Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

starting necron questions
Old 14 Aug 2009, 17:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default starting necron questions

hey there TO 'Cron players, Ive played Tau since i started 40k afew months back, and since have tried going orks as a change of pace, but a friend recently got into the game and wants to buy my orks from me. Ive been interested in Necrons for alittle bit, i like their cold-steel terminator look they have, as well as their rules and such.

For starting out, what would be the best thing to buy? I know its an easy one, such as "a lord + warriors"... but can anyone help with alittle more detail to that? For example, is a Necron lord better with what kind of gear? (Scythe or Staff, Rez Orb, that phylancropy thing, i cant spell it because i dont know the name), and how are Destroyer Lords, besides moving fast and the +1T what good is it? Warriors i understand are 100% mandatory, but what about Destroyers / Immortals? I dont know the rules of them exactly, but its to my understanding that Destroyers are "jet bikes" but their gun is a heavy, are they able to shoot it if they move similiar to other jet bikes? Are Monoliths a MUST have? i know they do rediculous things, but i'd rather avoid getting one if i can.
skippy35671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2009, 22:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: starting necron questions

Ah! A good necron topic...

On what you should get I recommend getting 1000point games in then figuring out what you want. For my list I use 30 warriors, 3 destroyers and 3wraiths that I sometimes swap for scarabs with disruption fields. This is a good all comers list for friendly as wraiths are quite hit and miss, they can either kill off squads in one round or fall to shooting easily.

With lords you have two types support and attack. support lords stay with warriors with a staff of light and a resorb kepping your firebase healthy. Or you can have attacking lords that rush forwards to attack. Generally attack lords are on destroyer bodies to get them there quickly with a warsytche for extreme CC ability generally these have a red orb too. Other types can be a VoD lord that teleports units behind the enemy for strikes right in their lines or the Bugzapper, a lord that has a Destroyer body and lightening field attatched to a maxed out squad of scarabs as this wreaks havoc among enemy lines!

My lord generally is as follows: Lord, res orb, destroyer body, warsytche plus a piece I can vary Inbetween battles. He an either go alone attacking tanks with devastating results or more often he goes around with my wraith unit killing
Many people.

[hr]

Destroyers are able to move and shoot but it is best to leave them in cover. Versus immortals it really comes down to preference but I like destroyers for the added range and strength of their guns (plus a unit is cheaper). Destroyers are best in 3's as they are still deadly but due to unit size are ignored by the enemy leaving them free to keep killing.

Lastly monoliths are a bad idea in 1000poinrs as it detracts to msny points despite it's power. In 1500 I always take it, I find it often is more useful than first appears! Due to it's reputation it will soak up lots of firepower leaving your army free to advance while it's special rules keep it alive.

I hope that answers your question but if you have any more please ask!
Old 15 Aug 2009, 06:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ok thanks alot Unholy, i was thinking of using Destroyers as well, are Immortals worth it? I'd convert them from excess Warriors somewhere down the line, buying them 1 at a time (expensive AND metal models) is just rediculous in my opinion. What lets the Lord deepstrike, and is it any unit hes attached to? i must have missed that when i was flipping through the codex earlier today, i didnt buy it so i cant look it up at the moment.

I was reading a topic somewhere here about buying afew Battleforces, converting 3 of the destroyers into Heavy destroyers (they do look almost the same afterall) and some excess warriors into immortals, which both sound like a solid idea to me, as well as a huge money saver seeing as immortals are...$15 a peice? and destroyers are $25 i beleive.

You also mention wraiths being hit or miss, you can turbo boost them cant you, doesnt that make them decently less-squishy? Now is it advisable to give a warscythe to a lord + rez orb, if hes just a "baby sitter" of sorts, not actually meant to attack, but just helpful as a "what if" since its a power weapon.

lastly....where did you get that avatar pic of yours? is that a girl in a necron outfit, because i must say that i like it, its just so... happy for a necron. And next to your name it also says Armys Played, what does that mean about your necrons are they just some special kind?
Old 15 Aug 2009, 06:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

Meh.... 30 warriors is so.... BORING
I like to mix it up. I take vanilla 20 warriors, heavy destroyers, monolith, c'tan, pariahs (yes, that "Expensive, not-worth-the-cost-unit") and lord with rez and veil, and immortals. but that's a high point game.

Oh, and some unconventional uses of your monolith that's NOT included in your page long description of the Power Matrix:

+ A hiding place for your C'tan!
+ A hiding place for anything!
+ Deep strike on an objective. the monolith is 9"X9" so if you deepstrike RIGHT on it, that's 3" in all directions from in.
+ You can use pivoting to add a few inches by facing the corners of the monstrosity to whatever you want to teleport.
+ And lastly, (this has nothing to do with the monolith) just being as annoying as possible. If you want to be good at necrons, read, re-read, and read the codex again and look for things that work in coherence of other units. 10 Flayed ones + 1 Deceiver + 4 Pariahs = 2(3) attacks + 4(8) Attacks, no save allowed, and a leadership check that, if you fail, any unit you assault you only hit on a 6, if you pass, you still have to take another one from the Flayed Ones. Or, Infiltrating Terminators / Deceiver = Redeploy in front of them and MURDERRRR THEMMMMMM

( / is divide)

And as for the Immortal comment, Yes and no. If you have the points, put him with a veil lord (Lord with Veil or darkness, the one that lets you teleport) and shoot rear armor, granted its a 500 point unit.

And wraiths... they suck to assemble... trust me... and 41 points for something that WILL die... QUICK.
You shoot at a unit of 3 wraiths (123 points) and all of a sudden, your down 123 points. Take them if theres a lot of stuff that blocks LoS

And i'm pretty sure he just nicknamed his Necrons... like Hive Fleet _____ for 'nids and <Chapter name here> for marines.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2009, 06:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

On my necrons name it is just that. They are all painted with dark blue colours for their guns and avatar (see signature). Despite my use of a nightbringer they are meant to be the necrons trying to free the void dragon ( I fight SMs alot). I mean to convert a voiddragon down the line sometime.

My avatar is a picture of a necron girl from a comic that someone mentioned in the enclave. I liked the picture so I cropped it down and put it there, apparently it is both cute and disturbing at the same time!
[hr]

I use 30 warriors largely because I have verry limited funds at the moment and am still trying to convert 10 immortals out of the 70 warriors I have. With VoD you can move anything with the WBB rule.

Hive fleet Goliath has overlooked quite a few things...
Yes using a veil of darkness with immortals is good but replace them with a 20 strong warrior squad teleporting right into rapid fire range (nasty). That will destroy anything.

With your comments on lords the res orb + warsytche is for attacking. The staff of light +red orb is designed to stay with your warriors. I sugggest trying different combinations of lord as they are very versatile in terms of roles they can play, I took me a long time to find a setup for my lord that I found I really liked.

Finally the fact HFG is saying wraiths suck tells me he doesn't know how to use the things. Most players will just rush forwards towards the nearest enemy but that is bad. As I said in my previous post my D lord goes with them. Now you need to hug terrain as much as possible, wraiths can walk through it and the lord can normally go over it too. This will keep you out of LOS until you are 18" away from your target and you can move to them and assault. Try attacking smaller squads as these normally fall in one round of assault. Do this and wraiths can obliterate enemy forces at a ridiculous pace. Tubo boosting won't help as it gives them a 3+ save when they already have an invulnerable 3+ save.

A battle force is a good way of starting and is how I got my starter force.

The thing that let's the lord teleport is the veil of darkness which is a piece of wargear.

Reading and rereading the codex is vital as there are lots of small rules that can be easily missed that are vital to playing.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 15:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveFleetGoliath
Take them if theres a lot of stuff that blocks LoS
I didn't say they sucked, I just said they die fast if you shoot at them.

Quote:
Yes using a veil of darkness with immortals is good but replace them with a 20 strong warrior squad teleporting right into rapid fire range (nasty). That will destroy anything.
I take the immortals because
Quote:
shooting rear armor
with S5 can pen, as most tanks have rear armor 10, but yes, against infantry 20 warriors is what you want.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Quote:
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
Old 23 Aug 2009, 21:08   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

hey everyone
I'm new to Warhammer 40k and play necrons just wanted thak you for this thread extremely helpful
silverstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2009, 17:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

this place is always a decent area to ask questions, they've helped me alot
Old 25 Aug 2009, 23:41   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

*Flayed Ones - Never used to rate them. That was before 5th introduced Outflanking! Great for taking out Heavy weapons squads hanging at the rear.

*Wraiths - They are awesome. If they are getting shot up before combat, then you're not using them right. In Turn 1 turbo-boost them behind cover. Turn 2 move and charge 18 inches through any wall at what you wanna kill. Then it's time for some S6, I6, fun! >

*You can easily get by without a Monolith, just make sure you bring some heavy destroyers instead (3 if possible). Don't let anyone tell you that you don't need them. For anti-tank hunting, standard issue guass weapons won't cut it. (at least untill we get a new codex).
Old 26 Aug 2009, 01:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Why turboboost behind cover? They have a 3+ invul and a 3+ cover already! (the 3+ is for turboboosting)
Quote:
Quote: