Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to Necrons
Old 20 Aug 2009, 17:54   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New to Necrons

Hello,
My brother is just starting a Necron army and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for him (Both for collecting, painting and playing). 8)

Thanks
-Brokendawn
"To follow any path other than the Tau'va is to doom us all. Only together and with courage and disclipine shall we stand victorious. Fight with fire and courage and nothing can stand against us." - Commander Shadowsun
Brokendawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2009, 20:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Re: New to Necrons

There's many stratagies you can play with necrons effectivly.

You can be lame and take 40+warriors and a lord and a few other units
You can take flayed ones, Spyders, and a C'tan for a CC list
You can take 3 monoliths and make an unpenitrateable wall

The possiblities are endless.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2009, 20:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

A monolith at 1000 points is a very bad idea.

Also putting the effort in to each model no matter how long it takes is worth it. My army took me 3 months to paint and it isn't great but it attracts a lot of comments in the shop.

Also necrons have a surprisingly large amount of variety despite what you think so feel free to try new things.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 22:11   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the tips Hive ;D, I'll pass them on.
What colours have you painted your Necrons? They sound good
"To follow any path other than the Tau'va is to doom us all. Only together and with courage and disclipine shall we stand victorious. Fight with fire and courage and nothing can stand against us." - Commander Shadowsun
Brokendawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2009, 22:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well my necrons you can see in my signature. But they are basically silver with a dark blue shoulders, and chest emblem background. The normal Green bits on my guns are regal blue and I plan on changing the green rods to blue ones at some point in the near future.
Old 23 Aug 2009, 01:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

biggest tip that I anyone can offer for collecting: buy a necron warrior phalanx
second tip: buy through a discounter such as chaosmailorder (or via ebay) so that you pay even less (10%-25%).
third tip: don't feel like you have to get everything right away, elite and fast attack pieces that are not included included in a large box set are very expensive to buy seperately.

starting from scratch, two necron warrior phalanx would give you everything you could ever hope for and then some, and at worst cost you $400. the only thing you would be short on would be elites which you can convert warriors for. I would say a $400 buget would get you a very strong 3500 point army.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2009, 22:09   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well my advice would be to go for the models that first attracted him to the army. That's about as good a way to start as any. It might not be an effective fighting force at first. But at least they will look good. Then as you play a few games slowly add the units you think your army is lacking.
I would recommend 20 warriors and a Lord to start with. Get them painted then you have got the bare bones of a legal army done. Then add a little at a time, painting as you go. Then before you know it you'll have a good size fully painted army.

Personally I will never buy a boxed army again. I remember staring at my 100+ model ork army, and wondering just where to begin! It can be very daunting.

Mind you they are good value. And everybody is different.

There is no wrong way to collect an army. Just go with what feels right to you.
Old 29 Aug 2009, 07:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would recommend the warrior phalanx as well as I got it and it is the best value out of all the starter sets then add a lord and you have a good 750+ army.

With lots of models to paint it is not so much the case with necrons. I am at 2500 points and my 1000point guard outnumbers them!

When painting I find it use ful to paint a bit, take a break, paint some more. Necrons do get repetetive but putting the effort in because when you do they look amazing of the table top.
Old 01 Sep 2009, 12:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

I agree with the above statement about the Phalanx. 48 warriors, 6 destroyers, a monolith, a lord (and of course, those scarabs) is a great deal. I don't know about TWO of them though... thats a lot of warriors. You could probably spend that extra $200 and buy a C'tan, another monolith, and elites/fast attack of your choice.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2009, 13:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would recommend 1 warrior phalanx, a monolith (they are always handy) and definately a lord that will get you 1000-1500 points to play about with.

Also for elites most of them can be converted from warriors... 2x warriors + glue= 1 Immortal
1 warrior + plasticard+ glue +GS= 1 Flayed one

Direct him to TO aswell.