Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

NECRON Leadership thoughts.
Old 23 Aug 2009, 18:43   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default NECRON Leadership thoughts.

Hi there fellow nerds!
Is anyone else getting as annoyed as me at just how easily the crons will turn and flee after losing an assault? I mean they were never much good in assault anyway. But since fith edition they just seem to run away every time. (I say run away. It's more turn round and get their skulls smashed into the ground!) I used to get around this by having large squads of 15 - 20 warriors in each.
This kept me safe from being outnumbered in an assault, avoiding those nasty negative modifiers to my leadership. But with the new combat resolution rules, this does not help at all.
Take the other day for example. My squad of 20 warriors and a Lord were charged by a unit of ork boys. Needless to say, I lost combat. No problem there, that was expected. However, I lost combat by 7 (the Orks killing 8, the crons taking down just 1) which meant I had a leadership of 3!
Of course they failed, tried to run and got wiped out. 580 points of warriors and my lord down the pan in turn 2.
I mean come on, that would be hard for any one to swallow. Necrons should be tougher than that. I know they are supposed to retreat when it's logical to do so. But my Necrons seem more cowardly than logical.

I have a few ideas that I feel would go down well in the new Codex.

*After losing an assault, only Necrons that are fully destroyed count towards combat resolution. For example a squad of crons lose an assault by 3. 2 are eligible for we'll be back, 1 has been smashed by a powerfist. So they instead lose combat by 1 giving them a minus 1 modifier to leadership as apposed to 3.
If they know that thier fallen comrades are about to be back in the fight, surely it's logical to fight on? But if they are getting thier heads kicked in by powerfists and wotnot, then they are gonna do the smart thing and leggit!

*Necron Lords should be fearless. Or at least stubborn.

*Guass weapons AP1 when firing at vehicles. (I know it's got nothing to do with leadership, but it's still a valid point.)

*How about instead of fleeing they dissapear and then deepstrike back onto the battlefield somewhere else. But lose the chance for any we'll be back rolls that the squad was eligible for?

Please tell me what you think. I would be interested to hear any alternative suggestions you guys can think of.
Old 23 Aug 2009, 19:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: NECRON Leadership thoughts.

Yet another fanboy thread (though i agree on the fast that they run like a b*tch after pretty much any assault, the other things would just make them too powerful). Sure the lord SHOULD be fearless (a leader who is as afraid of the enemy as his troops doesn't make much sense), though the vanish/ deepstrike somewhere else is just broken, same as the ap1 against vehicles. Necrons are already good enough against vehicles 9recently played against an armored company list and everything but 1 tank was either wrecked or immobalized with no weapons.

I recall seeing a thread similar to this one in tyranids saying they should make genestealers ws7 s6 or whatnot : and giving a list of other things (such as making gaunts 2x stronger than space marines but same points...) which led to nothing but criticism. Fanboyism will get you nowhere.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,77467.0.html <---link to 15 pages of criticism about fanboyism, enjoy ;D
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2009, 20:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Okay, be fair! a few of these were valid points.

Lords should be fearless it just makes more sense. And there should be some way tyo stop them getting sweot easily as they don't run away they move backwards laying covering fire as a tactical withdrawal.

Also if gauss weapons were AP1 on a roll of 6+ against vehicles that would restore them to their 4th edition prowess.

But everything else is fanboyish and/or broken.
Old 23 Aug 2009, 20:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Rumour has it the new codex see them get stubborn ld 10.

Best way to save them, if you see past the first round of combat, teleport.

Or teleport BEFORE your enemy charge.
Old 24 Aug 2009, 21:36   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Now hold a moment. I thought this was supposed to be a friendly forum.
I put forward some ideas to be discussed. And I get accused of fanboyism! I am NOT a fanboy. >
I havn't put foward any silly stat increases.
As Harbringer states the AP1 at vehicles seems the most simple way to restore their vehicle hunting capabilities.
I'm sorry rotwiler but the game you mentioned must have been played using 4th edition. Because glancing hits wouldn't destroy that many tanks under 5th.
I accept that the teleport idea may be broken but it does have potential. And fluff wise it works. It would be difficult in practise i suppose.
I think only counting fully destroyed necrons towards negative modifiers is a good way to help their leadership without making them fearless. How is that fanboyism? ???
You accept that necrons flee to easily. But you immediatley insult anyone who comes up with thoughts on fixing it? ???
I wouldn't want an overpowered army, I just want an army that plays aswell as the fluff suggests.

Anyway please continue to give your thoughts an alternative ideas.

Just no more petty name calling please. ^-^
Old 24 Aug 2009, 21:47   #6 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

I say give the Lord Stubborn that he can share, and give necrons some kind of robozombie version of And They Shall Know No Fear, so they can tactically fall back if they want, but if they get swept then they just take No Retreat wounds as normal. Fearless would be broken, imo.
And i would be severely pissed off if Warriors had AP1 vs vehicles. A single flayer isn't going to wreck a vehicle, it takes a bunch to reduce it to a hunk o junk
Old 24 Aug 2009, 22:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giger
I'm sorry rotwiler but the game you mentioned must have been played using 4th edition. Because glancing hits wouldn't destroy that many tanks under 5th.
If you get a immobilised affect while the vehicle already is then it counts as wrecked so that means the tank was wrecked. I never said that any of them exploded, and i am playing by the newest codex since necrons don't get a new one till the middle of next year (or so i hear atleast). And if the 9 in my sentence caused any confusing instead of saying "9recently played against" it should say "i recently played against" (typing too fast and 9 was by i)
Old 24 Aug 2009, 22:36   #8 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotwiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giger
If you get a immobilised affect while the vehicle already is then it counts as wrecked so that means the tank was wrecked. I never said that any of them exploded, and i am playing by the newest codex since necrons don't get a new one till the middle of next year (or so i hear atleast). And if the 9 in my sentence caused any confusing instead of saying "9recently played against" it should say "i recently played against" (typing too fast and 9 was by i)
No, Immobilized after another an Immobilized means you get a Weapons Destroyed result
Old 24 Aug 2009, 22:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In the mini rule book on page 61 it says "A vehicle that suffer either damaged result when it has no weapons left and is already immobilised treats the result as destroyed-wrecked instead" which means if all weapons r destroyed and it is immobilised and it gets either a weapon destroyed result or a immobilised result it is wrecked since weapon destroyed and immobilised both count as damaged affects. And yes this is 5th ed.
Old 24 Aug 2009, 23:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotwiler
In the mini rule book on page 61 it says "A vehicle that suffer either damaged result when it has no weapons left and is already immobilised treats the result as destroyed-wrecked instead" which means if all weapons r destroyed and it is immobilised and it gets either a weapon destroyed result or a immobilised result it is wrecked since weapon destroyed and immobilised both count as damaged affects. And yes this is 5th ed.
That's not gonna happen with the 'lith. It's near impossible to destroy their weapon completely.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote