Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fifth Edition Necron Codex & Designer's Notes - See page 5!
Old 05 Sep 2009, 23:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Fifth Edition Necron Codex & Designer's Notes - See page 5!

As some of you may have seen here, I threw down the gauntlet suggesting that I could write a codex in a week and GW's writers really need to pull their collective fingers out of their collective arseholes.

Predictably, someone then picked up that gauntlet and thwacked me across the face with it.

This is the result.

Here is what I propose:

As I have no job (yay being a recently ex-student and the recession...) and I'm financially stable at the moment, I can actually set aside a week to do Games Workshop's job for them. I shall spend the following working week, from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, writing the new Necron Codex.

This shall involve background, units and rules - new additions as well as updating existing ones - and shall essentially be a new codex type product but for the lack of artwork.

To give myself incentive, i.e. to fool the "work" part into my brain that I will be getting paid for what is essentially a week of non-profit activity, I will put off buying the swathe of DVDs I wanna get until the end of the week, once the work is finished. If I don't finish, I don't buy the DVDs.

If I fail - either by writer's burnout, lack of time or simple boredom - I shall hold my hands up and state that GW have a harder job on their hands than we think they do and shall cease to berate them for their huge gaps between codex releases.

If I succeed, on the other hand, and finish it at any time before 5pm on Friday - either right up to the deadline or if I burn through it and finish it on Wednesday - I shall post the results here, and if the general consensus is that Circus has done a good job doing what the GW Games Developers are paid to do simply because he had the balls to suggest that he could, then I shall print it, bind it in a folder, march up to the Game Devs desk at Games Day UK on the 27th September and hand it to them.

There will not be content updates, you'll either see the finished product or nothing at all, though I will each day say what I have done - i.e. you won't see what I have written, but you will see me say "Today I wrote some background and a couple of unit descriptions."

I felt this belonged more in the Necrons board than the House Rules board because it is a very Necron-centric undertaking and I want those it affects on Tau Online to be well aware of what I am doing, which they may not have been had I restricted it to the 40k Creations area of the site.

Do not give me any suggestions as to what I could put in, I spent the last couple of days brainstorming fixes to the glaring bugs in the list, tweaks to the background to make it more compelling (I hope) and still in keeping with what's already been written, and figuring out concepts for new units. So please don't try to help me, because that really defeats the point of the exercise.

You may like what I come up with, you may not, but at 9am on Monday GMT I shall start work writing it up into a Codex format and at or before 5pm on Friday you shall see, should I succeed, what I create. I hope you'll be happy with it. I hope I finish it.

Wish me luck!
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2009, 23:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Circus' Codex Challenge: Week 1; Necrons

Good luck, i hope you do a good job. Ive often wondered whether i could rewrite a codex and make it fair, and it will interesting to see the result.

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2009, 23:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

I've done it in my free time over about a month before if you have a glance at my Codex: Galactic Empire.

Updating an existing codex is simpler than building one from scratch, I think.

Good luck. Hope you have fun.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2009, 00:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

Woo new codex!
I hope you finish it, and I hope it's awesome, because I will print off a copy of it and use it.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2009, 01:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Have fun, Id like to see Necrons that are made of win, not cheese.

-Matzilla
matzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2009, 01:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveFleetGoliath
I hope you finish it, and I hope it's awesome, because I will print off a copy of it and use it.
And yet he will still lose.

[hr]

Good luck, Circus. ;D

Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2009, 02:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

I WILL SMASH YOU WITH CIRCUS'S CODEX!!!
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2009, 10:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Circus, as long as you've spent some time immersed in the Necron fluff and have played many games with/against them then i believe that you could make a good job of it

Now, everyone else just needs to compete now :P
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2009, 11:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Circus, who have once again totally proved your insanity, good luck :P
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2009, 11:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Don't forget to time yourself - any more than 40 hours(or whatever the standard working week in England is) and you're going into overtime, which is something GW frowns upon.

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
RonanB1011 is offline   Reply With Quote