Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fifth Edition Necron Codex & Designer's Notes - See page 5!
Old 07 Sep 2009, 13:38   #21 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Re: Circus' Codex Challenge: Week 1; Necrons

I reckon this is about the point a normal codex writer would stop and take a break for a few months. :P

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2009, 14:11   #22 (permalink)
Ethereal

Good luck man, this is a great undertaking.
Old 07 Sep 2009, 14:21   #23 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
I reckon this is about the point a normal codex writer would stop and take a break for a few months. :P
No no no, all that time is taken up by other things - getting Heavy Metal to prepare those high-spec pictures, and of course endless months of playtestohmygodIcan'tsaythatwithastraightface!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2009, 15:49   #24 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm really looking forward to the final product of this - it's enough to make me want to go to Games Day to see you hand it in! Hats off to you Circus!

R

The Welshman!
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2009, 16:02   #25 (permalink)
Shas'El

Of course no pressure. It's just been forever and a day since something genuinely interested me. =]
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2009, 16:30   #26 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to PsyBomb Send a message via Yahoo to PsyBomb

Now, I wonder something. While I admire the concept, the 1-week codex is going to be the rough version. it would have to be, unless you're playtesting and are a fluff god. That said, even being able to power out the 4 most-needed codex roughs in a month (Necron, DE, Tau, and Inquisition) would be a good demonstration of the point you are trying to prove.

That said, there is one thing I'm going to need to see before I can call any of this an "acceptable" entry for your criteria. Each army has something unique to them, some system or gimmick that no other army can possibly duplicate. Things like Orders, Chapter Tactics, Waaagh!, and the Sagas in the upcoming Wolves codex. Each and every one of your codex propositions would need to have something along these lines, as it's what keeps marines from being able to accurately imitate a Guard or Ork army if you get my point.

Good luck, though, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Snow Forces of T'olku Sept: 3/4/2
... I like to think I'm learning, though
PsyBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2009, 16:47   #27 (permalink)
Shas'El

I might try something similar to this sometime but I would only be able to spend about 3 hours per day on it so that'd be a total of 15 hours (how school gets in my way)

IMO the inquisition will need some creative thinking so good look Circus
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2009, 17:24   #28 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

The rewrite of the War In Heaven is finished, and the background bit about what the Necrons are up to now is well underway - I'll probably finish it tonight, leaving me with pretty much only the army list and unit descriptions left. Yay for the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyBomb
Now, I wonder something. While I admire the concept, the 1-week codex is going to be the rough version. it would have to be, unless you're playtesting and are a fluff god.
I'm not playtesting it, I don't need to. I know the rules of the game, I know the capabilities and points costs of the other armies, I know how the Necrons work right now and I know what is needed to make them properly competitive again. And I am a fluff god. Compared to older codexes they may seem OP, but next to the Space Marine and Guard books (i.e. the 5th Ed books) they'll be balanced. As much as I'd like to, I can't ignore GW's own codex creep.

Quote:
That said, there is one thing I'm going to need to see before I can call any of this an "acceptable" entry for your criteria. Each army has something unique to them, some system or gimmick that no other army can possibly duplicate. Things like Orders, Chapter Tactics, Waaagh!, and the Sagas in the upcoming Wolves codex. Each and every one of your codex propositions would need to have something along these lines, as it's what keeps marines from being able to accurately imitate a Guard or Ork army if you get my point.
With We'll Be Back! and Gauss Weaponry, Necrons already have the stuff that really sets them apart from the crowd. I'm not going to be changing these things. Well, I say "not changing" - they'll be made so they actually work properly, but the concept is already there.

[hr]

I am, however, changing my terms slightly. My sleep patterns are totally screwed, my bodyclock seems to think it lives in Washington or something. As such my "9-5" thing doesn't really work by British standards as I really can't wake up that early without a week of preparation. In order to fix this, I'm doing 9-5 by Washington time, rather than England time. It won't make any real difference to the outcome, in fact all it'll do is actually allow me to do what I plan to do fairly.

Thus far everything's going smoothly. I think I'm a *bit* behind, but that's mainly due to getting significantly less time in yesterday due to my own criteria. With the above fix, I reckon I'll be able to finish perfectly fine.

[hr]

Edit: Oh, and I'm feeling generous:

Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2009, 18:59   #29 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Seriously mate...friday can't come soon enough. I'm really looking forward to this.

R

The Welshman!
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2009, 20:26   #30 (permalink)
Shas'O

They don't get bigger... I want to read them but my eyesight is not equipped to do so. (Blowing it up only makes it pixelated as well).

Good going on the effort so far Circus. An excellent campaign to underline GW's laziness (especially considering that multiple people are on the teams to make the 'dexes).

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote