Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Necrons. Or maybe not.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 22:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Starting Necrons. Or maybe not.

Hi there Necron players

I have a friend that we have finally pressured into starting 40K. His reservations where purely economical, he enjoys both the play and paint parts of the hobby, but that's not why you called...

He has thrown his love on the Necron army (and I understand why!). He mainly likes the models and the fluff, as he knows only the most basic rules and only have gotten a vague description of how the Necron army works.

The problem is that I know he's the kinda guy that loves customization and nit-picking at small details in the setup of what ever he's playing, and I don't think he'll be able to get that from a Necron army from what I read around on the various sites (well, mainly this one).

Are my fears valid, or is it possible to change up your army list in a variety of loadouts from time to time, depending on the opponent? Well... That's a bad way of asking. Of course you can. What I mean is will you always, always have a core of 20-40 warriors and then expand upon that with a few specialized units? Seems to me that all lists out there have a massive warrior spam, and then either a handfull of scarabs, immortals or destroyers.

It may because I play Tau, but having 2/3 (at least) of your army be comprised of the same unit that has no options seems very little what he would want, and I am correct this is the case, am I not? If I'm mistaken, I would love to hear it, as both he and I love the models and I would love to see a Necron player in our group (to mix it up a bit from the 3 marines...).

Cheers

Gorlak
gorlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 02:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Re: Starting Necrons. Or maybe not.

Necrons are very easy to CHANGE but not really customize. You can make warriors into immortals really easily, but they still don't look original.

As for the gameplay part, yes. You can spam just about every unit effectively. I've seen lots of very competitive lists with 15 destroyers, 30 immortals, scarabs out the waazoo, ect. The minimum # of warriros you can have however, is 20, and any more than 40 (in my opinion) is way too much. It's points not spent on your GOOD units.

I would also recomend him investing in a C'tan. They are VERY powerful (and can kill anything). Which one is up to him, but I personally like the deciever due to his great special abilities, and the 2D6 consolidation at the end of each enemy assault phase, making the deciever REALLY FAST.

Strategies with Necrons also vary wildly too. Immortal-heavy lists hide in a building and "baby" an objective, while Destroyer-heavy ones scoot along the board edge shooting the living shit out of the enemy.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2009, 05:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you do start playing Necrons, two other things you can look forward to are as follows:
1. Monoliths, Tau is the only race that can destroy them without dedicated anti-tank units, and even when other races have dedicated AT, it still isn't guaranteed they will blow up a Monolith. Tyranid Carnifex is an exception though, but they are no match for any C'tan. So, keep one close.
2. Sometime in the near future, Dark Eldar and Necrons are due to get a new codex. New codex means all kinds of goodies, new models, new units, new rules, new options. Just plain awesome-sauce!
Old 02 Oct 2009, 05:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

So noone really read his post?

Necrons as an army are from an older edition, before troops were the only scoring units. That leaves necrons with a relatively limited codex for variation and change. They only have one troop choice that have one option they can change. They don't have the option of sargeant upgrades, special weapons, heavy weapons or anything like that. Model wise you can go tot own and make your own style, but game wise it is very limited, no matter the unit.

If you want an army for variation, your best options are tyranids (Biomorphs if they keep them, new dex soon) CSM (icons, weapons), marines have some variation (Special charactrs switching things up) and the new space wolves, their sargeants are all about mix and match.

Honestly If he wants to start necrons now, he may end up a bit disappointed. They don't win that many games in this edition (Compared to newer races) and if he likes the customisation it'd probably not be the best race.

limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2009, 11:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the replies. Kinda dissapointing that the Necrons are reduced to one scoring unit in 5th, that has no options or upgrades...

Think he'll end up with Tyranids then, seemed like there existed a lot of options and directions within that army, and that's right up his alley.

Cheers,

Gorlak
Old 02 Oct 2009, 15:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The 'crons only get one type of troop, but beyond that they're not so limited. They have monoliths, scarabs, flayed ones, immortals, wraiths, and tomb spyders, so there is plenty of depth elsewhere in the list. You're right that most of their units are not all that customizable, but the HQ's have lots of options. I'm not a necron player, but I know that Necron Lords come in all kinds of varieties, and both C'Tan are just nasty. Still, if his thing is modeling lots of creative stuff, then Necrons are not going to be a good choice.

Tyranids are a completely different feel from the Necrons, but they do share the attitude "that which is not us must die." Consider the play styles when recommending an army to your friend. Necrons are few, slow, indestructible, and (mostly) shooty. Tyranids are many, very fast, fragile, and melee. In play styles, you would have a hard time picking two armies that are more different than Necrons and Tyranids. Also, be aware that the Tyranids are getting a codex update soon, rumored in early 2010.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2009, 20:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

supposedly the necrons have a new codex on the way.

supposedly the DE have a new codex on the way.

how about we suppose that anything new games workshop is rumoured to be doing that in any way benefits non-SMurf players is at best highly suspicious and, at worst, a load of kroot-shtlk.

but when it comes to it, i have found alot of variety with the new Codex:Fuzzy Wuzzy Genetically Enhanced Bears, as well as in Codex:Orks
Quote:
Originally Posted by demitriusnassy
Haha ;D I am Bob, the devourer of Souls. ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Turning the Power Matrix into some kind of Disco Ball of Death? :P
willwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2009, 01:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightperson

Tyranids are a completely different feel from the Necrons, but they do share the attitude "that which is not us must die." Consider the play styles when recommending an army to your friend. Necrons are few, slow, indestructible, and (mostly) shooty. Tyranids are many, very fast, fragile, and melee. In play styles, you would have a hard time picking two armies that are more different than Necrons and Tyranids. Also, be aware that the Tyranids are getting a codex update soon, rumored in early 2010.
Yeah I figured as much, but he has always had a deep love for Zerg so think that helped him with the transition But isn't it possible to make relatively "shooty" Tyranid builds?

EDIT: This is probably drifting off topic for a Necron board... The tyranid board seems to be full of shooting oriented armies. But thanks for the replies anyways