on things with warscythes). I was thinking that since necrons suck (almost as much as tau) in CC that i can use his superior save to drop a few 'crons and then sweep them off the field. To accoplish this, i will marker light them up like a christmas tree and lower thier leadership for the remainder of the turn. Then hopefully kill a few in assault to drop it even lower.

Thats my plan so far. I really havent fought necons, and have only seen them in battle once. Hopefully you will be willing to share the secrets of beating yourselves with me .
jonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 16:09   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: looking for some advice

Alright, the res orb just hitting the lord waith a railgun will just down him he'll still have a WBB, so what you do if pour fire on the lord till he's dead then start killing the warriors/destroyers.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 23:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp

yeah i was going to (if possible) hit him right off the bat so he would have 1 wound left making it easier to keep him down and hopefully failing a WBB role.
jonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2009, 00:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

<Just kidding. I started to second guess myself, and reread it. I guess I didn't see words "it, or another" when I was rereading the WBB section :P Damn small print!>
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2009, 17:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The Lord may be in a unit of necrons, which makes it difficult to railgun him alone. Just hope that they bring a Ctan or Monolith against you (or one time I faced both, that was over fast ). Tau of any race is well built to counter such things. Honestly though, necrons shouldn't be all that scary. In objectives they have a lot of staying power, but its not like they are going to play an army that you don't know about. Remember that destroyers are S6 and go through your armor (Fire warriors), they also have a pretty huge operational range, yet only have one wound. Another good thing to know is that if the squad is WIPED, and there's no other unit to join they don't have a chance to get back up.
Old 01 Oct 2009, 23:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I run TWO monoliths AND a deciever, 20 warriors, immortals, and destroyers.

Very effective list, to say the least. Lost of expensive things, but monolith shieldwalls + the ctan keeps me out of CC, and the shooting I can handle
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Quote:
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
Old 02 Oct 2009, 11:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

4 Rail shots has a good chance of totaling those monoliths Goliath. And with Phase out after around 19-20 kills? Might kill Marines armies, but if they focus on CC or Shooting that army is going to flop.

I dunno, I play against Necrons like that, and every time is the same outcome, absolute phase out; just be glad you have a good environment for it.
Old 02 Oct 2009, 12:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There aren't very many tau players here... :P
Only Droids and his stupid Warp Blast >.< And with 2 templates, a lot of 2-3 shot guns, and a lil' bit of rapid fire it fairs well againts hordes.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03 Oct 2009, 05:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Don't expect that you will be able to drop the lord without thinning things out a lot. Only a careless player will leave him unattached, so you will have to drop the whole unit he is in. Even Tau don't have enough firepower to ensure an Instant Death hit on him under those conditions. I've found that the best ways to deal with warriors are with our own troops. Kroot can beat them in assault with a 50% or more advantage in models, and fire warriors can do some damage by outranging them. In a standard pitched battle deployment where the warriors walk forward (a fairly rare situation against savvy necron players), the fire warriors will get in one or two barrages (depending on who gets first turn) before the warriors can fire. Railguns can drop monoliths if you have cooperative dice, and our crisis suits can take down immortals and similar big shots. Keep an eye on where your opponent's rez orb is and pick off small squads that are out of range of it.

I hadn't considered taking crisis suits into melee with necrons, but a command squad of them with some drones could actually do OK. Still, I prefer using kroot for that.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2009, 09:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

You want to prioritive the immortals and destroyers. They will hit you HARD!

Trust me i played them recently in my list together they were cutting down two squads a turn. A good necron player won't let those broadsides stand for long either. Same goes for those crisis suits. Don't make plans where they live to see the end.